new drop shot combo

GBW

8lb flouro.

20lb braid is over kill. When I do run braid as a main line, which is rarely, but been doin it lately, only on a backup rod because that's wjat was spooled on the reel, 10-15lb braid, and tied that to 8-10lb flouro. With about 10' length of flouro.

If ur worried about line twist, don't be... Its enevitable. No matter what u do, u'll get some twist, best way to fight it, spool ur line on correctly, and learn to back reel when fighting fish. No need for heavy line, if ur fishing deep open water, there's nuthin to break u off. Fight the fish properly, and u have no problems.

I run 10-15lb braid with flouro also, 6-8 feet of 10lb flouro.

I like braid, it's easy, sensitive, etc. I'm sure flouro works but I found the twist issue was more pronounced with flouro vs braid. I'm not a fan of mono due to stretch and insensitivity.

Braid also lasts a couple of seasons, flouro/mono don't last as well imo.

I think it also depends on where you will be fishing. If you are on a lake with very clear water like Simcoe or Erie then I would go with flouro. I am of the opinion that the fish in these waters are very sensitive to visible line, especially when finesse fishing. If you are fishing murkier waterways than I would go braid with a 5-6 foot leader, as there are certain advantages to braid that have already been mentioned.

Its pretty much gonna come down to what u prefer. I fish erie a ton, and I dropshot there 98% of the time out there, I prefer flouro. But like I mentioned, I have another rod with braid and a flouro leader, I've caught fish on both, lots of fish and lots of big fish. I've never been a big believer of line visibility. If fish wanna eat the bait, they will reguardless of what line u have.

Geoff I dropshot alot and have used both but im usually doing in or around weedcover as i dropshot large mouth and small mouth and myself use 15lb fireline braid and a swivel with 3' 10lb flouro, up to 20lb fluoro if the cover is heavy, seems to work good and twist is not an issue w the braid/swivel but it will loop up with fluoro only.Like mentioned depends how you fish, anything over 20' I would lean toward fluoro because the braid has too much water resistance to fish well deep forcing you too us a heavier weight and I have found the lightest you can get away with using the more fish you will boat.

Edited by hirk

I would also recommend a very thin braid or fused line of about 10 or 12 lbs test with a 6 or 8 lb leader that is clear with good knot resistance. Since I hate fluorocarbon (it's not true that it is less visible or stronger or less elastique or has more knot strength), I would use a good clear monofilament.

I would also use a good baitcasting reel instead of a spinning reel in order to prevent line twisting when fighting a large fish.

THANK YOU ALL!!!! I'm loving the feel of the new Compre DS rods and the new Stradic FJ2500 reel so I want to set it up just right. Cheers.

For now, I had a new spool of #8 mono so to test it out I spooled it on. I will be getting #20 spiderwire stealth to replace it with a floro TBD later. Cheers!

Geoff

Edited by GBW

Its pretty much gonna come down to what u prefer. I fish erie a ton, and I dropshot there 98% of the time out there, I prefer flouro. But like I mentioned, I have another rod with braid and a flouro leader, I've caught fish on both, lots of fish and lots of big fish. I've never been a big believer of line visibility. If fish wanna eat the bait, they will reguardless of what line u have.

Well put. In the arctic, the Inuits use rope to catch char and trout.

I've been hooked on 20lbs braid with 8-14 lbs fluoro leaders. Low maintenance and very sensitive, especially if your fishing deep with any amount of wind, you'll appreciate it.

MTB .. Haha are u serious. You may want to step down to 9lbs first, 8lbs might be too dramatic of a change :P

If its going to be a rod that you use ONLY for dropshotting I would recomend straight 8# flouro...... But if tou want the rod to be more versatile, I would go with 15# braid and a flouro leader of your choice. Then you can take off the leader and throw senkos ect...

while personnel choice is a big factor i have used many different set ups for drop shotting. i have used full flouro with a uni knot and leader way to twistie tried it with a swivel same problem, found mono didn't have the feel my overall best soloution was 15 lb power pro some small steelhead swivels, i have o couple of those foam lindy snell holders that i tie up various lb test and hooks to depending on where i am fishing on the lake usually owner downshot weedless style withe 12lb seagar for weededges and gammy drop shot hooks for nose hooking on 8 lb floro in more open areas and rocks piles ect