Fisher problems

NAW

So I bought a nice place in the country. Pretty much my dream home.

It's only 1.5 acres, but I have hunting rights to the 150 acre property next to me.

On Sat, I went in to the bush for the first time to do a little scouting, and hang a tree stand for the shotgun season.

Went in early on Sunday to see if I could get an idea of the deer patterns in that area. But instead of seeing deer, I saw a big old fisher.

I tried to go have a closer look at it, and the dam thing charged me. Didn't stop untill I drew my bow.. This crazy little animal had no fear of me.

It was way to fast to get a shot off. Which is a good thing, because I later found out, that you are not allowed to hunt them, unless you are a trapper.

Have any of you guys/gals had issues with Fishers before, and if so what did you do about it?

I have an 11lb fu-fu dog. Easy dinner for a fisher.

I've seen them in the woods out behind my place too and did a bit of reading on them. Sounds like they can be a pretty nasty critter and one article I read said their one of the few animals that'll kill a porcupine.

I've done a little reading too.

Nearly extinct back in the day. Re-introduced, maybe by MNR, maybe to control porcupine.. Roomers?

But one thing for sure, I've been told by several people, that pound for pound they are one of the most aggressive, dangerous animals out there. No threat to an adult, but for cats and dogs for sure. Even fawn deer have been killed. One attacked a 6 year old boy, and chewed his leg up pretty good.

I walk my little pooch in the woods everyday and he's always sniffing everything and every once in awhile he'll sniff something he doesn't like and run for home. Don't know if it's a bear or a fisher but he never hangs around to find out.

I saw a fisher at Liberty Lake with my wife. It didn't attack us, but it was cool to see. I didn't even know what they were until I got home and started to research what it could be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olA3mn-9_e8

edit: umm, I didn't watch the whole video before I posted... it gets kinda weird. lol

Every member of the weasel family kill for the pleasure of killing. They're agile, quick and intelligent. Cute little guys though. :)

Ferrets are in the same family. I'm disappointed that mine hasn't killed my cat yet. I don't know what's taking him so long, I've had him for like 6 years. That's plenty of time to get the job done. I think he's just lazy.

Edited by Dana

Ferrets are in the same family. I'm disappointed that mine hasn't killed my cat yet. I don't know what's taking him so long, I've had him for like 6 years. That's plenty of time to get the job done. I think he's just lazy.

rofl2.gif You owe me a keyboard, a white dress shirt, and a red and blue striped tie.w00t.gif

I put a call into the MNR, and am waiting for them to call back. I want to know if this animal comes on my property, if I am allowed to shoot it. Or do I have to wait for it to do something crazy, like attack my dog..

We had issues with mink for a while at the cottage...

I got home late from walleye finishing... So I threw the walleye in our minnow tank to gut in the morning... Woke up... All gone... 5 walleye up to 4 lbs all gone... Tiny footprints all over the minnow tank... We later caught one in the act of steeling minnows from the same tank...

Hard to believe a tiny mink could wrestle a healthy 4lb walleye out os a big tank full of water...

Edited by Musky Mike

Fisher and marten are two different critters, same family though. Fisher is bigger than marten. I was sitting a deer watch one time and had a fisher come out to me. He sat on a log about 15 feet away from me and chattered at me for about 5 minutes. Wasn't nasty but I didn't give him reason to be. I didn't make any sudden moves but my gun was ready in case he did. When I had a farm, there was a marten caused me some problems with my chickens for a while. I fixed that pretty quick.

My friends have a deer camp in manooth , ive wrote about it before . Deer , bear , moose , and birds ,lots of fishing 5 or 6 lakes within walking distance for lakers , brookies ,eyes ,smallys,perch and even a little bit of rabbit's when things are slow .We had two or three of these varmits raiding the camp . bring home a stringer of eyes leave them out on the cutting board for breakfest , wake up to one or two full fish and two three heads ??? hang a deer and some thing chewed on the legs ,whole rabbits taken off the line , WHAT IS UP , When we went after these guys , we figgered these would be easy to kill as they have no fear of man ,run right up to you hissing and barking like an out of control lap dog. but after checking out if we could kill these buggers , it was NO GO ,mnr guy comes by at least once a month to our camp , as he knows we are good and wants to know what we have seen and how we are doing , allways help out these guys as we have nothing to hide and because at least one or two of us are in the bush most hunting days we can tell them whats going on .So to deal with this problem we changed up to paint ball guns , tho fast movers there were still lots of purple and red martins/fishers for a few weeks around the camp , and we found after a hit or two they moved on to better areas.But we still have many vids from the trail cams of (and my Boyys run on the extra large size, funny to see a 2 hundred pound guy running for his life from a 3 /4 pound varmit) , running back from the out house with a Wiesell on their tail. They are tough guys not afraid of much , but paint them purple or red and they run like chickens with Col Sanders on their tail . lmao

I saw a fisher at Liberty Lake with my wife. It didn't attack us, but it was cool to see. I didn't even know what they were until I got home and started to research what it could be.

This guy at Liberty?

100_0302.jpg

He/she was on shore when it saw me, then jumped in and swam right out to my canoe. It would have come closer had I not moved to take my lure out of his strike zone.

I don't think it's a fisher...

N.A.W.: That's a crazy story.... I bet your heart rate went up rapidly! haha.