ice fishing prep - what do I need?

adolson

Alright, I have decided that here's what I'm going to try to get:

• warm clothing / boots / gloves
  • icepicks
  • spud bar
  • auger (FinBore or Swede-Bore, probably, 6" I guess)
  • cheapo ice rod
  • skimmer
  • rope
  • 2012 sports fishing license
  • sled (maybe, it'd have to fit in my car and I'd have to struggle carrying this stuff in a backpack first)

I have chairs and clip-on polarized sunglasses already, as well as a rod holder (my hands).

Don't forget the toilet paper..... :whistling:

Interesting hearing everyone's perspective.

In my opinion success in ice fishing is very dependant on your rod/reel...people always try to cheap out in this area -- not wise.

What do you plan to fish for? This totally dictates what you should be getting...

For example -- fishing for lake trout, you'll need a medium/heavy rod - 32 inches, 10lb braid, and a very good drag on your reel. Fishing for specs, 28 in med rod, 8lb braid. Perch, very light action rod, 2-4lb braid, etc...make sense?

If you're walking into lakes you'll need a sled for sure. Forget the hut...good ice fisherman move constantly. Turn your back to the wind and dress warm.

You'll need a fish finder for sure! Absolutely critical...you can't catch what isn't there, and you must know depths and structure. Forget the hand auger, get a gas auger -- best money you'll spend other than the fish finder. With the hand auger you sweat, then you get cold...trust me on that.

Your list should be ammended to:

warm clothing/boats/gloves

power auger

fish finder

quality rod/reel with braided line and flouro leaders

skimmer

sled

rope, picks, spud bar

As someone else said, go with a friend the first few times so you're sure you like it. Beats selling everything half off if you find out you don't.

Ice fishing is all about location and technique. Try to go with someone who knows...you'll catch fish and have fun. Just walking onto some lake with no idea is almost a guaranteed failure and no fun at all imo...

Good luck!

Nipissing 2012 Hardwater G2G....'nough said. Hopefully TJ will be there again this year. I highly recomment the 2hr drive for this event. More details will be posted as it approaches.

We should definitly try McNab this winter, we'll have a fire on shore and cook up some smokies.... you and me both have a vendetta on that lake, don't we? ninja.gif On lakes that are less travelled, like some have mentioned I'll pop a hole every 10-15 feet to ensure it's safe. There is a 100% chance I'll be up your way this winter, so we'll make some plans once the ice is thick.

DanC said it best, keep it simple and warm and your good to go. In my opinion, having to organize, maintain and haul a large amount of gear actually makes you less likely to hit the ice.

for years I fished like DanC...auger, spool of line/leaders/hooks, scooper and some bait. The odd fire on the ice. Simple as that and minimal investment. Its only been the last year I've added some comforts...portable hut, heater. Fishing can definitely be enjoyable when you're roughing it....but now I'm old and want to stay warm

Of course everyone has their preferences Dana, so you'll have to figure some of this out on your own through trials/experience.

I have a nice ice shack, seats 5 comfortably. And I still prefer to be outside of the shack, drilling holes by hand. I only use my shack about 10 times per season, and I go out almost everyday when the ice is in. The shack gets my preference though for night fishing, or when I have company.

If you buy a hand auger, always keep spare blades. And a towel to remove the ice/water from the blades after drilling a hole. And be careful around the blades!!!!! I've seen some gnarly cuts by people getting too cozy and not paying attention to what their doing.

Ice fishing is alot of fun. I'm sure if you get out there and do good, you'll be addicted. There is something about a successful ice fishing trip, baring the elements, thats just feels really awesome!

I agree with FamilyFisherman and others when they say go out with friends a few times.....if not for an entire season on the ice. Buy yourself a good rod/reel and some warm clothes and head out with buddies that have the proper gear. Learn the lakes, techniques and tricks and then decide if you really want to invest in the sport. I started off like everyone else here....walking out, sitting in the elements,no fish finder, getting skunked.(I know some of you still do this) hahaha. Then moved into a pop-up hut with a fish finder catching a few now and again. Now I have 2 flip-over style huts, gas auger, good fish finder, heater, atv and totally enjoy heading out with buddies that are in your situation Dana. Nothing like seeing someone new to ice fishing hook into a nice laker or whitey. Makes it all worth-while.

Have fun and don't break the bank in your first season.......wait til the next hardwater season to do that!!! :)

Cheers,

Colin

Edited by ckrb2007

Best advice I can give with regards to a Manual auger Dana. Get a strikemaster lazer or a Fin bore lll. They have a curved blade...this is the key. The curved style blades cut a lot better/easier then the swede bore and other straight bladed augers...and I do mean alot better. You can't believe the difference. It is the only thing besides good clothing I would never cheap out on.

Don't forget the toilet paper..... :whistling:

Yeah. I'll buy that new. Never tried it second-hand, but something tells me it'd be a pretty crappy experience.

Nipissing 2012 Hardwater G2G....'nough said. Hopefully TJ will be there again this year. I highly recomment the 2hr drive for this event. More details will be posted as it approaches.

Oh dude, you know I'll be there. As long as it doesn't conflict with anything more important on my schedule that can't be adjusted (wife's birthday is early next year, for example), which I'm sure it won't. And of course, as long as the ice is thick enough to hold me.

We should definitly try McNab this winter, we'll have a fire on shore and cook up some smokies.... you and me both have a vendetta on that lake, don't we? ninja.gif On lakes that are less travelled, like some have mentioned I'll pop a hole every 10-15 feet to ensure it's safe. There is a 100% chance I'll be up your way this winter, so we'll make some plans once the ice is thick.

McNab is definitely on my hit-list. I'd love, love, LOVE to hit #51 but somehow I doubt they plow the roads that far... I bet the snowplow would bottom out on some of that road, haha. Do they plow into #25? In any case, I'm down for some adventures.

Best advice I can give with regards to a Manual auger Dana. Get a strikemaster lazer or a Fin bore lll. They have a curved blade...this is the key. The curved style blades cut a lot better/easier then the swede bore and other straight bladed augers...and I do mean alot better. You can't believe the difference. It is the only thing besides good clothing I would never cheap out on.

Thanks! This is exactly the thing I was hoping to learn through this thread. I'm definitely going to go manual. I don't mind doing the work, and I understand about getting sweaty. I'm willing to risk that. Besides, I've seen that most of them can be adapted to a high-torque cordless drill if I really want to go powered some day, which I don't plan to, but the option would likely be there.

What do you plan to fish for? This totally dictates what you should be getting...

For example -- fishing for lake trout, you'll need a medium/heavy rod - 32 inches, 10lb braid, and a very good drag on your reel. Fishing for specs, 28 in med rod, 8lb braid. Perch, very light action rod, 2-4lb braid, etc...make sense?

Makes sense, yes, but honestly seems unnecessary. I only use one rod in the summer, and I have caught bass, pike, walleye, brook trout, perch, rock bass... Yet I know some people have a different rod for frogging, a different rod for jigging, a different rod for panfish, a different rod for this and a different rod for that. I think somewhere in the middle - at least to get me started - is what I'll do. Like others have said, a rod isn't even necessary, I just think I prefer it at this point. And I've heard too many horror stories about braid icing up for me to want to use it, especially if I

and had to pull by hand.

You'll need a fish finder for sure! Absolutely critical...you can't catch what isn't there, and you must know depths and structure.

I have one, and apparently it can be used for ice fishing. I think it lies to me in summer fishing though, because it was marking tons of fish in Liberty Lake. It's really old and a bit beastly, though. I'd like a better one that I could use for my canoe and for ice fishing, but I won't have the money to drop like $300+ on that for a while. If there's a good model that's cheaper, I could put it on my Christmas list. But I kinda want one with maps and stuff, so it seems like a long-term purchase, to me. I could tote my current one around with me, but I have ideas of where I want to try already.

As someone else said, go with a friend the first few times so you're sure you like it. Beats selling everything half off if you find out you don't.

Ice fishing is all about location and technique. Try to go with someone who knows...you'll catch fish and have fun. Just walking onto some lake with no idea is almost a guaranteed failure and no fun at all imo...

I've been with people who have decades of success, and still we caught nothing, but yes, I hear the advice and I get it. The only problem I have is finding people within an hour's drive to actually go with when I get that urge on a weeknight after work, or with last-minute notice on a weekend, for example. There are none on this forum it seems, and the people I've fished with that live near me are very unreliable and wishy-washy about it. That being said, I plan to go to North Bay with Rod Caster and Nipfisher and whoever else is there, and I also have tentative plans with my uncle and my wife's uncle to go to their favorite spots on Lake Temagami and I'm not sure where else.

I'm going to go, and at some point I'll catch something, and then I'm going to be addicted - this is how it's going to go, I'm sure. I could be wrong, but I know myself fairly well. I'm not really *too* concerned about ending up hating ice fishing at the end of this season. And I guess that will put an end to my joking around about it, too.

Hey Dana.

Ice fishing is not about catching fish evey time you go out.It becomes an obsession a labour of love.The thrill/rush can be insain and thats what keeps me going back for the past 35 yrs.I am 44.

More importantly is that you want to try ice fishing. :thumbsup_anim:

The best advice I could give you is spend your money on clothing first so that you are prepared to go out with guys that can show you a thing or two over the course of a day of looking for fish.

This way you will stay warm/dry and comfortable and not be that guy that brings the day to a misserable end.

Buy a used float suit(mustang 100$) get good boots with lots of rubber under your feet(1/2 inch min) and be prepared to spend 120$ on 2 pairs of gloves/mitts.As for snow suits the price range can get stupid I would sudgest getting one from TSC Edco snow siutes are made buy Choko and the value is great I bought one 5 yrs ago for 200$ awesum.(BLACK snow suits are the only way to go on ice or snow)

Your float suit must be big enough to fit over your snow suit because if you live 6 hrs north of Simcoe its freaking COLD and I have never had a problem with this set up -20-30 good to go.(very versitile)-40 I would be carefull .

Oh ya a dry towel for your hands is invaluble....

About 700$ to be comfortable without a hut about 1200$ with a hut.

Start with the clothing.

Good luck.

Saltydawg.

ok, not reading any of page 2 yet but here's an idea for you Dana.

got an old tent? know anyone with one that they are willing to give you free and not want it back? if so use it and cut a hole in the base to fish out of. where you need strings use the snow to keep in in place.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I ice fished in as cold as -40 for 3 decades with these bare neccesities. Warm clothes and a fire on the ice was plenty of comfort for me.

i agree with danc.

i STILL don't have an ice hut and i likely spend more days on the ice than many on this forum. often, because i'm backpacking i don't carry ANY rods because all they do is freeze up unless you are in a hut and they are just added weight. a few spools of line with a birch gad and a bell is often what i'm using for a still line! :whistling:

as far as an auger goes, i use a 6. i've pulled some decent sized fish through it. i also catch more fish because i can drill a bunch of holes every day instead of just drilling 2 and being exhausted like many with an 8 inch. i recommend the fin bore over the swede bore as it takes no effort to drill a 6 inch fin bore hole.

real men can take the cold

young men

medicated men

and

men who work outside in - 40 deg temp are used to being in -40 temps

so playing in -40 is nothing

but for someone who works in a office all day long. well....they are not impressed by the " give me a lumberjack shirt plastic bags for boots and some rope and a safety pin and I can fish all day in -40.......

try sitting in a office all day straining your eyes on a computer...worried if the air conditioning will work..now that's manly

...LOL

never mind... :sarcasm:

Save your money and go light as has been suggested. Five gallon pail to sit on, carry some minnows out in and fish you catch back. Dollar store sells some large spoons with holes in 'em to clear slush and ice chips out of the hole for a buck. An auger with the curved blades (Fin bore style) cuts best as has been mentioned already. Warm clothes with a hood (if you don't have a floater suit nothing wrong with a lifejacket over your clothes early season) and boots, back to wind. Don't go to far out from the vehicle for your first couple of outings and a compass is a real good idea. You can make some ice picks from two large nails and some cord and foam/wood. A kids toboggan (fairly long) with some milk crates fastened makes a good sled to haul some stuff and a platform you can haul across a break and help you get out should you get on some thin ice. After you gain some experience you'll know what else you want/need....

I'm also in the keep it simple group....although I do have a 1 man portable hut/graph/ number of rods. I just use my hut as a sled to haul my gear. I've never actually fished from the inside of it, just half flip it for a wind break and I'm good to go.

I actually won an ice derby last winter with the old stick and string set up, and always use one, in tough conditions. They are pretty much a no fail set up, and work in any condition, for any kind of fish. Ya really can't go wrong.

You really don't need much, but warm gear. That is very important. Lots of wool. Socks, mitts, toque....can't beat merino wool. I don't care what anyone argues, wool is tried, tested and proven to keep ya warm and dry!

Don't cheap out on boots either. Spend a few bucks on quality boots, and some good socks. I really like the Bass pro socks, and they are guaranteed for life!!

After that, you need a decent auger. I drilled with a swede bore for around 20 years before switching to a fin bore 3, and the difference is night and day. It took me a while to get used to turning the fin bore, but once I got the hang of it, drilling a hole is a piece of cake. I have only ever used an 8", but have drilled and fished from smaller. They are obviously easier to drill, but I like the bigger holes myself. They freeze up slower, and make it that much easier to land a big fish thru. With that said, I have iced a 7lb laker thru a 4" hole, so I'm not saying a small auger won't work!!! It will, you just gotta take your time with a big fish.

You can go all out and have soo much gear that you won't be able to haul it out, or you can go out and sit on a bucket with a stick and string. You will still catch the same fish. If there is one piece of equipment I would highly reccomend, it would be a graph/flasher. You WILL catch more fish with one thru the ice!

S.