Thoughts on this PFD ??

lew

I'm starting to make out my Christmas Wish list for Santa and have decided it's time to catch up to the 21st century and get myself an auto-inflatible PFD

I like the features of this one but wondered if anyone is familiar with this particular model and has an opinion on it...good, bad or otherwise.

I don't like ordering stuff on-line and can get this one down in Oshawa.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/deluxe-inflatable-pfd-automatic-activation-0?division=recreation

Good choice Lew. I've had that one for 2 years now and I always wear it. Always. I keep my conventional aboard as well. With the auto inflate or manual inflate PFDs, you must be wearing it all the time if it's the only model you have in the boat. And by the way...I KNOW it works and it works well. :D

Edited to add: Don't go testing it every week though or it'll cost you a small fortune in re-arm kits. :)

I got one for Sue when we bought our new boat last year and she loves it. (haven't had to use it yet). The thing is so comfortable you forget you even have it on.

I also have an inflatable but mine isn't automatic. I can't tell you how many times I have come in from fishing and ended up walking up to the house with mine still on because you forget you are even wearing it. I think they are an excellent investment Lew.

MY brother got one and two times it went off . HE left it in the boat and it rained and the thing went off. Not sure I would go with auto inflate. IT can get costly. I think a recharge kit is about twentyfive bucks. But they work well.

I have one and I really like it. No neck scratching issues have arisen for me. It was a bit weird having it on when I first started wearing it as I did not wear any life jacket before. After about four or five trips in the boat you can hardly notice it's presence.

as I did not wear any life jacket before.

Even now I seldom wear a jacket if somebody else is with me in the boat, but a couple years back I started to wear one when I was fishing alone. I find the regular jackets just too uncomfortable though to wear all day, specially in the hot summer.

These new inflatable ones seem like they'd be comfortable enough to wear all day, according to those who use them.

One of the reasons I picked this model Paul is that they advertise a neoprene collar, supposedly to eliminate neck irritation.

good.gif

God knows my neck is red enough as it isw00t.gif

They are light and comfortable, and easy to store.

oh and BTW. Keep it buckled up or DanC will delete your postwhistling.gif

Right Danclapping.gif

Edited by mercman

Even now I seldom wear a jacket if somebody else is with me in the boat, but a couple years back I started to wear one when I was fishing alone. I find the regular jackets just too uncomfortable though to wear all day, specially in the hot summer.

These new inflatable ones seem like they'd be comfortable enough to wear all day, according to those who use them.

Same here Lew. Once, when I was working the down riggers in rough water I couldn't help but think that all it would take was one good wave. Then reading about those guys in the paper on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario sealed the deal for me. Well who am I kidding, the bloody thing went on sale. lol.

Enjoy your new purchase, you are making the right decision as it is a very comfortable product.

$220 at Gagnons in Oshawa Tom, plus $14 for shipping if I want.

Good price Lew.

I bought two self inflating Cabelas brand last year and Barbara wears hers all of the time and Wray wore

mine at Lakair in August. They both find them very comfortable to wear and forget they have them on.

$220 at Gagnons in Oshawa Tom, plus $14 for shipping if I want.

I can pick it up for you Lew if you want and hold it for you. My folks place is near Fenlon Falls and I can give it to them to give to you. PM me if interested

oh and BTW. Keep it buckled up or DanC will delete your postwhistling.gif

Right Danclapping.gif

I bought the non self inflating model this past summer Lew. I was concerned about it inflating on its own if it got wet. I too suffered mild neck irritation, but solved this by making sure I had a shirt that went between the pfd and the back of my neck.

I noticed that Paul had his on, but not buckled up in a few of his photos and teased him that I would delete his posts if he didn't start buckling it up. Truth is that because it has to fit fairly snug, it is a bit of a pain to buckle up and I couldn't imagine having to do so under water if you went overboard. He now buckles it up.

Bottom line Lew. You'll not regret buying one. You'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.

I can pick it up for you Lew if you want and hold it for you. My folks place is near Fenlon Falls and I can give it to them to give to you. PM me if interested

Thanks Geoff, very generous offer, but when my daughter comes up here to visit she goes right past Gagnons and will be picking it up for me.

And Dan, I figured it was something like that. Didn't think you were quite as nasty as Paul portrayed you :lol: :lol:

I'm starting to make out my Christmas Wish list for Santa and have decided it's time to catch up to the 21st century and get myself an auto-inflatible PFD

I like the features of this one but wondered if anyone is familiar with this particular model and has an opinion on it...good, bad or otherwise.

I don't like ordering stuff on-line and can get this one down in Oshawa.

http://www.mustangsu...sion=recreation

Food for thought....I have tested mine and found it does a great job of keeping you bouyant (chest and face out of water) but for that same reason I found it difficult to swim forward in, due to all the bouyancy...I deflated it a fair bit to be able to move forward more easily.

So that being said, I'm not sure if auto inflate is the way to go....I like mine manual...this way if something happens, I can try and swim back to the boat or kayak etc without having the jacket inflated and being impeded...perhaps making for a faster and smoother easier re-entry into the boat. If I need the bouyancy...it's a simple pull. Mine is an older model...would be interested to know if others have test inflated and found the same issue in trying to swim with one on.

I defintiely wish I had a collar model though.

My $0.02.