The DeMarco By Paine Falls

solopaddler

In case anyone's interested Adam DeMarco of Paine Falls reels has a new reel currently out.

If any of the OFC members would like to fish one of these reels before committing to a purchase or just want to check it out drop me a pm and we'll work something out.

It's kind of an Apex/Mykiss hybrid in looks, although the back plate looks very "Clough-Like". Slightly domed and unmarred by any bolts, screws, rivets or lettering.

The black one pictured here actually has a hardcoat finish that's pretty slick.

I've fished mine now for a couple of weeks and am impressed to say the least.

Adam gave me 2 different dust caps, one brass and one black.

Both look good on the reel but I'm partial to the all black.

Here's the spec's on the reel straight from Adam:

Features:

- Classified as a 5” Centerpin, and is technically 4.950” / 125.7mm.

- Spool width 21/32” / .650” / 16.51mm.

- Spool depth 3/8” / .375” / 9.53mm.

- Overall width from palming rim to back of backplate: 1-1/16” / 1.0625 / 27mm.

- Mass: 10.1 Oz. (286.33g) Overall weight with 4.9 Oz. (138.91g) Spool weight.

- Fully rounded palming rim for increased comfort.

- Backplate domed and corners rounded to ensure maximum ergonomics and user comfort.

- Available with stainless or brass accents for handles hardware, dustcap, and clicker lever.

- Various color options (solid or mix and match reel component parts): Black, Clear, Grey, Blue, Slate Blue, Red, Bronze, Copper, Green, Violet, Turquois, Flourescent Yellow, Olive drab.

- Available in LH & RH Retrieve (LHR Clicker placement 4 O’clock and RHR 8 O’clock from spool side of reel).

- ABEC 7 Stainless Bearings.

- Acrylic Tapered handles (available in a number of color patterns including black and marbled colors. I should have handle sample board posted soon).

- Available in true 4.5” and 5” sizes (currently planning a 4” or a 4.125” run).

- Price is $550 USD shipped anywhere in the world.

October2011Steelheading049.jpg

October2011Steelheading078.jpg

October2011Steelheading077.jpg

October2011Steelheading079.jpg

Here's an all silver version (not hardcoat) that belongs to a friend.

DeMarcoReel.jpg

Edited by solopaddler

Mike, I Really like that 12' CTS! Soooo light.

MuskyMike: Around the $600 range if I'm not mistaken.

Nice to see Adam using his last name for a reel. I think we suggested that to him last year over a 12pack of Canadas finest, lol!!!

Is there a ballpark price?

It's $550 USD tax in, shipped anywhere in the world.

That's more or less the same price (I think) as Robb Marquette's Frogwater. Another small batch handmade reel made by a local artisan, which btw is a great reel too.

It's a very nice looking reel. Reminds me of my old Stanton.:)

A couple of questions if you don't mind - are the holes on the side big enough to stick your finger in to retrieve line? Is the reel seat made of plastic or metal?

I have big fat sausagy fingers and I can't quite get my index finger all the way through. However it actually works quite well when I'm inclined to retrieve that way.

The reel seat is either anodized aliminum to match the rest of the reel or brass. Your choice. The guys that are choosing brass accents like the dust cap and clicker lever are choosing a brass foot to match.

Mike, I Really like that 12' CTS! Soooo light.

MuskyMike: Around the $600 range if I'm not mistaken.

Nice to see Adam using his last name for a reel. I think we suggested that to him last year over a 12pack of Canadas finest, lol!!!

Dude, it really pains me to say this, but that 12' CTS is the nicest lightest stick I've ever fished. I'm getting another blank to have as a back up LOL!

I agree on the label, it's a good solid classy name. Believe it was Ferg who pushed him in that direction initially...

Edited by solopaddler

Adam makes excellent reels and his latest are really great looking. If your Canadian don't forget that you have to pay duty on the reel if you have it shipped in,I think the duty rate is about. 20%

There won't be any duty. If you want a reel you can pick it up in Hamilton at my place.

Here are a few more looks at Solo's friend's reel ;). I have to say that since I bought this reel I've felt no desire to fish anything else. One of the things I really like is that, despite the high tolerance, sand and grit are easily gotten rid of. The reel grinds it out quickly and you don't have to take it apart mid-trip. Lovely reel. I sleep with it under my pillow at night... :sleeping_02:

IMG_5849.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5851.jpg

IMG_5680b.jpg

p.-

You've seen it before Dave, it used to be mine. Pretty sure I've posted a few pic's of it before on OFC...

Not Chris's work this time.

To answer Edwin's earlier question the 6" extension was added to the end of the rod. First glued in then wrapped for extra strength.

It's permanent and non removable with the handle being built over top.

You've seen it before Dave, it used to be mine. Pretty sure I've posted a few pic's of it before on OFC...

To answer Edwin's earlier question the 6" extension was added to the end of the rod. First glued in then wrapped for extra strength.

It's permanent and non removable with the handle being built over top.

It sounds like a solid way to go about it. The way it was done it won't be coming off. Sorry for getting off topic a bit. Like i've said before the reel looks amazing.

I read on the "THE OTHER SITE"....Mr. DeMarco will be crossing the border soon...seems like a stand up guy from all that i've heard of him

Gezzz, Ive seen that rod some place before :whistling::D Looks like a Spiel work of art.

:lol: I'm into Solo's sloppy seconds! I couldn't resist picking this one up when he was selling it, because I love the blank and I also feel that it's just a gorgeous handle. I wasn't wrong. It's a great all-around rod. :thumbsup_anim:

That's the 2 piece XST by the way. On our last trip together, I also bought his 3 piece XST. It's got even more backbone than the 2 piece.

So now I'm set for a good long while, with regards to rods (and those juicy seconds ;) ); add the Demarco and it's like ice cream with your cake! :w00t:

p.-