Seat Belt Law

skeeter

Not to hijack tb4me's thread I started this one.

This video was sent to me a long time ago.

I watched it and it opened my eye's to what can really happen when 1 person in a car does not wear their seat belt.

Before I watched this video my reaction to someone who wouldn't wear their seat belt was, "well your over 16 so you will be paying the fine."

NOT any more.

Wear it or get OUT!

I showed this video to my kid's, in hopes that they would have the same reaction as I do now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzvzqaicMz0&feature=related

I wear my all the time. And I'm sorry - if you're not going to wear yours - you should be fined. Just like you should be if you drive on the wrong side of the road, or drive too fast, drive with no lights etc. It's just not safe for you or anyone else not to wear one.

I wear my all the time. And I'm sorry - if you're not going to wear yours - you should be fined. Just like you should be if you drive on the wrong side of the road, or drive too fast, drive with no lights etc. It's just not safe for you or anyone else not to wear one.

i think it's your life, and you should be responsible for it... if you don't wanna wear it.. it's all urs...

i think there should be a law for minors to wear their seat belts, but i think adults should be able to make the decisions for themselves

"if you drive on the wrong side of the road, or drive too fast, drive with no lights etc" is something that would endanger someone else and I agree that should be legislated... but seatbelt doesn't affect another person... I say if someone else wants to go for the Darwin award, go for it..

just the same idea of using winter tires or not.. I actually think we should legislate winter tires before seat belts

AH_LONG...........

Go back and WATCH the video AGAIN.......

The guy who was NOT wearing his seat belt flew threw the air and KILLED the 2 in the front seat , then went back and head butted his girlfriend twice, giving her permanent brain damage...........

If you dont SEE it then listen to the cop at the end of the video.

Thanks for posting this video skeeter !

Not sure if there's a video on Youtube but this pales compared to the ones you see in Australia re: drunk driving. Those are extremely graphic and extremely realistic and probably send a few people running to the washrooms to toss their cookies.

I used to be a 'will wear a seatbelt if I remember' kind of driver but now I'm like 99.9% of the population that buckles up instinctively and anyone who rides shotgun does the same or they get the Vinnimon treatment and rightly so.

I agree there could be less government involvement in many issues but on this one, not getting that feeling and don't understand the crowd that refuses to wear the belt.

i use my seatbelt... but I don't see how i'm going to put someone else in danger if I don't use it

edit: just saw the video... personally don't see how that would happen much in real life.. but i sorta get it

You obviously have never been near a fatal collision. Ask Lew who had years of experience on scenes where people didn't wear their seat belts.

A person that doesn't wear there seatbelt and ends up in the hospital for 6 months in a coma only the pass from their injures is the main reason that the goverment has seatbelt laws it decreases healthcare costs and saves lives I wear mine because my vehicles beep at me constantly till I put them on which has now just made it habit

sure a made up video convinced me..........not

I always wear my seat belt

but

lets make a pretend video of a car flipping over and bursting into flames..all dead because they were stuck in their seat belts.....

videos don't do anything for me

what was that movie they made us watch in school

Blood on the highway....yeah that scared us into driving safe

NOT

Seat belts have two glaring flaws 1) they have to be used and used properly 2) the do nothing to protect you during a side impact. The auto industry goes on and on about vehicle safety, but during a side impact there's nothing protecting you....that's what I would change, side airbags aren't an option in many vehicles

the difference between the injuries suffered by people not wearing seatbelts and those that do is huge. not to mention ive never seen someone ejected from a vehicle that was wearing a seatbelt. cars very rarely catch fire during accidents, unless on tv. you have to survive the accident first, then get out of the car - wether it is on fire or submerged...

i was at an accident a while ago with a kid who had supermanned from the back seat and was perfectly lodged up to his waist in the windshield with his hands by his sides - 2 other passengers uninjured in the back seat...which one had a belt on?

if you want to get put back together by the shared healthcare system you have to play ball and wear your seatbelt. (kinda same issue as motorcycle helmet)

as for side impacts i know what your sayin' FFA but it keeps you in your seat - consider 2 people in the front seat getting broadsided - the impact caused few injuries but neither was wearing their seatbelts, they smacked their heads together like a couple of high speed lovebirds - perhaps seatblets may have restrained them...can't say really - and you can be ejected from side impacts

unrestrained occupants, pets, coke cans, etc become deadly when they are flyin around the car @ 120km/hr

to suggest seatblets dont work is kinda like saying 50 years of automotive safety engineering was all a scam and that "I" know better than the entire auto community..

take care wear your seatbelt!

Edited by smally21

Yes you can still be killed in an accident if you wear your seatbelt, BUT, it lessens the risk of death or serious injury significantly. Whenever I forget to buckle up, a couple of little voices from the back of the car/van pipe up and say 'daddy, you are not buckled up' I want to be around for a while to see my kids grow up, so I buckle up.