1st time Musky fishing...3 fish 1st day!!

I'mHooked

Well, all I can say is I'M HOOKED (sorry, but it's true!).

Met up with Cowanjo last Friday 6pm at the lake (Kawarthas) and we were trolling by 6:15 for a couple of hours. Nothing.

After breakfast Sat. were out in the boat battling the wind and waves. Ended up finding some sheltered spots for casting some heavy plastics, ie. Bulldogs etc.

Well, it ended up being a productinve day with 6 Muskie landed and 2 others lost. There was some serious battling going on, and I was a Musky virgin to boot! What a thrill!!

1st fish went to Cowanjo:

10152011330 (320x240).jpg

2nd, to me at 43"

Musky_1.jpg

What a fight!!

Another fighter,

10152011337 (320x240).jpg

The other fish caught are on his camera still at the cottage.

We had a fish that was hooked doing the figure 8 right at boat side, with a few other follows to the boat that didn't commit.

We had 1 fish take a Handlebarz spinner right at the boat. He jumped & thrashed as soon as the hook was set and sliced the braid with it's gill plate...fish gone...nice Handlebarz lure gone as well. Oh well, them's the breaks!

They were all brought in on 80# braid with 100# flouro leaders on St. Croix Legend Tournament rods.

Oh, and to answer the question from a few weeks ago about the Curado 300E vs. round baitcaster, I was casting for a total of 13-14 hours over the course of the weekend and fighting what in my mind are some pretty decent fish (for 1st time!), and have nothing but praise for the 300E! didn't tire me out & pulled the fish in quick!

All fish released to be caught another day, a couple had the trebles snipped by some heavy duty bolt cutters and none the worse for wear.

I've never had so much fun being soaking wet, with the boat deck covered in hail at one point. Kidneys a little worse for wear after some of the cross lake excursions.

Hopefully have a few more pics from the other camera next week to add.

Thanks for looking.

Hey Cowanjo, don't forget to bring the camera back this weekend!!

Yes it is a rush, and what disposible income? I was going to pick up my 1st centre pin reel in the next few weeks too! Damn...Musky or Steel dunno.gif

Easy choice for me...........MUSKY !!!!! But depends on what you fish most.Sounds like you have the right setup for Musky, just do what i do, ask for Gift Cards from your favorite tackle shop for Christmas and Birthdays, and get the lures ya needwhistling.gif

That's really good for your first time targetting musky... Must be a natural talent.

Well my buddy who'd already landed 48 Musky this season so far described Saturday as his best outing ever, so maybe I was the goodluck charm. While he was telling me how challenging it can be to find them and get them to commit, it sure seemed like we were dialed in that day! Lost 1 fish on the troll with the double 10's cowgirl. Set the hook and the line just came flying back to the boat with nothing on the end of it! :wallbash:

Congrats on a great weekend John is one hell of a great guy to bad for the lost lure what color was it or can you say? Was it his special one he had me make here when him and Brownie were over?

If you get John to remember his camera please ask him to shoot me some pics also he will laugh.

Good luck next round.

All i can say is karma comes with the world best teams. We worked hard in wild winds last weekend. I now have two guys first time that caught three or more musky in two days. My aussie mate said fish of 32 casts,agree with handlebaz i need to download my camera for the season! I will hopefully post next weekend - Craig is awesome fisherman that watch and alsmost out fished me ! in the end we called a draw!

All i can say is karma comes with the world best teams. We worked hard in wild winds last weekend. I now have two guys first time that caught three or more musky in two days. My aussie mate said fish of 32 casts,agree with handlebaz i need to download my camera for the season! I will hopefully post next weekend - Craig is awesome fisherman that watch and alsmost out fished me ! in the end we called a draw!

Did you guys get 6 in a day? Or 6 all weekend?

Either way good job... Just curious

It may be hard to believe, but we were actually banging our heads because we didn't land those extra 2! :wallbash:

We were close to it being 4 each for the one day.

We had some success with grey, blue & black bulldogs on a continuous jerk, stop & reel retrieve.

I'll tell, it sure was a nice feeling when another boat got close to us and we asked how they were doing, they had nothing, we replied "Oh, we've only landed 3 so far :P ...we're hoping it'll pick up a little" :thumbsup_anim: