Super Lines

Billy Bob

I have a small 5' slow action fiberglass rod that I use for perch fishing...I have been using 4# test line but as you know it stretches when fishing in deep water....and my shoulders really hurt after a day of fishing if the perch are really active because I have to set the hook real hard......so I am considering a Super Line over mono that I have now.......any suggestions as which I should choose from ? ? ? After looking at Cabela's site, my head is spinning...the only Super line I use is Power Pro on my Dipsy rods as I like mono.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/fishing-fishing-line-super-lines/_/N-1100386/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104612580?WTz_l=SBC%253BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104719680

I've been a fan of power pro since it first came out, run it almost every rod now, from 8 lb up to 130

just spooled up some 832 and too soon to tell but it seems pretty damn good, better than power pro...slightly more durable and better casting

use fireline on some ice fishing reels because I think it holds less water/subsequently ice than power pro but frays easier, more like floss, not as round as 832 or PP, bunches on the spool easily if you don't stay on top of it

have used tuff duracast and hated it, frays easily and didn't sit good on the spool

you can't go wrong with power pro or 832...I use 8lb on a light action rod, works great jigging

haven't found that new berkley nano stuff yet but that might be good for you as well

For what you need Bob, try Nanaofil.I like its strength, but not the spool memory it seems to exhibit.

Its strong like braid, but very smooth and easy to retrieve.

For perching, the spool memory shouldnt affect you at all, but i dont like it for casting even though it comes off the spool effortlessly.When the line is slack, it sits there curled up on the water.Thats my experience with it.

Bob, if there were 1,000 line brands you'd get 1,000 suggestions on this thread. Here's my suggestion. You seem to favour brand loyalty in your purchases (Fish Eagle II)...you're already using PowerPro for other applications and you like the stuff. Go to your friendly neighbourhood tackle shop and get yourself some of this. It's available in 5, 8, 10 and 15lb test. You'll be glad you did and again, there's something to be said for brand loyalty.

If I'm using braid it's PP -- from the 50lb I use on the dipsy rods to the lighter 10/15lb on my jigging rods.

On a separate note since this doesn't deserve it's own thread: I'd like to start using braid for ice fishing applications particularly when I am fishing deep water. Anyone have experience with nanofil in these situations? I took a look at it today and judging by the texture it shouldn't hold water and freeze up. Anyone have experience with it?

If I'm using braid it's PP -- from the 50lb I use on the dipsy rods to the lighter 10/15lb on my jigging rods.

On a separate note since this doesn't deserve it's own thread: I'd like to start using braid for ice fishing applications particularly when I am fishing deep water. Anyone have experience with nanofil in these situations? I took a look at it today and judging by the texture it shouldn't hold water and freeze up. Anyone have experience with it?

I used it(Naniofil) for a small part of last season. I'll be testing it more this season as well (as I think the product I received wasn't a production ready version?)

I didn't mind it, but it wasn't amazing either. It did coil for me quite abit, and it still froze, but it took longer and was of less extent then other lines, which is a good thing. After my firs spool of use, my initial thought was "maybe a line this thin is actually too thin?" It seemed almost "slippery" off the reel, which was of some annoyance in certain cold weather situations.

I'm still open minded though, and I'd like to try it for some other applications more thoroughly.

oh, and man is it white, like snowblind white, lol

Edited by manitoubass2

I, too, am a mono fan, but this year I've used PowerPro, Fireline Fused Crystal, and Tuf-Line Duracast, as far as super lines go. So far, I've preferred the Duracast. I was using the green 12lb line (diameter was about the same as 6lb mono I guess), and I still caught three small brook trout with it (and lost others). It's smooth like mono, so it doesn't make the noise that PowerPro does going through the metal guides on my rod and it doesn't lose its color. Quantitatively, I didn't have as many issues with memory or wind knots or fraying as I did with other lines (including monos like Suffix Elite), but I'm now casting to the end of my spool so it's time to get a new line. I am going to keep trying other stuff, but so far I've liked it. It feels and acts somewhere in between mono and braid, I find. I'm sure there's someone here who has some horror story about it, though. (Edit: I just glanced back over the thread and yeah, someone already posted they don't like it. :dunno:)

I need to respool before the weekend trip to go for trout (weather permitting), and I'm not sure if I'll just put 4lb Trilene XL on there for that, or try out something new like NanoFil, Suffix 832, Fireline Fused Original, or Spiderwire.

Edited by Dana

Thanks, manitou.

Yes, the colour is going to be ridiculous for seeing against the ice...I didn't realize it was the only colour they produced, but I just checked their website and the only colour is "crystal white" as they call it. wallbash.gif

No problem. I should also mention the "new knot" is abit of a hinderance, but not of any real issue after a few ties. If I remember correctly, I used a 4lb version, and some of the issues I had may be corrected by simply using a larger diameter.

Dana, those metal eyes are generally referred to as "guides", lol, but we got ya thumbsup_anim.gif My apologies if you were talking about that "look" the girls give Eddie Vedder at a concert

Edited by manitoubass2

No problem. I should also mention the "new knot" is abit of a hinderance, but not of any real issue after a few ties. If I remember correctly, I used a 4lb version, and some of the issues I had may be corrected by simply using a larger diameter.

Dana, those metal eyes are generally referred to as "guides", lol, but we got ya thumbsup_anim.gif

HAHA, yeah, I knew that. I don't know why I wrote eyes.

I have had the opportunity to try out some of the NEW "Super Slick" made by Power Pro. I gotta tell ya, I was very impressed with the stuff. I am trying the 15 lb for walleye and smallies. Thinner diameter than regular PP and very very very quiet through the guides. I am ordering a 1500 spool of hi vis yellow to spool all my reels with.

You won't be disappointed with the 6lb for perching.

Cheers, Ron...

I have had the opportunity to try out some of the NEW "Super Slick" made by Power Pro. I gotta tell ya, I was very impressed with the stuff. I am trying the 15 lb for walleye and smallies. Thinner diameter than regular PP and very very very quiet through the guides. I am ordering a 1500 spool of hi vis yellow to spool all my reels with.

You won't be disappointed with the 6lb for perching.

Cheers, Ron...

I'm already a PowerPro user Ron but I was looking at their slick line and was going to wait until enough people had used it to get a good feel for the line's quality or lack of but with this testimonial coming from you, I'll stock up. Thanks.

lol, of course! By this time next year your gonna be winning tourneys, remember? Dana=the prodigy of angling!

Prodigy? Hahah, hardly. I fished a lot from ages 5-15... I just didn't know rules or proper presentation. Mostly did what the adults were doing. ;)

Dana, try spiderwire in moss green. it's round and casts well.

Hmm, cool. I'll see if it's at the shop when I go and give it a try.

I have had the opportunity to try out some of the NEW "Super Slick" made by Power Pro. I gotta tell ya, I was very impressed with the stuff. I am trying the 15 lb for walleye and smallies. Thinner diameter than regular PP and very very very quiet through the guides.

This Super Slick PP also sounds good to me, too. I'll add it to my own list to try out.

Are we just talking about whats the best thing "line and rod" for fishing perch Bob ? Because i fear i could'nt handle losing a fish due to a snaped line , i use trilene 10 pound test on all my rods , i know its sounds crazy but its been works for me so far and i like to belive i have it all covered because you never know whats going to get on down there . For hooking perch i use a 6"6" medium action rod , if i don't want tocome home after a long day of non stop perch action with sore sholders i taught myself to just pull off to the side lightly , and so far so good but what do i know .

Prodigy? Hahah, hardly. I fished a lot from ages 5-15... I just didn't know rules or proper presentation. Mostly did what the adults were doing. ;)

Hmm, cool. I'll see if it's at the shop when I go and give it a try.

This Super Slick PP also sounds good to me, too. I'll add it to my own list to try out.

Of course. But I find it enjoyable to see how fast you are advancing, thus my enthusiasm.