UARS Re-Entry Update

jedimaster

Here is the rss feed update Sounds like bull crap to me. At 7am they predict it will crash mid afternoon on Friday(thats 32 hours from the RSS feed release) They say it's too early to project where its going to land but they predictions will become more refined in the next 24-36hours...? Isn't 36 hours for a prediction late? Isn't that kind of like finding it on the ground and saying its likely to land here? They know exactly where its going to land, and they have Bruce Willis an a bunch of miners prepping to intercept it with BB guns right now.

Thu, 22 Sep 2011 07:44:51 AM EDT

As of 7 a.m. EDT Sept. 22, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 115 mi by 120 mi (185 km by 195 km). Re-entry is expected sometime during the afternoon of Sept. 23, Eastern Daylight Time. The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any more certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 24 to 36 hours.

I already calculated the odds on it landing on my ex wife, and I figure I am better off hoping it lands on my crappy car. :) Why wouldn't they(The They being the US govt or Nasa) use this as an opportunity to try and shoot it out of the sky with some rockets... you know in case the real big one comes.

Here is the last update....

Update #9

Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:01:35 PM EDT

As of 9:30 p.m. EDT Sept. 22, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 110 mi by 115 mi (175 km by 185 km). Re-entry is possible sometime during the afternoon or early evening of Sept. 23, Eastern Daylight Time. The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any more certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 24 hours.

Update #10

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:45:08 AM EDT

As of 10:30 a.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 100 miles by 105 miles (160 km by 170 km). Re-entry is expected late Friday, Sept. 23, or early Saturday, Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time. Solar activity is no longer the major factor in the satellite’s rate of descent. The satellite’s orientation or configuration apparently has changed, and that is now slowing its descent. There is a low probability any debris that survives re-entry will land in the United States, but the possibility cannot be discounted because of this changing rate of descent. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 12 to 18 hours.

Update #11

Fri, 23 Sep 2011 07:30:46 PM EDT

As of 7 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 90 miles by 95 miles (145 km by 150 km). Re-entry is expected between 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 3 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3 a.m. to 7 a.m. GMT). During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada, Africa and Australia, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote.

AHHHHHHHHHH EVERYONE PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink::blink:

Who knows, I watched the descent over Canada and then the Atlantic until 12:44 a.m. and it was still going when I went to bed, then this morning I heard it had entered the atmosphere way before that and burned up over the Pacific between 11:30 and midnight. :rolleyes:

Let the conspiracy theories begin :whistling::D