Towing through Toronto on 401

scugpg

I haven't done too much 401 towing and when heading north usually cut up through guelph to hwy 9 and head east from there.

Found recently that it burns a ton of gas stopping/starting through towns to get moving and adds at least an hour on the trip (barring no slowdowns on 401).

Does it bother you guys to tow through big traffic at all? When are some better times to head through T.O. and head to kawarthas?

Edited by scugog

ALL roads in and out of Toronto are insane during both morning and evening rush hour but as Frankie said, before 6:00 Am is not usually a problem and again in the evening is usually good.

The hours in between rush hours aren't usually too bad, but if there's construction or an accident somewhere, then it can get nasty.

100km/h with the cruise on will piss off a lot of people, lol!!

When is the OP driving through TO? Friday afternoon/evenings are the worst for northbound traffic (Although might be a bit better now that labour day as passed)

Southbound traffic from Barrie > Toronto Sunday afternoon/evening is also pretty crappy.

I've towed in heavy traffic quite a few times. No biggie, just pick a lane and go. Leave some extra room for quick stops. I bet bad traffic will still be quicker then zig zagging on country roads around the big smoke.

Folks may be a pain and not let you in if you are trying to switch lanes, they've never towed anything before. Sometimes you have to give them the, "here I come, like it or not" lane change.

Edited by Harrison

Depending on the time and day, spend the $ on the 407. I for one use the 407 daily (perq of the job). I find that the drivers on the 407 are better drivers, the traffic is always moving and the conditions of the road are second to none (GTA anyway).

It will save time and gas and will offset the cost of the toll. Where is your start and end points?

Edited by Oryx

100km/h with the cruise on will piss off a lot of people, lol!!

When is the OP driving through TO? Friday afternoon/evenings are the worst for northbound traffic (Although might be a bit better now that labour day as passed)

Southbound traffic from Barrie > Toronto Sunday afternoon/evening is also pretty crappy.

I'd usually leave in afternoon around noon and its 1.5hr to Toronto from here. It sounds like anytime after that it heats up in the afternoon.

So basically try and avoid from 7am-10am 4-6pm weekdays and Friday nights?

From Guelph Westbound it wasn't bad cruising at 100 and hanging out in the far lane.

If you can get up early, try to time it so you are in Oshawa by 5 am. If not, the 407 is worth the cost. I trailer to Shannonville 10 times a year and will not take the 401 after 6 am. They do not know how to drive and my boat is worth more then that.

Regards

You should be fine travelling then, just keep an ear on 680 for the traffic reports. They are usually pretty accurate and will give you a heads up to most slowdowns. Try to stay in the express lanes as these are the most consistent.

Cheers

It will save time and gas and will offset the cost of the toll. Where is your start and end points?

I would probably get on in Milton and get off at 404 and head to Newmarket and across. Probably quicker than going to the end of 407 and head north through whitby etc.

That would be expensive though.

You just can't cut and weave threw traffic... But it's not bad...

I just hit Cruz control at 100 and let everyone else zig and zag around... A steady 100kph is better then 80-100kph max... And 50 in every town you go threw...

Yes much over 100 isn't an option...trailer tires don't like that much not to mention gas and stopping distance etc.

Distance is almost identical either route, but time is a huge difference.

Edited by scugog

To the Kawarthas, take the 407 to the end. Turn left on Brock Rd and go to Coppins Corners rr21. Then turn right, through Port Perry (hwy7) to hwy 35 or continue to 115..

Check it out on Google maps. When ever I head to Peterborough it is my way of choice.

Regards

I have to tow onthe 401 east every time I go somewhere it seems..... :wallbash: IMHO it's the worst part of my drive and that includes the QEW..

My best ADVICE is get in the MIDDLE lane and stay there.....go about 2mph less then everyone and they will go right on by you....Stay OUT of the RIGHT lane as it's the most dangerous with vehicles merging onto and off the 401....

Happy Towing,

Bob

My best ADVICE is get in the MIDDLE lane and stay there.....go about 2mph less then everyone and they will go right on by you....Stay OUT of the RIGHT lane as it's the most dangerous with vehicles merging onto and off the 401....

Happy Towing,

Bob

This is the guy you can thank for traffic jams and people slamming on their brakes.

You belong in the far right lane, if you don't like the merging, then get up to speed and sit in the middle lane like everyone else.

If transports can do it, so can you.

Stay OUT of the RIGHT lane as it's the most dangerous with vehicles merging onto and off the 401....

Happy Towing,

Bob

That is a very good point thanks!...especially in spots with tons of onramps. Never thought about that but it would create a scramble to get over or slow down. But not slow down traffic.

Edited by scugog

you'll usually find the right lane to be the quickest way through traffic jams. it's embedded in peoples minds I think that the further left you are the faster you go. so the sheep crowd those lanes. i don't mind sharing with the transports on the right, especially when towing as it's usually a smoother drive than the gas/brake bonanza in the passenger lanes.

Edited by Raf

Talking about how to drive is like talking about religion...but I'm jumping in! I freaking HATE it when stubborn, ignorant people that sit in the middle lane while vehicles are passing them on both sides. What's worse are the people in the far left lane that figure "I'm doing the speed limit so why should I move?" Grrrrrr. If your being overtaken by other cars, move to the right! Ever wonder why it's illegal to overtake a car on the right in some european countries? It's dangerous that's why...a move to the right should always be reserved as a safe direction. Not here though.

Last month I saw a car sitting in the left lane during very light traffic and a police cruiser pulled up behind it. I thought "Finally!" Nope...cruiser moved to the middle lane with no signal, passed on the right and then for no reason moved back to the left lane even though there was no one around. Awesome, people don't have a clue, cops don't either.

Ok...done with the rant...go ahead jump all over it. smile.gif

I freaking HATE it when stubborn, ignorant people that sit in the middle lane while vehicles are passing them on both sides. What's worse are the people in the far left lane that figure "I'm doing the speed limit so why should I move?"

If you can't beat em'...... join em'

I love the 407,

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i've done it many times without incident however it was always work boats, not personal. if i owned a nice 20 ft fishing boat i doubt it would ever see the 401 and it's idiot rat race drivers.

Driving in the GTA on the 401, where the weak are killed and eaten!

Seriously dude, if you are already in semi-freak mode, just considering driving through T.O., then perhaps you should re-consider your trip...

And if you find that you must, avoid any and all day light hours... and don't look at the other drivers... you may be their next meal! muah ha ha ha!

HH

Driving in the GTA on the 401, where the weak are killed and eaten!

Seriously dude, if you are already in semi-freak mode, just considering driving through T.O., then perhaps you should re-consider your trip...

And if you find that you must, avoid any and all day light hours... and don't look at the other drivers... you may be their next meal! muah ha ha ha!

HH

LOL...not freaking by any means I just want to save some time and be cautious in the process. Towing on the highway is something new and lots of folks have good input and experience doing it here.

i will genarally run the 407 right to the end - then take 7th concession (i think) through brooklin and tyrone right to the 115

its a much nicer drive

mind you rush hour here is quite cluttered aswell

otherwise = i just wait until 7pm to leave and take the 401

but you roll the dice every time

Edited by K_F