plumber @ $140 per hour labour?

limeyangler

UH HUH. I am simply amazed at what hourly rates are anymore, for any trade. Sorry, but even 80 bucks sounds like a lot to me, especially if it's out of my pocket.

YEP, I agree....taking into consideration that Med School is about $250K a doctor is a pretty good deal compared to a plumber.

And Roy, I twice went to a plastic surgeon....that's why I'm so damn pretty... :P

But you could use a plastic surgeon if you have PVC pipes in the house...LOL... :rofl2:

Did you not get a quote up front? I always ask for a quote and state that ANY work that gets done beyond that must be approved or it would be paid for. That keeps people honest. Jobs don't get dragged out and I don't care if he pays his kid $1000 an hour. Oh, and not verbal quotes - written...quotes with a list of the work to be done and dollar amounts. Any good tradesmen/businessmen has no issue with writing a quote.

This will insure you pay top dollar every time.The way to get the best deal is to have a relationship with your tradesman,someone you have met thru social events or church or freinds.Dont just look for the cheapest guy in the phone book.Once you have that guy you can trust,let the man do his job.I give very few quotes,most of my jobs are less than $600 dollars.I'm not going to drive to a house for a $600 job that I may not get when I could run a service call and leave the house with a check.If someone pushes me for a quote I figure the job as if everything will go wrong the price reflects that.I alsp tell the customer it will prolly be cheaper to just let me get to work and trust me to bill fairly.On very large or new construction jobs quotes are fine because the scope of the job is a known quantity.

Joe

This will insure you pay top dollar every time.The way to get the best deal is to have a relationship with your tradesman,someone you have met thru social events or church or freinds.Dont just look for the cheapest guy in the phone book.Once you have that guy you can trust,let the man do his job.I give very few quotes,most of my jobs are less than $600 dollars.I'm not going to drive to a house for a $600 job that I may not get when I could run a service call and leave the house with a check.If someone pushes me for a quote I figure the job as if everything will go wrong the price reflects that.I alsp tell the customer it will prolly be cheaper to just let me get to work and trust me to bill fairly.On very large or new construction jobs quotes are fine because the scope of the job is a known quantity.

Joe

Next time I have a busted pipe, I going to church! Really? I was so busy schoozing the electrician, landscaper, dry waller and cabinet maker I forgot the plumber! wallbash.gif

Joe

That's exactly how I do business, Joe.

Next time I have a busted pipe, I going to church! Really? I was so busy schoozing the electrician, landscaper, dry waller and cabinet maker I forgot the plumber! wallbash.gif

I think you missed the point.I suspect you are missing it on purpose for some reason.I'll try again,read this slowly maybe it will make sense.The best way to get a fair deal with contractors is to build a network of friends and business relationships where there is accountability for actions.In your case if your plumber was a brother of a buddy of yours you would be able to have a non confrontational discourse about your billing dispute.The plumber would have to justify his billing not only to you(a person who will likely never call him again)but also his best buddy,your brother.Thats a totally different dynamic now and you would likely get a break on the job and he would likely get more business from you as well as future recomendations by you to people in your network.Does this make sense to you?

BTW,there are quite a few people at my church who have had busted pipes fixed at a fair price from a plumber they met at church.They have recommended me to their neighbors and one has an exellent bass pond that my brother and I enjoy fishing a lot.

Joe

I think you missed the point.I suspect you are missing it on purpose for some reason.I'll try again,read this slowly maybe it will make sense.The best way to get a fair deal with contractors is to build a network of friends and business relationships where there is accountability for actions.In your case if your plumber was a brother of a buddy of yours you would be able to have a non confrontational discourse about your billing dispute.The plumber would have to justify his billing not only to you(a person who will likely never call him again)but also his best buddy,your brother.Thats a totally different dynamic now and you would likely get a break on the job and he would likely get more business from you as well as future recomendations by you to people in your network.Does this make sense to you?

BTW,there are quite a few people at my church who have had busted pipes fixed at a fair price from a plumber they met at church.They have recommended me to their neighbors and one has an exellent bass pond that my brother and I enjoy fishing a lot.

Joe

It really doesn't matter what speed I read your condescending post, getting an honest job done at a fair price should not come done to who's within anyone's social network. Sure, you want to cut someone a break who you see every Sunday morning, that's awesome and it happens all the time. But what if you don't know a plumber? All I'm saying is it should be reasonable. I also understand that different tradesmen with charge differently based on experience, quality of work, timeline and work load. That's expected. The gentlemen who started this post was in a situation whereas he had no recourse than to hopefully discuss the bill and try to get it either back in line or he needs to understand the scope of work as to better understand the billing. This is a much easier conversation to has BEFORE the work is done. That's all I'm saying. And it doesn't sound like he had the luxury of "knowing" a plumber first.

And BTW, I too am a licenced trademen and my father had his own plumbing, heating and electrical business. I am now responsible for a 16M a year company of which I subcontract approx. 800K a month. Not plumbing. All I expect from any of my subcontractors is they be open and honest. I expect them to make money. If they don't, I lose them as a go to option for future work and we both lose. I've even had subcontractor up their price if I think they're trying too hard or if I think they have misunderstood the scope of work. Ethics has to come into play at every level of business, including yours.

Joe

What you're saying makes sense Joe.

But honestly I can't imagine anyone not asking for a quote. I mean seriously, no one calls a tradesman to do work on their house without asking for a quote. :lol:

morning people....thanks for all the replies.

I think the best way forward on this is going to be to just go through the bill with him on the phone.

Since my wife dealt with the call out and received the initial quote for $500 -$600 for the well line she has agreed to have the discussion with him first and see what happens.

We did not bother with a quote for the 2nd bit of work he did averaging out in our own heads what the cost would be based on a general idea of time/materials compared to the first job which seemed reasonable.

There is a question about the second piece of work he carried out was to solve the reason our deep well pump pressure switch was constantly cycling on and off....this just a few days after he had fixed the leak in the well line.

He spent a good few hours messing around with the pressure switch....this is when his assistant was basically there to hand him a wrench at @ $60 per hour.

After about 2 or three hours he said he realised he had put a valve or something on the wrong side of another join, and thats why he had taken so long to fix it....and that he would return in the next couple of days and fix the problem , and that he would not charge us to fix the mistake( mind you he was going to charge us for the initial work and screw up time).

Fair enough i thought....all this time not thinking i'm being charged double rate with his young padawan in tow.

So he comes back and does the work. he is there for another 2 hours.

All in all with well job thats 9 hours labour on the bill. The time is not broken down to dates...just a lump sum. I know he needs to take off at least 2 hours of that.

I am not happy that i was charged for his assistant to basically watch....i dont give a frigg about thats what normally happens...its not right...even though i understand that it would be difficult to turn the clock on and off for the assistant....well tough...do it...its my friggin money! If you know you are coming out to do ma certain type of job.

I did like the suggestion somebody made about asking what the young lads credentiALS ARE.

Anyway...thanks a lot for the replies people...some useful insights :thumbsup_anim:

Simon,this is the main reason I learned all I could regarding rural water systems,if this guys name is Jack & also is a resident of your lake,he does great work but he ain't cheap.I found him reasonable to talk to about my bill.

I have watched him work outdoors cutting thru 2ft of ice to change a pump in the lake at -40C,nobody has enuf $$$ for me to do that.

Simon,this is the main reason I learned all I could regarding rural water systems,if this guys name is Jack & also is a resident of your lake,he does great work but he ain't cheap.I found him reasonable to talk to about my bill.

I have watched him work outdoors cutting thru 2ft of ice to change a pump in the lake at -40C,nobody has enuf $$$ for me to do that.

Nope the guy is not called Jack...but if you would be kind enough to PM me his name and contact i would appreciate it.

I feel cheated by my parents :sarcasm: ....they pushed for me to study academic topics at Uni....i will definitely be pushing my son towards a trade...that way he can print his own money and be able to afford to pay for his own academic studies later in life if he chooses to do so.

I have in my hands a list that has different contractors that will do work at any of my customers houses for a reasonable price if they mention my name to them. The reason is they have all been screened by me and given the instructions that my customers are to be treated the same way I treat them... with excellence. If the customer is unhappy they are told to call me and I will mediate the issue. I have to this day never had to do this. I have run my company modeled after Daplummas company right down to making it unnecessary to advertise or even put a name or logo on the trucks. The business is word of mouth it means people are so happy they tell their friends who we are. Their is a trust built up even before you enter the door. While not normal keep looking their are companies that work the same old fashion way they earn your trust and you are grateful for a fair price and a great job.

Art

I have in my hands a list that has different contractors that will do work at any of my customers houses for a reasonable price if they mention my name to them. The reason is they have all been screened by me and given the instructions that my customers are to be treated the same way I treat them... with excellence. If the customer is unhappy they are told to call me and I will mediate the issue. I have to this day never had to do this. I have run my company modeled after Daplummas company right down to making it unnecessary to advertise or even put a name or logo on the trucks. The business is word of mouth it means people are so happy they tell their friends who we are. Their is a trust built up even before you enter the door. While not normal keep looking their are companies that work the same old fashion way they earn your trust and you are grateful for a fair price and a great job.

Art

Ive got a mechanic like you aplumma. And he'll get my business every time.

Matter of fact, hes right across the street from my office,.......and HE comes over to pick up my vehicle to take it over to the garage. HE brings it back to me and just leaves my keys with the receptionist. Doesnt ask to see me for payment, just does the work, drops it off, and knows ill be bye to drop off a check the next time i pass him. He tops fluids off no matter what hes servicing,... He'll tell me whats actually wrong even if its the cheaper fix (thanks ford dealership lol).....He even leaves little gifts on my seat for me like multi-tool swiss army knife kinda stuff LOL. Hes honest , fair , and if i get a steep repair bill.....i know its an honest one.

Ill pay for this guy all day long and KNOW that hes worth his weight in gold.

And ya know what he has in common with you.......Hes got NO SIGN on his garage, and NO logo on his truck. Word of mouth all the way and he gets plenty of good word!

Ive got a mechanic like you aplumma. And he'll get my business every time.

Matter of fact, hes right across the street from my office,.......and HE comes over to pick up my vehicle to take it over to the garage. HE brings it back to me and just leaves my keys with the receptionist. Doesnt ask to see me for payment, just does the work, drops it off, and knows ill be bye to drop off a check the next time i pass him. He tops fluids off no matter what hes servicing,... He'll tell me whats actually wrong even if its the cheaper fix (thanks ford dealership lol).....He even leaves little gifts on my seat for me like multi-tool swiss army knife kinda stuff LOL. Hes honest , fair , and if i get a steep repair bill.....i know its an honest one.

Ill pay for this guy all day long and KNOW that hes worth his weight in gold.

And ya know what he has in common with you.......Hes got NO SIGN on his garage, and NO logo on his truck. Word of mouth all the way and he gets plenty of good word!

I agree my auto mechanic is the same way he picks up my wife's car and fixes it then drops it off. I go by and pay him. He gets to repair all 4 of my vehicles and I TRUST him that is the key ingredient. A friend of mine truck wouldn't start I called Tim and asked if he could help. His help was to jump into their rollback drive 20 miles bring the truck in and find the ground strap on the starter motor was bad. Replaced the strap and handed the guy a $245.00 Bill towing and all. He was back running calls in 3 hours The next day he dropped of a case of beer and scheduled to have $1500.00 worth of work done. Look around folks their are some really great people out their to help you in your home repair needs Don't support the bad ones.

Art

I agree my auto mechanic is the same way he picks up my wife's car and fixes it then drops it off. I go by and pay him. He gets to repair all 4 of my vehicles and I TRUST him that is the key ingredient. A friend of mine truck wouldn't start I called Tim and asked if he could help. His help was to jump into their rollback drive 20 miles bring the truck in and find the ground strap on the starter motor was bad. Replaced the strap and handed the guy a $245.00 Bill towing and all. He was back running calls in 3 hours The next day he dropped of a case of beer and scheduled to have $1500.00 worth of work done. Look around folks their are some really great people out their to help you in your home repair needs Don't support the bad ones.

Art

You are so right Art. There are good guys out there, My mechanic is awesome. Even if I dont have the cash to cover it,he tells me no worries.Come by when you can an pay.

Simon,after reading all your posts over the years, I can tell your not an unreasonable man. Nor am I saying you are. Id call him up and ask why his bill was so high.If he is a good reliable Plumber he will want you to be happy when handing him a cheque..Word of mouth means everything to these guys. Epically where you reside. I too am self employed and can understand where his $140.00 an hour comes from..Keep in mind tradesmen ticketed or otherwise have families to feed too. The only difference is they also have to maintain and purchase tools, trucks and insurance, this all before getting to your house. Then he also has his employees families to feed as well. That's where you the customer come in. The cost of living has gone through the roof lately..Now imagine the cost of running a plumbing business or otherwise. I'm not saying you shouldn't ask him to break down his price but do keep in mind that farmers do feed cities, however contractors build them...I would have also asked for a quote in writing up front..I good contractor wont have a problem with that. As for time and materials I wouldn't touch it EVER..There is always someone thinking they got ripped off at the end. Yes you may get the highest possible price from the contractor when you request a quote or estimate but then again you don't run into surprises at bill time. Remember Simon us self employed folk want (need) you happy for referrals. Use that to your advantage when negotiating with him..Im willing to bet he will be reasonable, to put smiles on your faces..Good luck my friend