Camping trip

Rod Caster

Hey all,

Yesterday, the GF and I drove the 7 hour return trip from Lake Superior Provincial Park and are planning on camping closer to home tonight for the last night of our one-week vacation.

We had a blast at LSPP. We first stopped at the Agawa Campground last Sunday and on Tuesday we made our way into some backcountry camping spots, where skinny dipping isn't a problem. ninja.gif

The best part: I picked up a new-to-me Sportspal on the Sunday before leaving. $400 including trolling motor, 14ft long, paddles (not the best), life jackets and safety kit. This canoe is miles ahead of my old box ... it doesn't even have any patches!! This was a smart move because it was very windy the entire trip. I sold my old one right away for $75.

On to the photos.

Our adventures around Agawa Bay, including an Old Woman Bay visit.

100_0009-2.jpg

100_0092.jpg

100_0040.jpg

100_0083-1.jpg

Here begins the backcountry trip.

Packed to the rim! Good thing this canoe has an extra 2ft of space!

100_0097-1.jpg

The first night, I slept early and hard... so the fishing began the next morning. I walked and casted along the entire Island-campsite trying to get a depth profile of the waters using my Mepps Aglia Heavy. I'd cast it out as far as possible, let it drop to bottom and slowly reel it back to shore. A few minutes into a nice drop off, I got my first Laker!!!

100_0117-1.jpg

I cleaned that laker and then got into my first spec. What a beauty! I can't believe the average size in this lake.

100_0119.jpg

100_0122.jpg

Next up was a bigger laker, again from shore. I've never done well for Lakers so this was a real treat for me.

100_0124-1.jpg

100_0127.jpg

100_0129.jpg

Dinner

100_0136.jpg

Not the best paddles... lesson learned. Check them and bring a spare if needed. I spliced it up and it worked for light-duty on the return...but I had to work my asshat.gif off against the wind. This cut out the portage portion of our trip as I wanted to access a more remote spec lake. No big deal, live and learn.

100_0138.jpg

That night. Another nice Speckie. I finished the day catching 2 lakers and three specks.

100_0143.jpg

Next day: a one ounce bottom bouncer with a long go-getter was the weapon.

100_0148.jpg

She finally hooks into a nice one!! All smiles.

100_0151.jpg

100_0154.jpg

100_0156.jpg

She got the biggest spec of the trip!! Which makes me a...

100_0158-1.jpg

100_0159-2.jpg

One last spec.

100_0162.jpg

We finished with 11 nice fish over the two days of fishing. After this we were both happy and tired.

Off to the next adventure tonight! Tons of bass and maybe a Laker or two.

Cheers

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sweet trip. bummer you couldn't make it into the backcountry but it doesn't look like it mattered. i would imagine those strong winds and light sportspal weren't the funnest to paddle in with a broken paddle... haha...

cheers!

Nice report and pics! Awesome looking brookies!

That lake is chalked full of fish. I'm actually heading there tomorrow for the day!

I wonder which portage you had in mind? I did one of them about a month ago.

Again, great fish!

TDunn

...where skinny dipping isn't a problem.

Sure, all sorts of fish pictures, but where are the ones that really count? :D

Excellent report, sounds like we'll have to get up there, haven't been in that area since before I met my wife. Was up there with my ex, but she wasn't into anything other than make-up, celebrity gossip, and keeping me away from my friends. Monica, by contrast, loves the outdoors, so we could have a great time too.

Great trip. Don't cheap out on replacement paddles.

good.gif Lesson learned.

Grimsby:

Great report. Really nice fish. Cheers.

thanks! I've done lots of spec fishing but these ones were something special

NAW:

Looks like you guys has a good time eh.

Good deal on the new canoe!

That pic of you getting a wet asshat.gif is one for the books rofl2.gif

Haha...it's definitly my favorite photo of the trip.

Dr.Sal:

sweet trip. bummer you couldn't make it into the backcountry but it doesn't look like it mattered. i would imagine those strong winds and light sportspal weren't the funnest to paddle in with a broken paddle... haha...

cheers!

My shoulders were already killing me from doing 90% of the paddling + the trolling+boat control... The backcountry trip was too much to take on after losing the paddle.

Woodenboater:

Looked like a wonderful trip, busted paddle aside, and I'd be more than happy with those brookies and lakers on an interior trip. Speaking of which, LSPP has picnic tables in the interior ? How backcountry we talking about wink.gif

Yes, picnic tables and latrines on each site. The sites looked clean and well maintained but the rest of the area is mostly undisturbed...except for some portage trails. The site was approx. 10kms from the highway so it's quite secluded. The GF was happy to know that if a bear ate us, that the rangers would eventually find us...not that it would do any good after being eaten by a bear haha

TDunn:

Nice report and pics! Awesome looking brookies!

That lake is chalked full of fish. I'm actually heading there tomorrow for the day!

I wonder which portage you had in mind? I did one of them about a month ago.

Again, great fish!

TDunn

Thanks and good luck tomorrow! That lake sure spoiled us with some nice ones...laker fishing is always that easy right??

JohnnyB:

Lakers from shore in the dog days of August....crazy! Great trip and report...I really have to get up there....thanks for sharing!

Yes I was suprised too! You should definitly try LSPP... it's a cheap vacation minus the gas prices.

Mercman:

Great report RC !!! Yer lady looks like she really enjoys fishing.Aren't we just the luckiest dudes alive !!!clapping.gif Barb and I High 5 every fish we getthumbsup_anim.gif

Fice fish BTW

Paul

She does enjoy it...NOW! It wasn't like that before. She's now asking to hold the fish in the photos...next is putting the bait on herself! And yes, I feel lucky because she's always cool with me going fishing. She says she's just happy that I don't stay home and play video games.

Dan:

Looks like you guys had a blast. Really nice report Caster. My money says that you'll be back there next year.

the odds are good!

Dave:

Sure, all sorts of fish pictures, but where are the ones that really count? biggrin.gif

Excellent report, sounds like we'll have to get up there, haven't been in that area since before I met my wife. Was up there with my ex, but she wasn't into anything other than make-up, celebrity gossip, and keeping me away from my friends. Monica, by contrast, loves the outdoors, so we could have a great time too.

Hahaha... the water was very cold, not much to see. hahahaha