new rod?

GBW

Hey all

So I'm looking at the new Shimano's spinning rod's and I can't decide what one I should get.

The price point is about $30 between the Crucial CRC72MA and the Compre CPC72MC. Other than the IM10 vs IM9, is there anything else I'm missing? Like I mentioned in my 'new combo' post a while back this will be used with one of the new Stradic's (either Ci4 or FJ 1000's) for worms, drop shot and light jigs.

I just don't care for the new EVA grips on either of them... <_<

Thanks all.

Geoff

EVA grips suck IMHO. whistling.gif

Other than that I've can't offer any advice unless you want custom. :D

Don't you go messing with me now Spiel :huh:

I would love a custom rod but at the price either of these NEW (and I mean new, so new there is no stock yet) it's to hard for me to pass up. Unless you have a deal... ;)

Edited by GBW

Geoff, I've heard nfrom a few fellow anglers that they had Compres snap on them. No issues getting them replaced but still a pain to be down a rod on a trip. Haven't heard anything bad about the Crucials. I think they are easier to find in 2-peice as well which is important to me.

the brand NEW ones that they launched a iCAST npfish? Those are the new units I'm talking about, not a new last year model. the 2011 ones that are just coming out.

I'm leaning towards the Compre too f_f considering its more than likely last years Crucial with a new skin anyway.

it's not the $30 to $50 for the rod Jack. It's the well, what am I getting now for that cash? I'm real sure that the 2010/2011 Crucual is the new 2011/2012 Compre just with a new skin and grip (EVA not cork). Other then that I can't tell. This is why I'm asking because I can spend the $ on some other new toys rather then fall fool to marketing.

if you hate EVA foam like many of us do, don't get the Stradic Ci4. it has an awful EVA foam grip with an uncomfortable shape.

but the new stradic FJ looks fantastic, and has Septon handle grips which are great.

as far as the foam on the shimano's, go with a G. Loomis rod instead.

you won't find EVA foam on any of them (thank God) and they are amazing.

I have yet to fish with a Loomis model that I didn't love.

very well designed rods.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

Aw Art... :whistling:

to 12 V M, if I was going to spend more then I would have asked about the loomis line but I'm just not going to spend that sort of cash for a guy who get's out 2 times a month (on avg.) if I'm lucky! Last years (the 2010/2011) all had cork but due to the price of it most are going to fake cork or EVA to keep the MSRP down. I'm not asking out of sheer blindness as to what is what. I'm trying to justify the 2010/2011 Crucual to the new 2011/2012 Compre. Like I said, why pay more when I don't have to for a great product?

Now, review and start over... (is this OK Art? ;))

So, When and why do you decide to get a new rod? Is it when you decide to try a different technic?Or is it when you break a rod and need to replace it.

I returned to fishing last summer, i started with nothing but a boat.

I have a 7' H Fast Compre Muskie rod/Currado 300 reel for muskie

a 6'10" MH Fast Compre with a Daiwa line Counter for trolling walleye

a 6'6" M XF Quantum Pro Tour with a Citica 200d for fishing Bass with plastics

and a 6'6" H Fast Abu Vengance for crank Baits and Fishing heavy cover(Still have to put a reel on this onewhistling.gif )

and a Fennwick HMX with Pflueger lite spinning reel for perch and sometimes Bass

What else would i need?dunno.gif Why are you looking to get a new Rod Geoff?

I'm taking notes here cause Christmas is coming and i need answers to the proverbial questionswhistling.gif

well Paul, I don't have a rod and reel for this application yet. I have many sub $40 rod's (and sub $100 reels) but i don't have one for this set up. i want it to be my main 80% rig and it's a treat for me as I've giveing something up to get there. So this money is money I have saved by not doing something else i would do all the time. So at the end of the day, do I need it? No. Is it a reward? YES! I can get by and land many fish and many BIG fish with the few $300 set ups I have now down to my sub $100 rig's but to me, this is a reward chip/token/card or what ever some call them. This is why the $30 to $50 is minimal and means nothing. I want the proper rig for the job.

Just buy what feels comfortable and be prepared to spend time getting familar with it.

I have both and they are about 4-5yrs old wouldent trade them for any thing.

But last trip I broke 4"s off the crucial and cryed for a week :angry:

Ps. it took about 4 trips to get the feel of them INCREDIBLE for decent general pourpous rods.

1 medium

1medium/heavy

I know you don't want to spend the extra money for a loomis, but if you keep your ear to the ground you may be able to pick up a great condition one for less than retail somewhere. The balance and feel to these rods are great. I have two of them now and love then. especially my bronzeback. If not I would go with the compre...as was previously stated the difference in IM graphite does not seem to matter that much, especially if the components are the same.

Also I think you would be well suited with a stradic FI as they can be had for a decent price right now, the drag on that reel is great, I can't decide if I like my stradic FI or my patriarch better.

Edited by fishgreg

Greg, the good news is I have a buddy that has a buddy that has a buddy that has a buddy that can get me a deal. So I'm not paying retail by any means.

I have decided already that I'm going with the FJ (last year was FI) rather then the Ci4 due to the grip. Heck, I may even go down a model from that too because it's just a finess reel and not a casting for distance reel and save another $30 to $50 (= more toys! ;)).

Thanks all for the help but I'm about 99.1% sure I'm going to get the Compre as I'm 99.9% sure it's last years Crucual.