Tim Hortons

Lunker777

Well, I used to have a Tassimo, and the thing was a bloody mess. I miss the Starbucks breakfast blend, but not for long. Starbucks is jumping ship to Keurig, so GMC must be doing something right. But you didn't explain why it's an issue that they own a monopoly on a product they also own, as Keurig is owned by GMC? It's not like they own Kraft and Nestle and every other coffee option in the world. In any case, the patents on the K-cup expire in 2012, so their evil K-cup monopoly won't go on for much longer.

Any time you have a monoploy you can be sure you are going to pay more than you need to. It is my understanding that pattent extensions have been applied for. Will they be granted? We'll see! You seem to know a lot about Keurig and GMC, are you involved in the industry?

Any time you have a monoploy you can be sure you are going to pay more than you need to. It is my understanding that pattent extensions have been applied for. Will they be granted? We'll see! You seem to know a lot about Keurig and GMC, are you involved in the industry?

I'm not in the industry, no (though I did look at the stock prices for GMC - wish I knew about trading because I saw the Starbucks announcement a mile away, and the stock went up pretty quick after that). I'm a programmer for an ISP. Are you? You seem to know a lot about coffee, too. I love coffee, and I love my Keurig, and so I know some stuff... I've tried a ton of the K-cups, including the Folgers and Barista Prima K-cups and other stuff you don't find in retail stores around here. I just know I hated the Tassimo (slow, messy, plus it broke down after about 4 months - they replaced it), though I miss the cappuccino/latte capability. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. Terrible selection, though (last I checked, there are more tea varieties for Keurig than all of Tassimo's selection combined). I am not very familiar with Dolce Gusto or any other pod-based competition, and my only hands-on experience is Tassimo and Keurig.

I hadn't heard about the patent extensions, and I hope they aren't granted.. Paying more does suck, in any industry and any commodity, but given the crop issues, it's not really a shocker that prices are trending upwards. I'm the only one in the house who drinks it, and it's still cheaper than hitting Tim Hortons every day. Especially since the nearest one to me is like a 15-20 minute drive away. And at least with Keurig there are several options to use your own grounds - something the Tassimo design makes nearly impossible.

When I say I love coffee, I'm not joking. Here's a slightly out-of-date pic of my coffee cupboard:

coffee-cupboards.png

And there's more than that - I have a huge box of mixed ones on top of the fridge, including teas, decafs, and various flavored and unflavored coffees.Those green-topped bottles are another beverage system... Anyone know what they are? :)

Edited by Dana

I switched to MC D's a couple years ago when they started the FREE coffee to show off there new blend its great. I hate the free coffee weeks now as they are so busy I dont get my coffee to many people there just for the free bee but then again it works as I am hooked.

The price for a large coffee and muffin is $1.87 how can ya beat that the change always goes to Ronald McD house.

I too switched over recently and am a total convert. My wife unfortunately still goes to Timmies.

I love the Med coffee with $.20 muffin. Can't resist the muffin.

Hit the Timmies on the 400 service plex and it is the worst dish water I've ever tasted.

Worst coffee in the entire province. Although I'm not surprised. Almost all the Timmys in Barrie are extremely consistent. Although I make my coffee at home and bring a travel mug in the car.

Travel mug and thermos for me!! I can make a whole pot of drip coffee faster than waiting in line at my local Tims ( possibly the slowest in the country)

I do find that Mc D's coffee is better than Tims coffe though, and slightly cheaper.

I'm not in the industry, no (though I did look at the stock prices for GMC - wish I knew about trading because I saw the Starbucks announcement a mile away, and the stock went up pretty quick after that). I'm a programmer for an ISP. Are you? You seem to know a lot about coffee, too. I love coffee, and I love my Keurig, and so I know some stuff... I've tried a ton of the K-cups, including the Folgers and Barista Prima K-cups and other stuff you don't find in retail stores around here. I just know I hated the Tassimo (slow, messy, plus it broke down after about 4 months - they replaced it), though I miss the cappuccino/latte capability. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good. Terrible selection, though (last I checked, there are more tea varieties for Keurig than all of Tassimo's selection combined). I am not very familiar with Dolce Gusto or any other pod-based competition, and my only hands-on experience is Tassimo and Keurig.

I hadn't heard about the patent extensions, and I hope they aren't granted.. Paying more does suck, in any industry and any commodity, but given the crop issues, it's not really a shocker that prices are trending upwards. I'm the only one in the house who drinks it, and it's still cheaper than hitting Tim Hortons every day. Especially since the nearest one to me is like a 15-20 minute drive away. And at least with Keurig there are several options to use your own grounds - something the Tassimo design makes nearly impossible.

When I say I love coffee, I'm not joking. Here's a slightly out-of-date pic of my coffee cupboard:

coffee-cupboards.png

And there's more than that - I have a huge box of mixed ones on top of the fridge, including teas, decafs, and various flavored and unflavored coffees.Those green-topped bottles are another beverage system... Anyone know what they are? :)

As I mentioned in my original reply to this thread; yes, I am in the industry, I am a Key Account Manager for the largest Canadian owned coffee distributor LOL.

I have and do use Keurig, Tassimo, Flavia and many, many other systems, we sell/supply them all primarly to businesses and food service accounts but there is a growing demand within the retail market as well.

I was in Nova Scotia for 4 months for work and at Tim Hortons there, your expected to tip. They leave pennies and other change all over the counters to show how much they're hauling in. I wouldn't leave a cent because it's the same old lousy service you get here in Ontario. People would buy a 1.39 coffee and leave a buck! Unreal! I might tip if they got rid of those god awful flat ass pants and funny lookin hairnets though.

As I mentioned in my original reply to this thread; yes, I am in the industry, I am a Key Account Manager for the largest Canadian owned coffee distributor LOL.

I have and do use Keurig, Tassimo, Flavia and many, many other systems, we sell/supply them all primarly to businesses and food service accounts but there is a growing demand within the retail market as well.

I guess I missed that part. Not sure how, since it was literally the very first thing you wrote. :) If you sell to consumers via an online store, shoot me a link, I'd love to check it out. Right now I order my coffee from about three different sites, depending on what I want. I can always add another.

Well, being in the coffee business has been a real eye opener for me! Tim Horton's secret; they use 18% cream in their coffee most people (not all) who like their coffee black don't like Tim Hortons. MD's did a really good job of coming up with a blend, not bad coffee if you like blends.

I agree.

<rant>I drink my coffee black as a rule and when I am forced to have Tim's coffee, the only way it is tolerable is with cream. It shouldn't really be called coffee...

And another thing - how in the heck did they ever get to where they are with such bad doughnuts and bagels?? Mind you, my family had a bakery when I was a kid so I developed a taste for good doughnuts.

Marketing must the secret to Tim's success so they could probably charge whatever they want and people would keep going. It sure isn't the food and coffee that attracts people. </rant>

I do love their Iced Caps though and would pay more for them if I had to :thumbsup_anim:

They probably accidentally hit medium instead of small on the cashier, it happens. I'm not defending anyone just saying drive-thrus make mistakes and I'm sure they don't have weekly team pep talks to tell their grunt workers to "accidentally" hit medium on people routinely to make more money.

I thought about that.... but it doesnt work.... A medium is $2.49... I only paid $1.98

A few observations....don't want to be holier than thou but when I see the size of the servings at Sonic Restaurants on the U.S. television, wonder how anyone can eat all that!

-Since McDonald's 'remodelled' the stores to appear to be more 'upscale?' service has slowed right down. Their coffee has improved from the days when their supplier didn't want it to be known who they were...

-The only Tim Horton's to go bankrupt to be saved by the parent company (at least at the time I was there) was in Yellowknife. For some reason, during -40 celcius temperatures, customers didn't want to wait in a long line up which stretched into the parking lot, while only one cashier was working and the rest signed off at the end of a shift which occured at 7:30 am. The busiest time of day for a coffee outlet? Between 6:30 and 9 am.

-The worst Tim Horton's I ever went to was the one in NOrth Bay by the tourism center at the junction of 11 and 17. Three cold cups of coffee in a row, once waiting 15 minutes while the only server finished cleaning the floor. I will never go back. I hope no one else does either.

-The Starbucks cup referred to earlier is definitely worth the $20 it costs.

-Be prepared for various prices for the same product....the summer help is heading back to school which means training new staff. At least this is the explanation in Gravenhurst.

When did the Tims in Yellowknife go bankrupt? My wife worked there for a time and I never heard of this, though the service wasn't very good, like most places in Yellowknife tbh, they were one of the busiest franchises in the country.

I agree.

<rant>I drink my coffee black as a rule and when I am forced to have Tim's coffee, the only way it is tolerable is with cream. It shouldn't really be called coffee...

And another thing - how in the heck did they ever get to where they are with such bad doughnuts and bagels?? Mind you, my family had a bakery when I was a kid so I developed a taste for good doughnuts.

Marketing must the secret to Tim's success so they could probably charge whatever they want and people would keep going. It sure isn't the food and coffee that attracts people. </rant>

I do love their Iced Caps though and would pay more for them if I had to :thumbsup_anim:

Timmy's

coffee - Good

Dognuts - Bad

Bagels - Pretty good to Good

Sandwiches - Good but way over priced

My wife worked there for a time and I never heard of this, though the service wasn't very good, like most places in Yellowknife tbh, they were one of the busiest franchises in the country.

They still are stupidly busy.

If the owner had 1/2 a brain he would open another downtown and it would be just as busy.

Personally I don't go in there because I don't drink regular coffee and am staying away from all those carb filled treats in there. :whistling:

Might have to pick up a pack of timbits for the road when I leave for Alaska in 3 weeks though. ;)

There are always long lines at the counter and drive through but they are no slower than most of the Timmies in Ontario that I have been too. They may have stepped up their service a notch or two since you were here though.

Now the McDonalds in town may as well be a sit down restaurant as they have got to be the slowest on the planet. (I don't go there much either) :P

I guess I missed that part. Not sure how, since it was literally the very first thing you wrote. :) If you sell to consumers via an online store, shoot me a link, I'd love to check it out. Right now I order my coffee from about three different sites, depending on what I want. I can always add another.

Sorry, we don't sell retail at all, we strictly supply businesses; areans, hospitals, office coffee systems, restaurants..... almost any business that has any volume. Heck, if your volumes are high enough we even supply the brewers for free. For the Starbucks users, we can even supply that for their businesses as long as it isn't for resale.

However if you are ever in the Lindsay area I'd be happy to take you into our warehouse and you can pick up whatever you want wholesale. Mind you, we don't stock all the 250+ flavours available LOL.

Worst coffee in the entire province. Although I'm not surprised. Almost all the Timmys in Barrie are extremely consistent. Although I make my coffee at home and bring a travel mug in the car.

The coffee is the same at all the Tim Hortons, the reason that it tastes different is because of the water. Water quality has a huge impact on the flavour of the coffee, chloriene, hard, soft, iron, sulpher, mineral content.... they all affect the flavour.

You might be surprised at what it takes to brew a good cup of coffee! The quality of the coffee is without a doubt the most important, you'd be amazed at all the different grades of coffee there are but that aside:

Water is perhaps the most important but that can sometimes be compensated for by choosing the right coffee to match the water.

Temperature is critical, water should be 195-205°C for a standard drip brewer, too cold, it doesn't extract the full flavours of the coffee, too hot, it strips unwanted oils. Grind and time are important.

Leave it sit on a burner for more than 15 minutes, it starts to scald. Leave it sit in a thermous for 4 hours, the oils start to seperate.

You'd be surprised at some of the food services places that I go into and the first thing they ask is "how much"? They don't care about quality, they just want the cheepest thing they can get. They don't usually stay in business too long. The places that are successful take pride in serving good quality everything at a fair price!

The coffee is the same at all the Tim Hortons, the reason that it tastes different is because of the water. Water quality has a huge impact on the flavour of the coffee, chloriene, hard, soft, iron, sulpher, mineral content.... they all affect the flavour.

You might be surprised at what it takes to brew a good cup of coffee! The quality of the coffee is without a doubt the most important, you'd be amazed at all the different grades of coffee there are but that aside:

Water is perhaps the most important but that can sometimes be compensated for by choosing the right coffee to match the water.

Temperature is critical, water should be 195-205°C for a standard drip brewer, too cold, it doesn't extract the full flavours of the coffee, too hot, it strips unwanted oils. Grind and time are important.

Leave it sit on a burner for more than 15 minutes, it starts to scald. Leave it sit in a thermous for 4 hours, the oils start to seperate.

You'd be surprised at some of the food services places that I go into and the first thing they ask is "how much"? They don't care about quality, they just want the cheepest thing they can get. They don't usually stay in business too long. The places that are successful take pride in serving good quality everything at a fair price!

Great info Cliff! This has turned into an interesting thread...at least for anyone who enjoys their cup of Joe :)

Timmy's

coffee - Good

Dognuts - Bad

Bagels - Pretty good to Good

Sandwiches - Good but way over priced

Coffee: If you put enough cream and sugar in it LOL

Donuts: They use to make them right in the store, now they ship them frozen to the store and they finish them there. Next time you are here, I am going to take you for an apple fritter that will blow your mind!

Bagles: I prefer Beagles

Wouldn't buy a sandwich at Tim's so I can't comment. Sue makes the best!

Great info Cliff! This has turned into an interesting thread...at least for anyone who enjoys their cup of Joe :)

Isn't it amazing at how technical something that seems so simple can be LOL. I'll bet there are many others on this board that could enlighten us on their particular trades!

Cliff

Not only the quality of the beans but the quality of the roast are important.

I have seen too many places serve expresso made with inferior quality beans (bad roasting job) that I am very picky about my beans. I have been buying imported beans (from Italy) recently as our only local bean roaster has changed and the beans are no longer up to my standards. Can't remember the name of the beans I've been getting but I don't have a clue what the packaging says as it's all in Italian.

They are packaged in a good thick foil package and make a pretty decent cup of expresso.

I am looking forward to the day when I can upgrade my grinder and machine. I want a Rancilio Silva expresso machine and Rancilio Rocky grinder.

I'll gladly take one at wholesale if you gots. :whistling: