Incredible trip to Alberta - Part One

ccmtcanada

I had planned this trip to Alberta to see my brother for quite a while now. I hadn't been into the Rocky Mountains since I was a kid...the same age as Sydney is now. I never forgot how absolutely amazing it all was. Anyhow, I will let the pictures tell the story. I'm hoping the memories I've held since I was a kid are kept within my little one for years to come. This is only a fraction of the pictures I have taken!

Driving from Calgary towards Banff

001foothills.jpg

002driving.jpg

A few from the top of Sulphur Mountain, Banff.

012sulphurmtn.jpg

013sydme.jpg

A few from Johnston's Canyon

005JC.jpg

006jcbigfalls.jpg

Lake Louise...we rented a canoe and paddled out there...

a02lakelouise.jpg

a03lakelouise.jpg

Athabasca Glacier (Columbia Icefields)

a07athabascaglacier.jpg

Syd and I standing on the glacier

a10sydandi.jpg

Maligne Canyon

006.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid120.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo185%2Fccmtcanada%2F2011%2520Alberta%2FVID-20110807-00006.mp4">

Animals we came across...

Grizzly Bear

014.jpg

A tagged Elk

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODA3LTAwMTgwLmpwZw.jpg

Ground Squirrel

008jcgroundsquirrel.jpg

Mountain Sheep

003mountainsheep.jpg

Some random shots...

020.jpg

027.jpg

002adriving.jpg

Oh, I did get out fishing too...report coming!

I grew up on the other side (British Columbia) and looking at the Rockies never grows old. I drove to Alberta in 1998 and stayed in Banff. The highlight of that trip was a visit at Bow Lake. Standing on the dock you could toss a shiny coin (nickel, dime, quarter) into the lake and watch it sink to the bottom which was something like 20 feet. That blue water od Lake Louise reminded me of that. Thanks. Great report.

You and Sydney have had a busy summer! Great stuff bud, looking forward to the fishing part.

Mike..it's been a great summer! We are still here in Alberta...just outside of Red Deer. Today we go to the West Edmonton Mall to visit the indoor waterpark and amusement park...and the new Cabelas that just opened up!

Great scenery..Love th rocekies. Looks like a great trip and fanastic memories for both of you

When I was 10, my family drove from Vancouver back to Ontario...the memories are still fresh from when I was a kid!

absolutely STUNNING!

As great as some of the pictures turned out, the pale in comparison to seeing them. You feel so "small" when you are in that setting...and visually overwhelmed!

w00t.gif Simply..................WOW good.gif

That's what she kept on saying..."WOW!!". And of course I had to look at everything she was seeing..."DADDY LOOK!!!!"

I grew up on the other side (British Columbia) and looking at the Rockies never grows old. I drove to Alberta in 1998 and stayed in Banff. The highlight of that trip was a visit at Bow Lake. Standing on the dock you could toss a shiny coin (nickel, dime, quarter) into the lake and watch it sink to the bottom which was something like 20 feet. That blue water od Lake Louise reminded me of that. Thanks. Great report.

The blue water is incredible to see. We asked the park official if it was ok to fill a water bottle up with the runoff from the glacier and she said it was fine. It's amazing how clear and clean the water is...and cold!

As great as some of the pictures turned out, the pale in comparison to seeing them.

Thats always the way. :) Thats what makes them even more impressive, because even just the pics look overwhelmingly breathtaking . I couldnt even imagine how humbled Id feel actually standing there in front of all that.

You're just a few hours from Kimberley! Lake Louise is a stunning place to visit. Did you hike up to the Tea House!?

I just saw your report and said the same thing...that I was close to your restaurant!! Wish I knew about it sooner! We didn't hike to the Tea House as I had my little one with me, but one day when I have more time (3 days isn't enough to truly experience all there is to do between Banff and Jasper), I'd love to hike more!