My new fish-finder!

adolson

lcr4id.jpg

My uncle won this thing in a fishing derby in the 80s, apparently it was like $700 back then. Tried it out last night, saw some red dots, but didn't catch anything. I like the depth alarm so I know if I'm about to smash my trolling motor to bits.

I've downloaded the manual, but I didn't get to reading it yet. I need to figure out why the temperature doesn't show up. I'm gonna guess it's because the transducer doesn't support it. I'm new to owning a fish-finder, so that's just a guess.

Fun times.

Hey I had one of those! LOL great unit back in the day. I remember the money talk with my wife at the time...$700 was a BIG chunk of cash at the time. Hint, push and hold the zoom button until it beeps repeatedly, it is a bottom lock feature I found quite handy.

Dave

wow... antique unit you got there... it will still be able to help you catch more fish tho

Hahah MIGHT be able to catch more. Marked fish aren't always hungry fish. It'll add to your confidence in picking spots and better spots should, in theory, catch you more fish. Still that's a cool unit and I'm sure it'll be a great educational tool!! thumbsup_anim.gif

Dana, It will help you find the drop offs and under water structure and that is all you need for finding fish up here.

X2

Nipfisher is right. You dont need a machine to tell you where the fish are. You know what type of structure and cover a fish like, you look for that, and you will find fish.Remember, it will only show you what is directly below the boat, not off to the sides.Just because you dont see the fish on the screen, doesnt mean they are not there.And in shallow water, the beam angle will be even narrower.

here is a chart to help you calculate the area you are seeing on your screen.

http://www.furunousa.com/LearningCenter/Transducer-Beam-Angle-Calculator.aspx

Yep, thanks guys. I can actually turn off the fish ID on this unit if I want to. I really only wanted a depth finder so I could tell the depth. Anyone I've fished with ignores the fish on the screen. Figuring out structure will be something that takes some getting used to for me on this thing, because it's all binary pixels, and so there's not a whole lot of detail. It should do me fine for now though. And this one can apparently be used for ice fishing without a heated shack, so that's a bonus.

Yep, thanks guys. I can actually turn off the fish ID on this unit if I want to. I really only wanted a depth finder so I could tell the depth. Anyone I've fished with ignores the fish on the screen. Figuring out structure will be something that takes some getting used to for me on this thing, because it's all binary pixels, and so there's not a whole lot of detail. It should do me fine for now though. And this one can apparently be used for ice fishing without a heated shack, so that's a bonus.

As long as it reads you the depth in #s you're good to go. Doesn't matter to much about the pixels with that old of a unit. Techology has improoved leaps and bouds since then. When there is a drastic rise or fall in the depth # then you know there is some structure.tongue.gif

awesome Dana, i still have one of those in the garage...it came with my boat. It will mark fish......sometimes....it will definitely mark schools of bait, and is as good as many modern fishfinders for structure.

I love the playback feature,,,stop the screen and playback a few seconds of what just passed, wish i had that on my x67c!

I've had a bunch of old sonars over the years. Most were given to me except for the Hummingbird LCR3004 that I bought brand new many years ago. None of them worked as well as I expected. The LCR3004 did show me fish swimming very close to bottom when I used it through the ice. I could see that the bottom came up when an additional row of pixels appeared on screen. During the summer, it would even detect my anchor every once in a while...lol.

Since then, I have had close to a dozen sonars and none of them worked well. Ok....I didn't pay for them anyway.

I have 2 old Hummingbird 3-D models (Wide) and (Vista). They don't work well. They show me thousands of fish but I know that it's just bottom junk like branches and weeds. I don't even use the 3-D function on either of the machines....it just does not work well.

However, I do have 2 old faithfuls. 2 very old Lowrance flasher units. The smaller one is the LFP250. The other one is a bit more powerful, maybe the LFP350. Yes...they both have bottom alarms that also can be adjusted to become fish alarms (this works great when icefishing). I really like the fact that they immediately tell me what is happening under the boat and don't overwhelm me with stuff from the past that fills the screen of ordinary sonars.