Childhood memories

MJL

Last week I made the decision to do something I probably haven’t done for around 15yrs – Hit up a local stream for some summertime river smallies. Back in elementary school, my uncle would take me to various stretches of the river a few times a week after class. We’d sometimes even wade in the river and catch crayfish to use as bait. I’ve caught some of my biggest bass ever from that river. Would they still be there?

Armed with a 13ft float set-up and a bunch of jumbo dewies, I returned to a few stretches of river I haven’t visited since I was a kid. The scenery has sure changed quite a bit. The grassy meadows that lined the river are now mostly gone...Shopping plazas and new housing developments are the primary landscape now :(. The good news is that the smallies I left behind were still there...The poison ivy and huge mozzies were also still there :( - I was mostly covered up by my waders and wading jacket though

Didn’t manage any real big bass but I did manage to snap some nifty underwater shots with my camera :D

IMG_0641a-2.jpg

IMG_0643z.jpg

IMG_0702a.jpg

I also managed to catch a couple crayfish by tipping over rocks but the fish weren’t interested in them. Thinking back, a rod under 10ft would’ve made life so much easier in the bush. With the carp action still quite slow in most places, I’ll definitely be returning (possibly with a fly rod). I almost forgot how well smallies fight :)

Hope you enjoyed

Mike

Great post mike, its amazing how time marches on. Sad indeed that the meadows are gone, at least you have the memories. Great pics.....you have inspired me...i am gonna take some underweater pics tomorrow...ive had the underwater housing for months...gotta try it out!