Looking for Reel Input

mbosh1980

Really? Most places I've seen it have it listed as a big fish reel, sort of like the larger size curado...

I typically wouldn't be throwing anything heavier than 3 oz if that helps.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Abu-Garcia-Revo-Toro-Winch-Casting-Reel-Left-Hand/1248515.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat105591780%3Bcat105740280%3Bcat105742980

All I know is I saw a guy using that reel on The Musky Hunter.

The revo toro winch gets very good reviews from musky anglers. I have heard and read that the 50 series is ideal for tossing double cowgirls and bucktails.

I have a revo toro 51 and like it, but found it a bit heavy for casting. I have a revo winch that I enjoy using for casting and feel has more than enough muscle to handle casting most musky baits. I would add that if you plan on tossing really big baits like bulldawgs and sledges (2 oz. plus lures) you may want to look in to something bigger. It does sound like you're getting a good deal on the reel, and if you think it would suit your purposes I would buy it.

I'm sure more of the muskie guys will chime in, I have a feeling they'll also suggest the fullsized reels. No reason to limit yourself. The big reels throw everything well.

I have not been fishing musky for that long, but I think that the need to go big for reels is greatly exaggerated. In my experience Musky will stand and fight you were they are, as opposed to making long runs. I also have found that I do not put out very much line when trolling, maybe a maximum of 100 feet. In many ways I think the big reels are part of the past generation of musky fishing, before braid became commonly used, and there has slowly been a move towards smaller reels with big drags, especially for casting.

I have not been fishing musky for that long, but I think that the need to go big for reels is greatly exaggerated. In my experience Musky will stand and fight you were they are, as opposed to making long runs. I also have found that I do not put out very much line when trolling, maybe a maximum of 100 feet. In many ways I think the big reels are part of the past generation of musky fishing, before braid became commonly used, and there has slowly been a move towards smaller reels with big drags, especially for casting.

I think there is a reason why guys that make a living guiding for muskie are using full sized reels compared to the Curados/Revos.. Hopefully a few of them chime in.

I think you need to have a few reels for different applications. If it's your only musky reel, you might want something more well rounded. I have a curado 300ej and it's nice for smaller baits and handles musky well.. although nothing over 45" on it yet... yet!

Would this be a case where the reel suitable for frequent musky use, just not the bigger baits that are often being used now? :dunno:

I am going to be switching my focus to primarily targeting muskie in the fall. I don't throw anything heavier than a top raider really.

I think you need to have a few reels for different applications. If it's your only musky reel, you might want something more well rounded. I have a curado 300ej and it's nice for smaller baits and handles musky well.. although nothing over 45" on it yet... yet!

That is a nice reel but only comes in a right hand retrieve. I think Bosh is looking for a LH reel.

Just to add a bit to this thread the best musky fisherman I've ever been in a boat with uses spinning reels when casting and a tekota for trolling, not your traditional reels, but he uses musky rods with them and does not seem to have any trouble putting fish in the boat.

I throw top raiders with my revo winch and have not problems with it. I think the revo toro winch would be a good reel for you IMHO. What rod are you going to pair it with?

undecided...st.croix triumph in a mh maybe...

the biggest revo toro winch (you are gonna want the 60 or 61) is used by musky fishermen to cast double tens, big cranks and other hard pulling lures. it's low ratio and relatively large spool make retrieving hard pulling baits easier. it's not about the size or weight of the lures but how much water they displace and effort required to retrieve them (particularly at a good pace).

for throwing very easy pulling baits like a top raider, small bucktails or any jerk bait, it would not be my first choice (although it will do it no problemo) that would belong to the curado 301, revo toro HS in the big size or the discontinued quantum cabo cbc31pts (something with a higher ratio and lighter).

Edited by Raf

Tons of guys are using revo Toro's for muskie fishing, but for the most part the 60 size. As mentioned by Raf the main purpose guys are using the winch for is for pulling big blades. Keep in mind you will not be able to burn blades with the slow ratio. I would get something with a faster gear ratio for all around use, like the regular revo toro or a calcutta 400b if you reel with your right hand.

the biggest revo toro winch (you are gonna want the 60 or 61) is used by musky fishermen to cast double tens, big cranks and other hard pulling lures. it's low ratio and relatively large spool make retrieving hard pulling baits easier. it's not about the size or weight of the lures but how much water they displace and effort required to retrieve them (particularly at a good pace).

for throwing very easy pulling baits like a top raider, small bucktails or any jerk bait, it would not be my first choice (although it will do it no problemo) that would belong to the curado 301, revo toro HS in the big size or the discontinued quantum cabo cbc31pts (something with a higher ratio and lighter).

Raf you nailed it dead on, for big blades 10s an 12s that push and displace water, that is the reel hands down, and that was why that reel was made with the low gear ratio, it is more comfortable then the big round reels, for casting, if you have only one choice in a reel I would likely go with the 5.4:1 revo toro in the 60 series, which is in the middle of the winch and the highspeed models

I know a guy who goes after musky alll the time (more then 2 days a week) and he has a Abu Revo Toro 61 and is VERY happy with it. To each there own so to say as I have a Curado 301e and I'm happy with it.

I don't for one minute doubt the quality of the Revo Inshore. The problem is not the quality it's the gear ratio. It's less of a problem if you're trolling 7' to 12' behind the boat. But if you're casting or trolling farther back, maximun gear ratios should be 5:1. 4:7 is great. Anything higher than 5:1 and you'll tire yourself out and put undue strain on the reel. I'm not talking bulldogs here. Those types of baits are heavy but have little resistance so you could probably handle them with a small spinning reel. Baits like stalkers, double 10's etc... and in fact most muskie baits create an immense amount of drag so you need the low gearing. With large baits you'll be disappointed with anything higher than 5:0.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Baits like stalkers, double 10's etc... and in fact most muskie baits create an immense amount of drag so you need the low gearing. With large baits you'll be disappointed with anything higher than 5:0.

For big musky baits that have alot of drag I use a 7000 series Abu. It's got a huge spool plus a power handle and even baits with double 10 or 12 blades come in effortlessly.

Also excellent for taking up slack in a hurry with jerkbaits or burning other baits very fast.

My two cents...Revo toro winch was designed for big baits and big blades. It has a smaller size but the power of a bigger reel. The downside of having gears for power like that (in a smaller reel) is that it is a slower -- doesn't take up line as fast.

There are 2 other musky reels in that series which have the same body but different gears. I have the middle one - revo toro 5.4 or 5.1 or something - and so far it has been a pretty good all-purpose reel.

There's a faster one for burning, but with that you get less power.

I'd get the middle one (and they recently discontinued this line, so should be cheap as well) or if you mostly use double 10s/12s or giant pulling baits where speed isn't an issue, get the winch.

Edited by cram