Static on VHF Radio ??

Fish Farmer

Just bought a GPS-Depth-finder combo. since I hooked it up I've had static on the VHF sometimes you have to turn the squelch all the way sometimes, then you don't get anything. I've tried just about everything, when I think I've got it, the noise comes back. I moved the power wire, tried separate battery, different Ant.

The noise goes away when I turn off the finder.

Anyone run into this problem or have any ideas to solve the static, besides turning the radio off. :whistling:

I don't have any hair left :wallbash:

Edited by Fish Farmer

The only channel that gets static from the F/F is 69, mind you , my F/F is ancient and I'm not about to put it to pasture yet. If you're getting static on all channels, then I'm suspecting you have a questionable quality F/F/GPS and it shouldn't be doing that.

I am afraid you will have to choose between the two, or move the VHF well away from the FF.

Trying to keep the wires hid is the big problem Home Town, The FF and radio will only go under the dash and windshield to keep them dry and out of the way. Thanks anyway

I've heard that can happen if your 2 antenae (SP) are too close together Dave. Anyway you can seperate them a bit and try it again ??

Thanks Lew, I went to a electronics place and they told me to wrap the cables with tin foil, one roll later and still noise :wallbash: I'll try and move everything to the back and see what happens.

Thanks

move radio

move antenna

put Ferrite Core Noise suppressors on all the power lines

I've been looking for Ferrite Core Noise suppressors, got any idea were I can get them Terry. I think I have one place left to try.

Thanks Terry

The only channel that gets static from the F/F is 69, mind you , my F/F is ancient and I'm not about to put it to pasture yet. If you're getting static on all channels, then I'm suspecting you have a questionable quality F/F/GPS and it shouldn't be doing that.

I called the marina and he said the noise was from the GPS Combo and to give Humminbird a call, I did and he said go get a PC11 noise suppressor and try that. The machine I bought is Humminbird 587ci Combo with the Fish"N"Chip It's a new machine. Thanks Fisherman

What we do to catch a stupid fish :D

Thanks guys Got my work cut out :whistling::wallbash::D tomorrow

Probably the best bet would be to talk to the guys at Radio World, maybe in the Amateur radio section, I'm sure they would have ferrite cores , when I was into that sort of thing we used a lot of them for mobile radio installations and engine noise and for suppressing HF radio transmission interference on lots of household stuff like phones and TV's.

Edit: the gps antenna is only receiving so I doubt it would be the culprit, my first guess would be the transducer cable, it is a few hundred watts rms or a thousand or more peak power watts of rf or whatever power going thru it so it would be my first suspect, make sure it is well separated from the radio coax and power leads.

Edited by dave524

Probably the best bet would be to talk to the guys at Radio World, maybe in the Amateur radio section, I'm sure they would have ferrite cores , when I was into that sort of thing we used a lot of them for mobile radio installations and engine noise and for suppressing HF radio transmission interference on lots of household stuff like phones and TV's.

Edit: the gps antenna is only receiving so I doubt it would be the culprit, my first guess would be the transducer cable, it is a few hundred watts rms or a thousand or more peak power watts of rf or whatever power going thru it so it would be my first suspect, make sure it is well separated from the radio coax and power leads.

Noise is still there. I bought some ferrite cores in Burlington place called Sayal. tried them on the cable and power lines and nothing, still noise.:wallbash: On my FF & GPS combo I disconnected my trans cable and the noise is still there, it's got to be the GPS. I hooked up a different VHF radio on a battery away from my boat and antenna, 30'away from my boat as I walked near the boat with the antenna in hand about 8' away the noise came on the radio. I've been searching the net and this seems to be quite a problem with no answers. I'm not giving up, as dave524 give Radio World a call and I'm going to call Humminbird.

Thanks guys for your help

Edited by Fish Farmer

Fish Farmer,

My Lowrance LMS 520C Combo sits right next to my Raytheon VHF radio on my dash and then both antennas are within 6" of each other without any noise problem.

I know how frustrating this can be.....have you tried to isolate the problem to see if it's the GPS or FF by unplugging the transducer cable from the back of the unit or turn off the GPS feature or if need be unplugging it's antenna.

Good Luck,

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

If you unplug the VHF antenna ( BIG CAUTION do not transmit while it is unattached or you'll fry the final output transistors !!!) and it goes away, you know it is coming in on the antenna, if it is still there it is coming in on the power leads. Might help with troubleshooting the culprit. If you got an aluminum boat you could even try grounding the chassis of the units to the hull.

Fish Farmer,

My Lowrance LMS 520C Combo sits right next to my Raytheon VHF radio on my dash and then both antennas are within 6" of each other without any noise problem.

I know how frustrating this can be.....have you tried to isolate the problem to see if it's the GPS or FF by unplugging the transducer cable from the back of the unit or turn off the GPS feature or if need be unplugging it's antenna.

Good Luck,

Bob

I tried that Bill, pulled the trans cable and the noise is still there. My GPS on the unit the antenna is internal

Thanks

Bill

If you unplug the VHF antenna ( BIG CAUTION do not transmit while it is unattached or you'll fry the final output transistors !!!) and it goes away, you know it is coming in on the antenna, if it is still there it is coming in on the power leads. Might help with troubleshooting the culprit. If you got an aluminum boat you could even try grounding the chassis of the units to the hull.

Soon as I pull the antenna the noise goes away, dead quite

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Fish Farmer

Seems Hummingbirds are prone to generate stray RF in the VHF spectrum, they have a fix so it seems. Looks like it comes in on the vhf antenna so cores and other stuff on the power lines ain't going to do squat. :wallbash:

http://www.marinegpsunits.net/humminbird-798ci-si-vhf-radio-interference-noise-1.html

Thats exactly what mine does, same noise.

Another place to try is an electronis store on Parkdale, cannot remember the name but they sell a lot of antenna stuff. I bought mt digital TV antenna from them several years ago. Here they are : http://nutechelectronics.com/ Very knowlegable and good to deal with.

I've been there a few times HT. That's who told me about the tinfoil. I went back and they were stumped. They also said they could order Ferrite cores if needed.

Thats exactly what mine does, same noise.

The guy who posted that does say he sent it back to Hummingbird and they modded it and all is fine now, maybe a trip in the off season is in store. That is just brutal, can't beleive they know about it and for the sake of a couple of bucks in parts probably sell it that way. :wallbash:

The guy who posted that does say he sent it back to Hummingbird and they modded it and all is fine now, maybe a trip in the off season is in store. That is just brutal, can't beleive they know about it and for the sake of a couple of bucks in parts probably sell it that way. :wallbash:

I talk to Humminbird service this morning and they want me to send my unit in. Now I have to ship it to North Bay, thats the closest service depot in Ont. :wallbash: They told me they mite have to put something inside. Man, if I would have known :whistling:

Your right Dave, sure makes you wonder. I hope there going to pay the shipping. :rolleyes:

yeah they will most likely install an rf choke, it allows the frequency through that you want and blocks rf outside that range

Your probably right Terry, just makes you mad you buy a new machine and they have to take it apart and monkey with it, plus I have to ship it out to North Bay :wallbash:

Then I guess I wasn't that far off.

I talk to Humminbird service this morning and they want me to send my unit in. Now I have to ship it to North Bay, thats the closest service depot in Ont. :wallbash: They told me they mite have to put something inside. Man, if I would have known :whistling:

That's not necessarily a bad thing Dave.

I had to ship a Humminbird to North Bay a few years back and it was maybe the best customer service I've ever had. I sent it up with Purolator from Toronto and had it back at my house in 48 hours, repaired and NO CHARGE. They even payed to ship it back even though it was well outta warranty.

They'll fix you up and have you back on the water on no time.

Great folks to deal with.

That's not necessarily a bad thing Dave.

I had to ship a Humminbird to North Bay a few years back and it was maybe the best customer service I've ever had. I sent it up with Purolator from Toronto and had it back at my house in 48 hours, repaired and NO CHARGE. They even payed to ship it back even though it was well outta warranty.

They'll fix you up and have you back on the water on no time.

Great folks to deal with.

Thanks Lew

I just emailed them in North Bay this morning to see what they want me to do. I guess I have to take it to the Purolator depot here in Hamilton. Sounds good. I must say Humminbird have been good with me on the phone trying to solve the Problem.