Longer Rod Trends

EC1

I've been noticing that, each year, they are making more and more 'bass' rods that are in the 7-8foot range.

These rods claim that they can cast further, give you more leverage when fighting a fish, and according to the marketing, these two factors already outweigh each and every single disadvantage that these longer rods have. (Tip Heavy, harder to maneuver, not suitable for certain techniques.)

Anyways, I fell for this marketing, but now that I own these rods 7' and longer, I'm finding that the shorter rods make me a lot happier. I feel that the sweet spot that would for almost all of my rods other than the flipping stick should be 6'6 - 6'10. In general, you will be having a lighter rod, and your rod doesn't limit you to not being able to do certain techniques (ex. Jerkbaits).

How do you guys feel about this?

I am a fan of longer rods just seem to fit my frame and casting and retrieving methods better, I'm a fairly tall guy.

Having said that I have managed to turn a couple of 7' 6" rods into 6' 10" 'ers recently, it's quite easy when you have too many rods in the boat at one time!...... :w00t:

I am 6'1 and am most comfortable with rods in the 6'6"-7' range, leaning towards 7'. The physics agree with the assessment of longer casting ability if you compare rods of equivalent power and action but different lengths. More energy can be imparted into the tip of a longer rod, thereby launching the lure with more energy for more distance. The leverage of a longer rod is a misnomer. It actually gives the rod more leverage. However, bass typically dont pull hard enough for this slight advantage to make a difference. What the longer rod does allow is the movement of more line with the movement of the rod tip. So, on hooksets, you can pull more line for deeper hook penetration, especially if you use mono, or a slow action rod. Also, it allows you to get the fishaway from heavy cover more easily when fishing heavy cover. You move the fish further and turn the head away from cover on hooksets.

edt: In the end, the companies cannot tell you waht is right for you. You may eventually become more comfortable with longer rods, but in the end, it is you on the water. You need to be comfortable and confident with your gear. Much of it is hype to get anglers to buy new gear.

Edited by PainInTheBass

The technology is changing very fast. The ability to make lighter stronger rods means they can make them longer. Not that long ago musky sticks were short and stiff in part because the line available was stretchy mono. Now braid is the thing and rods don't have to be stiff from one end to the other.

I like the longer rods for most apps except when I'm in my canoe. Since I'm always solo I can't hand land a fish with a long rod.

We have more choice then ever before. It's up to us to chose what works for for us for a given species and application.

It is interesting to recall that in the 50's 5ft rods were average, they grew through five-six and by the turn of the century 6.5 was average. Now 7ft is average and longer rods are common. With large swimbaits, there is an excuse, just as with Musky rods...but for an all-around rod??? I don't see it!

We have lost an important advantage...Accuracy! Case in point...A couple of years ago I bought a 6ft Loomis IMX from a guy who had received it as a gift and wanted to"up-size." The first day I used it I was amazed how much more accurate the "short" rod was than my 7ft rods. We get our information from the States. In the USA guys are fishing a lot of reservoirs, often there is very little bank cover because water levels fluctuate drastically. Long rods do have more reach, and on bare banks this is fine, but is that important in the Kawarthas etc. with lots of over hanging brush, accuracy seems to me to be much more important. I have always said that an accurate 50-60 ft cast will out fish a 90 foot one every day.

Another hobby horse of mine is split grips...I don't like them!

The knob catches in my pocket or on my cloths. I'm not alone here...Pro-rod builders, like Gary Dobyns, admits that any weight reduction advantage comes with the disadvantages of making the rod tip-heavy, and with the extra cost of putt-sing around trying to re-balance the darned things. Do you think that mass producers are worrying about balance?

The switch, at I-Cast this year, to EVA grips on top-end rods, the move to plastic side plates on high-end reels like the Stradic and the Chronarch...These are all cost cutting moves that are a step backward in my opinion. The talking heads are telling us we need a 3/8 oz. savings on the reel, then suggesting we use 2 oz. Punch weights on our baits!!! What's wrong with this picture?

Want another one?

Graphite rods...I am using composite rods for most of my casting. Why? Because I am throwing crankbaits!

I don't need super sensitivity, what I need is a strong butt and a soft tip that doesn't pull the hooks out on the hook-set or a jump.

For Walleye guys and on finesse techniques the graphite makes sense, but not for everything.

The bottom line is that we, the angling pubic, are being force feed a diet of manure by the fishing industry. Their pet Pro-Anglers and the Media are promoting the latest, lightest and longest but in actual fact most of the claimed benefits are imaginary, or limited to a couple of situations.

Amen...Stepping down from soap-box now...End of Rant...GRIN.

Garry2R's

Well, I certainly am seeing the longer rod trend. I built a pair of St. Croix 8.5 ft blanks, and extended the butts 13"!! for a local guide. He runs 60# braid & throws the big lures, some 12-16 oz. lures.

I guess I don't have any full length pictures, but:

redsrods5.jpg

the end of the rod blank proper is just to the rear of the reel seat, rear extension of alum. conduit.

redsgrips.jpg

He loves them, And just last week, a client of his ordered a pair just like it,except he wants steelers theme :tease:

I also have built planer board trolling rods for a local fishing the MWC tournaments. He likes the 9 ft. rods to keep the lines out of the way of other rods being used.

pair-jamierods.jpg

And, they're actually cashing the last 3 years :good:

MWC20Sandusky20Day20120PM2017.jpg

GrubbsMWCErie1PM.jpg

Edited by Rodwrap

Not much of a trend. Back in the 1980's Al Linder promoted longer rods (9 ft+) for live bait for walleye. I personally use nothing but 8 1/2 ft steelhead blanks(light, medium light and medium) for all my bass rods. My go to live bait rod is a slow action Diawa blank (tatanium wire wrap) that is 9 1/2 ft long. My jig throwing rods are all light steelhead 81/2 footers.

I've tried the shorter rods and I just don't like them.

I might add that I'm an old time fly and float fisherman and the longer rods just appeal to me a lot more.

Muddler

I have a mix of rods of different lengths froma 6' st croix for skipping docks to 7'6" frog and pitching rods.

If I am making lots of long casts covering water I like a 7' rod, spinner baits, crank baits, swim baits

If I am making short casts I like a shorter 6'6

Docks and tight cover the 6 footer gets the nod

Its not an all one of the other for me.

I do find though by the end of a day of fishing I tend to be using either my 7' cumara/e7 combo or and the 6' st croix/stradic combo exclusively.

I was watching a facts of fishing show the other night, the one where Dave was on Lake St. Claire with Pete Maina, and I remember Pete saying that shorter rods for musky fishing were needed for the hookset and the power they provided, but the advent of braid has allowed anglers to use longer rods, which allow for longer casts, and easier figure 8's at the boatside. I have never used a rod over 7ft but bought an 8 ft rod this year and plan on trying this theory when i get out on the water. As far as bass fishing goes, I always had a preference for shorter rods. I own a 7ft rod but really like my 6'3" bronzeback rod.

While I might not agree with Garry 2r's about everything the fishing industry feeds us a being manure, I prefer to think that as consumers we have way more choice than we had in the past, the problem is we need to have the resources to try out the equipment to find out what our preference is.

The technology is changing very fast. The ability to make lighter stronger rods means they can make them longer. Not that long ago musky sticks were short and stiff in part because the line available was stretchy mono. Now braid is the thing and rods don't have to be stiff from one end to the other.

I think the part about the technology for lighter and stronger materials is still marketing. No matter what, your hand still is the fulcrum, and has x amount of inches more of rod to deal with. My rod's balance point is right at the reel seat too, so it might be just my own opinion.

I have no problem pitching into very small areas with a 7'6 flipping stick, but really started to dislike handling a rod over 7' for anything that requires a casting motion.

I agree with garry that the industry just makes up bull for us to buy stuff.

On a side note:

After switching almost exclusively to braid, I'm trying to move away from braid again(except slop of course)! It's almost like we forgot that as kids we used mono, and it caught just as much fish! My dad still fishes a lot of live bait, and braid is just something doesn't make sense for him.

Who really needs wind knots and line wrapped around guides and breaking rods? Don't forget about the senkos that seem to suspend on a windy day(With none other than....BRAID)!

If anyone tells me they can't feel a fish when on mono, then they are just leaving out too much slack.....and didn't we all agree that rods today are more sensitive than ever!?

Guess that's my rant....for having not caught a bass over 13" in two trips on perfect weather days. Thanks for reading guys.

Edited by EC1

Since I'm 6'1 I prefer longer rods. Shortest is 6'9 for dropshotting. Everything else for casting is 7'- 7'6. I have no problems with accuracy. I broke one of my rods and used my brothers 6'6, felt so awkward haha. all personal preference though.

Braid on my casting reels. Fluro on my crankbait rod. I put braid on my spinning reel, hated it.

Edited by danbob

Comfortable using rods from 6 foot to 7' 6" like a flipping stick, never had any problems to speak of feeling hits on mono. I carried a mix of rods and lengths, basically because I didn`t fall for the sales hype that you had to carry a 150+ dollar rod to catch fish.

I used to use a Penn 109-209 on a solid glass 5 1/2 foot rod with the action of a broomstick back in the day and cast pike and muskie lures all day. Anything these days is lighter? I never judged a rod by price or weight, action and feel was the way to go.

Like Garry mentioned I like a little softer action for crankbaits, but I would doctor them up anyway. Different brand of hooks, a size larger at times.

On a side note:

After switching almost exclusively to braid, I'm trying to move away from braid again(except slop of course)! It's almost like we forgot that as kids we used mono, and it caught just as much fish! My dad still fishes a lot of live bait, and braid is just something doesn't make sense for him.

Who really needs wind knots and line wrapped around guides and breaking rods? Don't forget about the senkos that seem to suspend on a windy day(With none other than....BRAID)!

If anyone tells me they can't feel a fish when on mono, then they are just leaving out too much slack.....and didn't we all agree that rods today are more sensitive than ever!?

Guess that's my rant....for having not caught a bass over 13" in two trips on perfect weather days. Thanks for reading guys.

Some great points made EC1, especially your thoughts on line. Since i returned to fishing last year, i have dived right into the new 'BRAID' craze, and although it is a good strong material, i find it hard to control ie. rod wrap.

Some line manufacturers are putting money into research and developement on new Monofilament technology. I recieved as a promotion, 2 spools of new mono earlier this summer. Suffix Elite, and Suffix Siege.I spooled up my spinning reel with it and used it on my last Bass outing. I was amazed at the sensitity and the complete lack of spool memory. So much so, that i may respool my Baitcaster with Siege Mono, and fish the rest of the year with it.

re: mono

For me, it isn't the lack of sensitivity (although I do feel that braid is more sensitive), it is the stretch that I dislike in mono.

re: industry manure

I think there is a lot of hype and hyperbole out there; lots of gimmicks with varying actual impacts. However, I think it is our job as consumers to try and weed through the sales talk and find out what is real and what isn't; what may work for s, and what may not. It's like any other industry really.

I think there is a lot of hype and hyperbole out there; lots of gimmicks with varying actual impacts. However, I think it is our job as consumers to try and weed through the sales talk and find out what is real and what isn't; what may work for s, and what may not. It's like any other industry really.

I totally agree with the above statement. The problem is that most anglers do not have the time or the money to try out all the new gear...That is why forums like this one are such a valuable resource. Instead of hearing how good all the new equipment is from the company that makes it we need to get an impartial opinion about the gear.

On that note I have gone on a purchasing binge during the last few months and need to post a review...maybe I'll start a topic now.