first ever muskie outing

peter23

hey guys i just got back from my 9 day trip to upper buckhorn lake. we go to a firends cottage every year to fish bass and walleye but this year i wanted to try something different, i wanted to fish muskie. i got my brand new shimano calcutta 400 TE, st croix premier muskie rod, a large cradle, lindy gloves, bolt cutters, and long needlenose pliers. i was ready for my first ever muskie outing and didnt know what to expext. his boat was in the shop and all i had was a 14 foot aluminum and an 8 hp motor, no fishfinder or anything. i did some research and realized they would be on deep weedlines searching for quick moving lures and so i used 1 lure the whole week. an all white joe bucher shallow raider twitched very fast. i ended up landing 4 muskie, lost 3 and had 4 follows. they are not quite big but not too bad for my first ever time muskie fishing. and not too bad in a 14 foot boat with no fishfinder. here are some pics. :)

007.jpg

004.jpg

IMG00430-20110708-2028.jpg

009.jpg

Congrats. Considering the equipment that you were working with you did great. I should caution you that that one lure can quickly turn into a huge musky box full of them...followed by a box for spinerbaits and a box for bucktails...and a few extra boxes for those lures that don't fit in your other boxes. Followed by many different rod and reel combos...just prepare yourself to spend a large amount of your disposable income.

fishgreg i tried everything within that week black bucktails, all different jerkbaits, sledges and the only thing that has produced was that all white bucher shallowraider with a little bit of orange on the belly. and ya my parents are already mad because of the money ive been soending on lures and especially my rod and reed combo i bought lol. well i should tell them there is many more lures and combos where that came from :)

Nice work man. Sounds like you're a lifer now! It's not so bad...there are just very few people who understand!

Nice to see that you invested in proper gear too! Espesially landing/release gear.

Good luck with the rest of the season.