45 Gal drum source NF

verno

I am thinking about making myself a smoker out of barrels but I'm having a heck of a time finding drums. Anyone know of places in the GTA where I can get 45 Gal drums that have been used for food and not chemicals? All the ones I have found have had chemicals in them. I need to find 3 but could get away with 2.

Here's a pic of something similar.

bigbaby1.jpg

Universal Drum on Royal Windsor Drive in Mississauga. They also have a place in Toronto around the stockyards area... don't remember the street. They recondition/decontaminate used drums for resale. I think most food grade drums these days are plastic.

-Brian

I also think ones used for food are plastic. I have seen people here use home heating oil tanks for a large grill, don`t know if they are smokers also. I also saw a guy selling used stainless steel drums, no clue what was in them, or where you could get them.

There are drum dealers in a lot of bigger cities, and industrial supply house might also carry them or know who would.

Where else but OFC can you get this much info on 45 Gal drums at this time of the morning. Thanks very much for the info fellas. And Bigchev thanks for calling your buddy.

SO True! haha

Good luck in your search!

Tony

Verno, if you could post your final decision or PM me I'd appreciate it, I need a clean drum (1/2 drum to be exact) for roasting a lamb or a pig this summer, scarberia or newmarket both work for me. Nothing fancy like your pic, just a half barrel on the ground with a handmade spit to rotate the meat.

Edited by Kirk

I was given one last year from a friend of a friend and the label on it said grape juice concentrate from Chile, so I would bet wineries around the GTA may be a place to tap. Just a thought.

The one I got is missing one end but for what I use it for it's ideal, but a top wpould be nice when storing it

LOL douG, we used to do the pig roast with a couple of neighbors here every year. We had someone come over with a cooker made out of a fuel oil tank and cook the pig, it was stuffed with turkeys. Everyone that came brought a covered dish and a tent if they wanted to bon-fire and camp out.