Stinky Cooler

Fishnwire

I left a cooler at camp with some stuff in it on ice because I was planning on being back within a couple of days...plans changed and I didn't get up there for over a week. The cooler had some veggies and some cheese in there and now it stinks a little. It's not over-powering or anything...but there's a definite odor there if you stick your head right in and sniff.

It's a big five-day unit and wasn't cheap...I'd like to try to clean it out before I buy a replacement. I tried dish soap and warm water...it helped but it's not perfect. Anyone have any ideas? (Besides not leaving food in there for over a week.)

Thanks.

I left a cooler at camp with some stuff in it on ice because I was planning on being back within a couple of days...plans changed and I didn't get up there for over a week. The cooler had some veggies and some cheese in there and now it stinks a little. It's not over-powering or anything...but there's a definite odor there if you stick your head right in and sniff.

It's a big five-day unit and wasn't cheap...I'd like to try to clean it out before I buy a replacement. I tried dish soap and warm water...it helped but it's not perfect. Anyone have any ideas? (Besides not leaving food in there for over a week.)

Thanks.

Put a bowl inside with a couple inches white vinigar, close and let sit 24hours.

Gets rid of skunk so it should take care of your problem

Find yourself a good "bio-enzymatic" odour digester. Most effective against organic odours. Simply spray the surface down and leave it wet. The next day wash with soap and water.

We have lots of different versions at Swish, but I don't know where you could get any in Sudbury.

Put in a 1/4 cup of bleach and fill it up with water and let it sit for a couple of hours and then empty it out and give it a quick rinse. That way you are killing any bacteria that are in there that are causing the odour. If it still smells, then try one of the other methods, I like the borax method, it will freshen it up BUT kill what is in there first.

if you know someone who works in healthcare ask them to get you a few wipes of virox(it is used to clean patient rooms in hospitals) it will kill anything in the cooler(bacteria)Then clean with bleach or even lemon juice will work for the odour.

fresh ground coffee.Put the grains in a bowl close the lid, let sit for a day.

Thanks for the suggestion Mercman...but I detest the taste/smell of coffee. I'd probably rather smell the old cheese odor that's in there now. ;)

I poured some bleach in there, put the cover on and shuck it up...I'll let it sit overnight and scrub it out in the morning before I leave for camp.

I know this'll sound obviuos

Hunting Scent Eliminator like Silver XP

My buddy had a trailer fridge with stuff growin in it all summer---probably a cure for cancer in it so much fungus---sprayed the elim --all was good

Either that or one of those l'il pine tree auto freshners :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion Mercman...but I detest the taste/smell of coffee. I'd probably rather smell the old cheese odor that's in there now. wink.gif

I poured some bleach in there, put the cover on and shuck it up...I'll let it sit overnight and scrub it out in the morning before I leave for camp.

blink.gif Sumfin a bit icky about a man who don't like coffeesarcasm.gif

Thats ok, my wife says ground coffee smells like skunkmellow.gif