Wild Turkeys

kickingfrog

Article link has a video:

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3183198

Turkeys gone wild in south end

Aggressive birds becoming a problem for residents

By BOB BRUTON – Barrie Examiner

Posted 12:30am, June 23, 2011

Gobblers are getting on the nerves of south-Barrie residents.

Wild turkeys are behaving aggressively in the Cox Mill Road and Little Avenue areas, venturing onto city streets and going after vehicles.

City councillor John Brassard was going home one morning last week on Cox Mill Road, near the GO Transit bridge, when he saw the big birds on the road.

"They attacked my car," he said. "I stopped (and) honked my horn, but they started pecking at the grill (of his vehicle). Then they came along side."

Brassard was able to drive away without further damage to his car and didn't hit any turkeys. "It's getting to the point of being ridiculous," he said. "Something has got to be done or somebody is going to be hurt. People are getting out of their cars and the turkeys are chasing them back."

Coun. Alex Nuttall raised this matter at Monday's general committee of council meeting, but was told by city staff that wild turkeys are a protected species and little could be done.

Staff are looking into the matter anyway.

Nuttall said that beside Brassard, his mother and a friend have also had their vehicles attacked by wild turkeys.

"It's a very bizarre situation, because it's happening consistently," Nuttall said. "I personally know three people's cars that have been attacked."

He estimates there are 40 or 50 wild turkeys in the Mill Creek area.

"They are really quite aggressive," said Mayor Jeff Lehman. "Really, really aggressive."

Brassard saw more wild turkeys Wednesday morning and videotaped an encounter with a woman who tried to chase them off the road.

He sees it as a problem for vehicles as well as people.

"You can't get past them unless you run over the turkeys, which nobody wants to do," Brassard said. "It was cute in the beginning. It's not funny anymore."

He said wild turkeys are very territorial and it would be difficult to relocate them.

The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resource's Midhurst office could not be reached for comment by the Examiner about wild turkeys on Wednesday.

But the ministry website says wild turkeys very rarely act aggressively toward people or pets. They may come into semi-rural areas in search of food and shelter, and can damage gardens, foul decks and lawns.

Turkeys are active during the day, according to the MNR, roosting at night to avoid predators. In residential areas, it's common for turkeys to roost on railings, roofs, or sometimes vehicles.

While wild turkey thrived in southern Ontario forests before European settlement, the species disappeared from this province a century ago due to unregulated hunting and the loss of native forests.

In 1984, efforts to restore turkeys to Ontario began. Today, some 70,000 wild turkeys live in areas across southern Ontario.

Its natural predators in Ontario include coyotes, raccoons, opossums, skunks and foxes. Harsh winters can also reduce turkey populations.

Adult male wild turkeys weigh as much as 24 pounds (11 kilograms) and are 39-49 inches tall (100 to 125 centimetres). The females are usually much smaller.

Ontario has controlled wild turkey hunts in both spring and fall, but not in urban areas.

[email protected]

Had one attack our car about 25 years ago, down near Lake St. Clair. The tom was herding his harem across a road and even when they had all crossed he wasn't going to let us move until he wanted us to. Every time we inched forward he would run in front and start banging on the grill. We finally had to just gun it, and he chased us a couple of hundred feet down the road.

But there's actually a very good explanation as to why they act that way - they're stupid. Mind boggingly stupid. There are many things with more brains than a turkey. Which reminds me, I have to water the house plants today.

Yeah the sister inlaw lives on Coxmill. I see them walking down the street all the time. If it wasnt for the new paint job,the drivers door could swing out,,,,by accident of course. :whistling: By the Achannel, theres a large group aswell. The local res feed them all the time. :wallbash:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

if any of you have a frightening encounter with a turkey please call me immediately and i'll make sure the turkey has a frightening encounter with my slow cooker.

thanks,

the management

Yah they can all read the reg book better than people Brian. Had two full grown deers trying to coral a run away fawn (about 18" high) and it's two older siblings yesterday when I was cutting the runway. I thought it was a little dog chasing a doe from 1000 feet away to find it was a new born fawn doing laps and mom trying to nose her in the right direction from the big scary tractor. I could have shifted gears and had veal....

Edited by irishfield