Best rod series in the $100 +/- price point ?

Lunker777

I picked up 2 quantum energypt rods at lebarons for just over $50 and in my opinion are much better rods than the compres. They are last years models and only have a few left instock last time I was there.

Cheers jeff

I think it depends on what you want to use the rods for. Crucials are great in certain applications, and not so much in others (in my opinion). If you live close to either Fishing World, Pro J's, or Paddle Tails i would strongly recommend checking out a Dobyn's Rod. They are new to Canada, have the Savvy Line of rods close to your price range, and have a rod demo program. (i.e. take the rod home, and try it. i think they are also doing a draw for a Ranger Z521 with a 250 Evinrude for everyone that demo's a rod in 2011).

I think the Compre or a Quantum PT Tour ($120ish) would be a good choice. Other than that the St. Croix Avid at $160 but you're getting up there. I agree I'm not a big fan of the lower non-USA made St Croix's there is definitely a feel (and looks) difference.

I still like the Compres. I have 4 as it is and as soon as they're phased out later this year, I'll probably pick up another 4 just to have because. Nowadays my goto rods are all Spiel rods.

Big Bear custom rods are amazing! They're handles are cutting edge!

I own a couple of them, and absolutely love them.

Check out Big Bear's website (www.bigbearfishingrods.com) or TackleStock.com for more info.

Big Bear custom rods are amazing! They're handles are cutting edge!

I own a couple of them, and absolutely love them.

Check out Big Bear's website (www.bigbearfishingrods.com) or TackleStock.com for more info.

Last year I was rod shopping and got talked into spending an extra $20 from the rod I was looking at to a Compre...just for the warranty. Well, my son "shortened" it by 6" this spring hacking around through the trees at 40 creek. Got it replaced no questions asked...and no, he can't use it now! good.gif

Dave

There are always a ton of good rods in the classified section. If you've got 100 bucks to spend on a rod, once you take taxes into account; you are getting a 90 dollar rod at best. Or you could buy a sweet used stick worth 200.

How much is a compre anyway, once you add in taxes? Maybe 130, 140? Hardly qualifies as being in a 100 dollar class bracket.

Unlike everyone else, I know very little about the make up of the rods. All I know is I took my Citica into BPS and tried it with St . Croix Mojo Bass, Crucial, Daiwa, a couple other St Croix, an E21, and I finally ended up with a 7'6" BPS Cranking Stick. It just felt the best in my hand, had the tip action I liked and the cork handle I liked. Some power hump thing they call it but it just felt good. Supposedly IM6 graphite which I know is not the best but hell , I fish only for enjoyment not professional and again, the rod and reel felt good together.

Bill

Unlike everyone else, I know very little about the make up of the rods. All I know is I took my Citica into BPS and tried it with St . Croix Mojo Bass, Crucial, Daiwa, a couple other St Croix, an E21, and I finally ended up with a 7'6" BPS Cranking Stick. It just felt the best in my hand, had the tip action I liked and the cork handle I liked. Some power hump thing they call it but it just felt good. Supposedly IM6 graphite which I know is not the best but hell , I fish only for enjoyment not professional and again, the rod and reel felt good together.

Bill

This answer right here is why I asked what I did above. I too have that BPS rod and like it a lot.

How much is a compre anyway, once you add in taxes? Maybe 130, 140? Hardly qualifies as being in a 100 dollar class bracket.

I picked up two Compre this year, One was $100 incl taxes at the London Boat Show and the other was $110 incl taxes at a sale in Hamilton. Plus they have the rebate.

Like them so far, but only fished them a couple times.

I'm hoping to get out tonight to give it a try, though eventually I may need a nice shiny new reel to go with it...

Looks like a mighty fine rod, it was the highlight of my weekend...

I may have to settle for a Symmetre, I priced out a new Stradic 1500 at $185, the Symmetre is only $115. $70 buys a lot of baits.

I have both in the 2500 series now (albeit older models) and actually prefer the Symmetre.

I just checked the Le Baron web-site (someone please recommend a new webmaster to them, please) and you're right. They used to make a 1500 series.

The 1000 series might be just right as well.