If you were to carry ANY 2-RODS/REELS...

rbaquial

Hey Folks,

I'm thinking of picking up 2 more rods & reels to my arsenal.

Quick question...

If you could pick and 2 RODS & REELS to bring with you EVERYWHERE FISHIN'...

What would you choose? Why?

**Specifically, The Power/Action for Rods and Reel Sizes**

I'd like for some input... I have a selection of my own, but

I wanna hear what others would choose.

Thanks!

Rob

Edited by A2F

It's hard to answer without a price range. So, if it were me and my lack of huge budget, it would be a shimano symetre 2500/3000 on a st.croix premier 7' medium fast; and an abu garcia 6500 on a st.croix premier 7' 6" medium heavy fast musky rod. The medium rod is good for almost anything and the musky rod for pike and musky fishing.

I would bring a G.Loomis MagBass 784 IMX with a Shimano Chronarch as my casting outfit. The 784 is a med.heavy 6'6" rod and will handle baits from 1/4 to 1 ounce. This range will cover anything in the Kawarthas. An alternate choice would be a MB823, which is the 7 ft. medium weight version of the same rod. The longer, softer rod isn't quite as versatile, but I use mine a lot. If money were an object, I would drop down a grade or two on the Loomis rod or switch to a Shimano Crucial in the same weight range. To save another few dollars I could also go with a Curado.

My second rod will be a St.Croix Avid AS69MLXF spinning rod with a Shimano Stradic 1000. The rod is 6'9" and will handle baits from 1/8 to a 1/2 ounce. As you can see, anything that is too light for the casting rod will work on the spinning outfit. This has been my Senko and Fluke rod for about 8 years and has landed Bass of over five pounds.

My 2 go to rods are a crucial crankbait rod (TC4) 7'2" MH paired with a curado reel, and a 7'2" medium/extra fast crucial dropshot rod with a 2500 symetre on it.

The crankbait rod in my opinion is good for throwing cranks obviously, but it can also handle spinner baits and other similar baits.

The Crucial drop shot can not only be used for that, but you can throw senkos, shaky heads, etc. when the bite gets slow.

I would walk into my basement and grab my two favourite setups.

7'5" medium heavy NRX baitcaster with the 201e Curado. From cranks to flippin to lighter jigs to beavers, it'll do it all - and better than the rest. It'll also allow me to do pier chucking, 3 waying, inline board trolling, and catfish fishing (which I have done all with this rod, all with excellent results). This is the best rod ever made.

second rod would be

6'8" medium heavy NRX spinning rod with a 2500 Ci4. This setup will allow me to throw anything that the above isn't best for. Top waters, senko's, etc.

I have far too many setups, and likely could get away with just the above two.

The 7'5" nrx can be used for just about everything....i've even run small dipsy's from it. There is not a more versitile rod out there.

Rods of 7 ft and over are great for extra casting distance, but their not much good for jerk baits or any other tip-down technique. Unless you are seven feet tall, it's hard to keep the rod tip from hitting the water.

In my opinion, if you are limited to two combo's 6'6" is a better all around length for the rod that will handle crankbaits.

Rods of 7 ft and over are great for extra casting distance, but their not much good for jerk baits or any other tip-down technique. Unless you are seven feet tall, it's hard to keep the rod tip from hitting the water.

Unless you are a midget, your 7ft rod should not be touching the water from the bow of any boat, lol.

Just to be different, I really do 90% of my fishing with only 2 outfits from mid April to Thanksgiving.

First would be my rigger rod, a 10wt fibreglass fly blank built into a rigger stick with twist guides and a Ambassadeur 6500 loaded with 14 or 17 lb. test Trilene XT. Second would be my dipsey outfit, Shimano Tekota loaded with 50 braid ( later season wire )and a Shimano TDR diver rod. I really do use these 90% of the time as opposed to alternating for a total of 90% as they are both deployed at the same time :clapping:

I would bring the following:

6'6" Browning Midas Med F baitcasting rod with a Daiwa outta luck baitcaster for smaller, lighter baits

7'0" custom MH F baitcasting rod with a Daiwa Zillion for larger, heavier baits

I have a preference for baitcasters, to the point where I feel and often look goofy using a spinning reel for anything other than panfish.

I dont think I could roll with just 2 rods nowwhistling.gif

But....If I had to it would be...

1 - St Croix legend tournament BASS 7' MH fast action (LTBC70MHF Sweeper spinnerbait) paired with a shimano chronarch with 30lbs powerpro

2 - St Croix legend tournament BASS 6'8" M X-fast action (LTBS68MXF Finesse) Paired with a shimano 2500 ci4 with 15lbs powerpro

Those 2 rods will be able to handle anything you want to throw, it just so happens that those are my go to rods that are always in my boat. they are absolutly the best rods I have ever used. As far as the reels, you could switch up with anything but those rods are like money in the bank!

If it wasn't for downrigging.. muskie fishing.. ice fishing... I could live with my 6'6 Berkley lightning rod and cardinal reel and my 6' "LeBaron Special" bait caster with ABU Mag III reel for everything else. Anyone of vintage around here knows that the "LeBaron Special" is a Berkley lightning rod in gloss black.. circa 1983.. and they sold at HALF the price of the lightning rod that back then sold at $149 (when Spar Aerospace was hiring at $5 an hour to work on the Canada Arm!!) Bought both rods in that time frame and still use them both as my main rods to date.

Edited by irishfield

6' Frontier Med action fast tip with my Stradic 2500 spooled with 15lb PP for jigging and my 7' St Croix Avid MH baitcaster with my Quantum Tour Edition Baitcaster spooled with 50lb PP. Covers all I fish for except Muskie.