Whats your favourite kind of braid?

BFSC Kevin

"Baitcasters"I often curse PP line when it gets in a mess but its dependable and i never had a fish break off, 2 years using PP line and i don't think i will switch.

"Spinning reels"I use Stren Magnathin 16 pound test 0.13 diameter.

Edited by PatrickG

I tried Stren Super Braid briefly a few years ago and had the same experience as duber - It's softer and more supple, but it tangles like thread as a result. I had unexpected break-offs as well.

I'd like to try IronSilk again. It was a nice compromise between mono and the superlines, except the stuff of a few years ago didn't like UV rays.

80# PP for my musky rods. I had used Spider Wire 12-14 for my bass rods, but ran into problems with it easily breaking ... must easier than it should have. My thought was it was just a bad batch as I purchased a couple at the same time/place and both were bad. I switched over to Stren Superbraid last year and really like it so far. My father and step-mother use Fireline the bulk of the time.

that is just like kevin vandam who won the bassmaster classic in pittsburgh a couple years ago sponsored by strike king big time, but ironically he was not getting bit on strike king baits and pulled out a old smithwick twitchbait **competitor bait** and won the classic, but when in interview it was all strike king

it was documented by a camera crew who asked him what he was tying on in the last few hours of the final day

troy

I went to one of KVD's seminars at a fishing show this past January & he was mentioning the new Strike King "King Shad" ($20 lure) but he also mentioned the Swithwick baits several times & also said he doesn't stick with the same brand because even though they might look the same they all have a little different action.

I find PP easier to work with.

Fireline I like for heavy weeds were i need to cut thru them. The problem with Fireline is that it needs to be worked in and made more subtle. It is very stiff and wiry when you first put it on.

I started using Fireline Chrystal but havent had it long enough to comment. Maybe after pike openor i will have a little better idea.

On my musky rods I have Berkely Whiplash which I find very comparable to PP.

Fireline...I like to use the 6lb.test on my spinning reels, it cast wonderful and I absolutely love it. On my baitcasters I put 20 lb. crystal fireline on my rod I use for pike....on my other baitcaster 10 lb. crystal....it is fantastic!!!! cast a country mile, sensitive, and rock hard hook sets.

A couple years ago was fishing with a uncle who swore he would never use braid either. I suggested he try my outfit to see what he thought. Now hes using braid. I find its great for the light bite days where sensitivity really counts.

I LOVE the PP and would go with it hands down on my baitcaster but I'm still getting used to it and boy when you birds nest your reel it's tough line to deal with, and expesive to cut off - so cheaper trilene smoothcast until I get the hang of my baitcaster.

PP all the way on my medium/heavy spinning rig - use it as a main line for carp, tossing giant lures for fall salmon, or for throwing baits into heavy heavy weed cover...

I'm curious to know if PP or other highly visible braids cause problems when fishing gin clear water...... I've got 8lb stren on my ultra light and have to say that it treats me well!

Cheers,

UF

I don't own a baitcaster.... i spool all my rods with 8lb fireline... no reason to do anything else..

I love fireline... ive tried pp.. and pline, but didnt like them.. just my preference.

that is just like kevin vandam who won the bassmaster classic in pittsburgh a couple years ago sponsored by strike king big time, but ironically he was not getting bit on strike king baits and pulled out a old smithwick twitchbait **competitor bait** and won the classic, but when in interview it was all strike king

it was documented by a camera crew who asked him what he was tying on in the last few hours of the final day

troy

Skeeter99,

I think you are thinking of George Cochran. He was caught blatantly lying about using a Strike King product when he was using a Lucky Craft Pointer. He won an FLW event on Lake Guntersville in March of 2004 I believe. He later apologized and said it was bad judgment to do so. He then got caught lying again when he caught fish on a Berkley Power Tube but said it was on a Strike King tube.

KVD was sponsored by pradco (Bomber, Smithwick, etc.) for a long time. I've seen him talk about Rogues and Bombers too. My first really good jerk bait was a Bomber Long A Signature Series Van Dam model. He's not one to jeopardize his reputation to lie about what he is using.

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?ID=1432

That's the archived article where he talks about how his own designed bait wasn't the right one for the fish and why he used the Smithwick.

Charles

I've tried TUF, PP, Stren Superbraid, Gorilla Braid and the original Spiderwire. I have to say I like the Stren Superbraid the best. The price at the recent Bass Pro Spring Classic was sick, $15 for a 300 yard spool. PP is $22-24 / 150 yards. And the Stren stuff is better manageable. There was a batch a few years ago where Power Pro produced some junk, or perhaps it was a knock off. But because of that, I go with Stren. But if PP were the cheapest, I would go with that. I think most 65 lb braids are pretty similar and will last a long time.

Charles