Storm claims life in Kawarthas

johnnyb

Pretty sad story....unclear whether he was trying to land, or take off...sure doesn't make sense that he would have been taking off.

Click here for Article

Pilot killed in crash identified |UPDATE

Hugh McCullough, 67, of Ennismore was killed Wednesday (June 8) when the float plane he was flying crashed into the West Bay of Balsam Lake during bad weather at about 2:40 p.m.

a4b8fc044c3cb5118f68ccc2500e.jpegPlane crashes in Balsam Lake. A pontoon boat heads to an overturned float plane after it crashed in West Bay in Balsam Lake on Wednesday (June 8). A witness said the plane was hit by a gust of wind during a severe storm. People rushed to free the pilot, who was the only person on board, but were unable to save him. Barbara-Ann MacEachern (KAWARTHA LAKES) The pilot who was killed in a plane crash on Balsam Lake Wednesday (June 8) has been identified as 67-year-old Hugh McCullough of Ennismore.

John Adams watched in horror as a vicious gust of wind caught a float plane and slammed it into Balsam Lake on Wednesday afternoon (June 8) at about 2:40 p.m.

A pilot himself who lives on West Bay where the crash happened, Mr. Adams said he saw the plane on the water as a severe storm hit the north area of the city, particularly in Coboconk and Bexley Township.

The pilot was killed in the accident.

The plane flipped over and was stuck on the bottom of the lake with only its two pontoons showing above the surface of the water about 500 meters from shore, when This Week arrived on scene about an hour after the accident happened.

“It looked like he was trying to take off, but I’m a pilot myself and I can’t see anyone trying to take off in that weather,” he said. “But, the plane hit really hard; you could hear it.

“It was a huge gust of wind that caught it.”

Mr. Adams said he ran to his boat but it wouldn’t start and he raced back to his house to get booster cables. The plane had hit the water sideways and quickly flipped over.

“All you could see was the pontoons,” he said.

Mr. Adams said a boat carrying four men that he believed came from the nearby float plane base rushed to the scene, along with him and another neighbour on a Sea-doo.

“There was only the pilot on board but he was probably submerged for 15 to 20 minutes before anyone could get to him,” he said. “The storm was getting worse; it was really violent and the water was full of gas.”

In spite of that, the four men “dived into the water and tried to get the pilot out.”

Mr. Adams said the pilot was strapped into his harness and the men were only able to get him halfway out of the plane. As the storm worsened, he said, the men were forced to abandon the rescue.

“I’d already called 911,” he said.

Mr. Adams praised the men for their efforts. “That water full of gas, the storm, and they kept driving trying to get him out,” he said.

OPP Staff Sergeant J. Entwistle told This Week that police were called by cottagers on the lake and responded alongside EMS and Kirkfield firefighters. Staff Sgt. Entwistle confirmed one man was in the plane at the time.

The Transportation Saftey Board of Canada are continuing to investigate the crash.

A friend of mine!

Plane "stuck on bottom".. absolutely not. It's just floating on the air in the floats.

If anyone ever comes across something like this... jump in the water perpendicular to the float center. You'll be on top (of the bottom) of the wing. Grab the step/struts that attach the airplane to the floats and pull yourself to the door. See if you can open the door and get the guys belt off and pull him out. If you need a breath just pull yourself up between the plane and the floats. You've even got steps there.. albeit upside down now.

With the gusts that came thru here yesterday very easy to have a wing picked up and be cartwheeled upside down while taxing on the water, let alone at take off or landing speed.

Edited by irishfield

Very easy to get caught in something like this. Here, Leah and I were standing in the middle of the runway raking up large clumps of grass. Just a nice gentle North breeze. Then instantly a gust out of the South blowing our hats off. I said.. "time to go or we'll get soaked". Leah said "I'm already soaked in sweat.. nor need to rush" I told her the ice was gonna hurt though.. and convinced her to run for the hangar. We made it half way when we started losing trees in the yard and the hail started. Went from nothing to a steady 100K wind for about 5 minutes. Crap like that easily picks up a small airplane and there's not much you can do but go for the ride.

Hugh.. if it's the same one I know.. built the same airplanes as I do. We've shared much information over the years and critqued each others work from time to time when it shows up in each others shops. I still haven't been able to confirm this is THE Hugh McCullough I know, but chances are.... :wallbash: