North Bay Black Flies???

reelinrolly

Drop by the house here in Penetang and load your car with ours.... and drop them up there in case they have none yet!

Haven't seen them this bad in a LONG time !

You can keep them.

They are starting here, give it a few days and you'll want to bathe in bug dope.

Guest gbfisher

being that it's cold and wet... NASTY!!!....

You need warmth and sun to kill the little buggers. Maybe next month...lol

Edited by gbfisher

Well I'm just back in from feeding the Mosquitos, son picks some wonderful times to decide to change his snows to summers !! Thought I'd save him with the torch vs 6 snapped off studs he couldn't budge. Those vampires just loved the torch fire up...

I recently opened up the cottage in Parry Sound area and I agree this is one of the worst blackfly years I can remember. I was outside putting the dock in for ~2 hours with a bug net and was still amazed at how many blackfly bites I had. Looks like the mosquitoes are in strong, but really who is surprised? I've come to expect this as a necessary part of having a secluded cottage over the years, but for an inexperienced outdoorsman it can be overwhelming. Bug spray, bug nets, long sleeves and gloves.

Out on the water the bugs are usually fine.

Edited by ctranter

The flies are bad in Parry Sound. I know that for a fact. This is the time when I actually reverse my days up there. My days become my nights, and my nights become my days. I have 3000 pounds to unload from a trailer, outboard to put back together, casting deck to reinstall, all of the this work will be stealth at night. Depends on how bad they are of course, but if it's unbearable, it's a good idea if you can schedule it. It's just a lot more comfortable if you can adjust for time. Not for everyone, I know ... but for a "weekend warrior" ... well.

Well then Wayne, you are obviously not using the Magical Electronic Tennis Racket Bug Zapper Swatter Thingy properly. You have to give it a little more twist of the wrist ... rather then a common swat. And it's all a matter of timing relative to the ZAP button and skitter contact. It just takes practice, but uber fun. Just don't get it tangled in your hair as you hit the button .. it may end up as an unexpected haircut :) ... and people are going to know for sure that you cut your own hair hehe

An old timer once told me that when the black flies are thick, it's the perfect time to go flat lining for Lakers. From my past experience, he was right.

That'll be me in a couple days!!! Hopefully the Jeep makes it through the swarms up to Temagami :D :D

Ahhhhhhhhh, spring in Ontario's northern wilderness......... I can't wait to see how bad the skeeters are in Honey Harbour and the black flies in Bracebridge this weekend. Thankfully, I still have some old school Muskol (98% DEET), I'll be taking a bath in it.