Chosing a casting reel.

Live2fish85

Hi everyone. I have a question. I am looking at getting a casting reel in around $100. I have been looking at the Shimano Caenan 100 series and the Okuma Citrix or the Pflueger Trion. Does anyone have a choice towards any of these or maybe what is a better reel in your opinions or something I have missed maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

I have 2 Shimano Citicas,an E and a D, and they are bullit proof.Not sure how they line up against the Caenan, but i absolutely love them.They are in the price range you are looking at though.

Paul

I use curado's which I love, but I recently picked up a caenan for a friend of mine and I've been playing around with it until I can deliver it to him and I almost don't want to give it to him.

I don't think you can go wrong with a caenan or anything more than that.

Check Ebay too if you are into that, got my curado's for $140 each, I think they sell for around $200 at bass pro.

I agree with the sentiment of going with the Citica over the Caenan if the budget allows. The Caenan has a graphite frame, and if it will be doing main duty for you, then perhaps the rigidity of aluminum should be considered. At the $100 price point, I would go with a BPS prop qualifier. They are very smooth, easy casting, solid little reels. They are available in a number of different ratios in both left and right handed retrieves. The dual breaking system is more flexible and forgiving than any one braking system. Just my recommendation. Or consider ordering the Okuma Cayenne online from Monster Tackle as they have an incredible sale on these reels at the moment. These reels come packed with ABEC 5 bearings standard, which leads to improved casting performance.

Gotta buy what feels good to you and is in your price range. I agree you will get many conflicting comments here and Im sure if you go with anything that was mentioned, you wont be disappointed.

I personally own a bunch of baitcasters, Shimano, Abu Garcia, Quantam and others. To be honest, I have not had a bad one really but you get what you pay for. More expensive reels seems to have better gears, balance and are generally smoother resulting in fewer backlashes. That being said, I personally think the entry level product is much better than it was 10-20 years ago so you are getting more for your money.

The best tip I can give is be sure to maintain whatever you buy. Last year I invested in some proper reel oil and grease and gradually worked through all my rigs and cleaned and lubed them. Wow what a difference!!! Some of my old equipment seems to work better than new. Even stuff that has not been used will have had oil and grease dry up over time. It pays to do regular maintenance, once a season is enough Im sure either before or after the season. Some of these are nice projects for winter evenings when you are sitting by a fire dreaming about open water...

Just be dilligent when taking things apart or you may have a nightmare putting them back together. I love my Abu6500 as its smooth, strong and reliable but man it was a bear to get back together, lots of misc moving parts...

Pflueger President, a little more, but what a reel. Might find one on sale somewhere if you look.

Another vote for the this one! I picked up a large version (6740X) last year for about $80. Great reel.

I also have a bunch of micro Trions that I use for panfish and ice fishing. I love them too. I kids are now using them. Even with the "beginner abuse" they stand up well and work great. I think I paid $40 at PBS for them. Plus they come with a spare spool (not all reels do!).

Look into the Abu revo S too. I know from my friends experiences getting into fishing that cheaper baitcasting reels arent always a great investment. Look into spending a little more if you can and you won't regret much. Citica is a great option too.

Most of my casting reels for the last 30+ years have been Shimano`s, some Abu Garcia reels mixed in. Common reels, parts are readily available, if a tight budget a Citica isn`t a bad reel.

You can also check Ebay for a gently used old model Curado, good reels.

Thanks everyone after some PM's back and forth I have decided what I am going to get I am going to wait a bit and save up till I have enough to buy a Curado may as well just get the one I will want next. Saves some money in the end for tackle. Thanks Geoff and everyone else that replied.

Thanks

Chris