Border crossings US / Canada

Rattletrap2

You've handled it well Brian! And for anyone else here that crosses regularily I'd follow Brian's example of tolerance. All it takes is pissing off one customs officer... and him typing in the computer DENIED ! Nobody, other than that specific officer can reverse that decission. He is prosecuter, judge and jury and if you ever want back into the USA again be prepared to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on lawyers. There are examples of many that have had to sell their vacation properties on either side of the border, as they can't get to them anymore!

I can say that they will have you on file no matter what crossing you go to the plate is in there and they know the info when the plate is read.

They ask the same questions over and over to see if you slip up.

They will also inspect you if you are heading over and staying for periods of time like you are it just looks fishy.

They will also do random inspections when the computer said so and you might have been unlucky one time.

From past visits if some one flagged your license plate then it will come up that way every time.

I cross with my company every week 3-5 times a week each way and they know every time. They will ask me when the last time I was Xrayed if I don't know they will send me in for a reminder. If I know I tell them and if it was in a different truck I let them know that as they already know its on the computer. I have a different card from NEXUS but same idea.

Sounds to me like some guard liked you and flagged you. just be polite every time and have your papers in order.

They also act stern and mad to through you off or make nervous people mess up.

Hope things get better for you.

I do remember now thinking back, as a child coming back with the family from a vacation up in canada being brought aside at customs and my father having his new 78 thunderbird searched thoroughly by US customs. And i mean thoroughly......seats taken out etc. From what i understand, it was because his vehicle matched the description of one they were on the lookout for. DOnt remember why it was. Didnt seem to matter that he had identification of who he was......a wife and 3 kids in the car etc.

Just had a canadian truck deliver minutes ago to our dock on the US side. First thing he said as i asked how his day was going was......."Well, the bridge was a mess, but other than that im doin fine" lol. I asked if it was a longer than normal wait and he said "yeah, there scouring the trucks ever since they got bin laden". He also mentioned that he's fine with the diligance at the border and understands the reasoning behind it.

I have hauled a boat both ways for the last five years.

Occasionally they want to look inside, going down, not coming back, so far.

Frankly it's harder to get out of Yuma Az. There is a check point on the highway about 50 miles into the desert. They have dogs, at the check point, looking for illegal's. On the morning I'm heading home I pack yesterdays laundry and my sleeping bag inside the boat...This always causes the dogs to act-up.

So accept my apology with my explanation Brian.

Art

you do need to apologize

you had nothing to do with it

or did you....:whistling:

it has happened to me and was even more of a hassle then you had..made the first couple of days in FLD lousy just thinking about how hard it was getting into the USA..I have not been back..so there...2 years later they were having financial troubles..that will teach them..LOL

I think it is the beard

For everyones info, single male travelling alone is no 1 on their list. Race/ethnic background is "largely" irrelevant. This is because they are scared if they racially profile, terrorist groups will find people that don't fit the profile to do their deeds.

I know this because I used to get dragged in all the time as well. I had one immigration officer who was quite chatty (And he was reading Ontario outdoors) and I simply asked why I was being pulled in all the time. Answer: Single male travelling alone.

I'm sorry you had to go through it, I can totally relate, but if I moan about it, it won't change. Your approach works the best, suck it up and smile. :whistling: :whistling:

I would venture a guess that single males traveling alone represent the vast majority of people crossing the border every single day.

I would guess so too, but that is what the guy told me. I am sure there are other red flags on top of that. I have heard the same info from other people at airport check in before when the TSA was first brought online in the early 2000's. I always got searched and that was why. I am sure the frequency with which you cross the border also plays in to it as well.

im with Terry on this one ...after many years of crossing issue free (normal crap) they decided to interrogate me and my plane flew away without me on it ...that was their first and last opportunity to do so....other countries welcome visitors with open arms and appreciate my visits...holidays are not supposed to be started off with Bull...who needs it ..

I was once comming back from down south and there was a dude ( he looked and sounded like Boomhower) that was comming to canada to train canadians on a factory machine because his company relocated to Toronto...the canadians denied him and this is why we no longer have two dollar bills :dunno:

side note...Canada is filled with people with funny accents to make a canadian vacation feel foreign..

i guess in your situation the beard might be a "flag" but if you shave it off...whatever you do ....DONT wear an "Orange County Chopper" shirt :wallbash:

For everyones info, single male travelling alone is no 1 on their list. Race/ethnic background is "largely" irrelevant. This is because they are scared if they racially profile, terrorist groups will find people that don't fit the profile to do their deeds.

I know this because I used to get dragged in all the time as well. I had one immigration officer who was quite chatty (And he was reading Ontario outdoors) and I simply asked why I was being pulled in all the time. Answer: Single male travelling alone.

I'm sorry you had to go through it, I can totally relate, but if I moan about it, it won't change. Your approach works the best, suck it up and smile. :whistling: :whistling:

Dutchy,,,, can i remind you "suck it up and smile" the next time your flights are delayed ? :tease:

When I attended law enforcement at Seneca, ( 30 yrs. ago) it may have changed, but, all those that could not become cops ( grades, gun permits , size, etc.) went on to become border guards. Wana bees- ,nuff said. No offence if you are a border guard, times change.

Edited by fishermccann

you do need to apologize

you had nothing to do with it

or did you....:whistling:

it has happened to me and was even more of a hassle then you had..made the first couple of days in FLD lousy just thinking about how hard it was getting into the USA..I have not been back..so there...2 years later they were having financial troubles..that will teach them..LOL

I think it is the beard

The apology was that he has to be treated like a criminal because of the actions of a few. In a way I did have something to do with it I voted the government in (well some of them) and told them to make me feel safe and this is their attempt. I would rather apologize to 1000 people if it will stop one person from getting thru and causing act of terrorism. If I apologize to you too will you come see the good side of the USA? If so I apologize to you too.

Art

Its not just you, a few of my coworkers went down for a course and were in full uniform in an unmarked police car and had full documentation allowing them to travel with their use of force and they were still detained and questioned at the border. Its a matter of doing business I guess

I'll bet that burned their :asshat: , shoe being on the other foot for a change.

:lol:

I'll bet that burned their :asshat: , shoe being on the other foot for a change.

:lol:

I think that they would understand more than most , they too have to follow rules that sometimes make little,( or no) sense.

Edited by fishermccann

Its not just you, a few of my coworkers went down for a course and were in full uniform in an unmarked police car and had full documentation allowing them to travel with their use of force and they were still detained and questioned at the border. Its a matter of doing business I guess

Wow, I have to say that this surprises me.

Guys,

I don't want or expect an apology from any of you, but thanks for the gesture! That is what friends tend to do!

Blaque, It is only a tongue in cheek statement. It would take more than this to really knock the shine off of your Country in my eyes! LOL

I really have no issues with them taking precautions. Like a lot of you, I am thankful that they are doing their jobs.The Canadian Guards are very polite to me and maybe, just maybe, they should be checking things out in a little more detail?

The part that gets me is that they now have loads of info on me. I have complied with all their requests. They have had their fun. It is now time to move on to bigger fish!

They have looked at my wallet, passport, letters from the school, letters from my employer, been given reference numbers to contact, checked out my record if they desire, and found i am squeaky clean. I am born and raised in Canada, like my parents and grandparents before me. I do not have any flags (or should not have any!).

I too am doing my job. i would think that a few questions would suffice at this point to confirm I am the same individual.

The Nexus option is a good one, but unfortunately won't help me with this situation.

My beard has been the source of jokes for years. If I was to shave it off now, it would look like I am trying to hide! LOL I have had it for over 20 years!

Wayne, I know what you are saying all too well. All it takes is one wrong comment or remark and I am done! That would be a real tragedy!

I just had to vent last night and see if anyone had any inside info or similar experiences.

In regards to my frequent trips back and forth. This is why I was upfront and honest with them at the very first crossing. The letters explain in detail when and why I am going back and forth. Not trying to hide anything.

Edited by Rattletrap2

The apology was that he has to be treated like a criminal because of the actions of a few. In a way I did have something to do with it I voted the government in (well some of them) and told them to make me feel safe and this is their attempt. I would rather apologize to 1000 people if it will stop one person from getting thru and causing act of terrorism. If I apologize to you too will you come see the good side of the USA? If so I apologize to you too.

Art

guess I should have used this one:sarcasm::sarcasm:...as it was totally kidding

Edited by Terry®

Oh, I forgot. I go into the USA at Lewiston, and come back through the Peace bridge. It is just the way the traffic flows. I thought about changing, but figured after what i went through the first time, I should stay with the same plan.

They cannot just be after me because of my beard and tanned skin. At least i am giving them more credit than this!

Wacko's come in all flavours and colours! I bet some even drive beige Buicks! LOL

Oh, I forgot. I go into the USA at Lewiston, and come back through the Peace bridge. It is just the way the traffic flows. I thought about changing, but figured after what i went through the first time, I should stay with the same plan.

They cannot just be after me because of my beard and tanned skin. At least i am giving them more credit than this!

Wacko's come in all flavours and colours! I bet some even drive beige Buicks! LOL

Next time tell them you know Billy Bob....you'll be set for LIFE... :whistling::rofl2: