Yo! Yo! We found some Coho

Man it has been a long winter, even with ice fishing. Been itching to get out on the open water, but, haven't even got my boat out of storage yet (next week for sure!!!!). Received an invitation from one of my fishing buds, and fellow board member, Spincast. Juli and I jumped at the chance to hit Lake O in search of salmonids.

We hit the road bright (dark) and early, got to Rick's, transferred our gear...then hit the open road. We were on the water, with the first rod out shortly after daybreak.

The cast and crew

Spincast

IMG_7761.jpg

Myself and Juli, smiling faces all around

IMG_7762.jpg

DSCN0637.jpg

We had some time to chat, and, trade a few stories before the first fish hit. We had decided Rick would be up first, he was overdue to have some fun with some chrome. After a nice battle, a scrappy 22"er was landed...quick photos and measurement, back it went. We must have still been half asleep, we had misidentified it as a bow, after the rest of the morning...and checking the photos, turns out it was a nice coho.

IMG_7803.jpg

Juli was up next, and, she made us wait...and wait........and wait some more

IMG_7832.jpg

IMG_7849.jpg

We had lunch, and, right after the fish turned on with a flurry! First rod jumped, we missed it...less than a minute later, the rigger rod went, by the time Juli got to it, the fish had been dancing on top and shook free, arrgh! Another minute passed and a third rod went off!! This one was on for good...almost a triple header, which would have been interesting.

DSCN0639.jpg

18" coho, not large, but, Juli's new PB

DSCN0640.jpg

Before we could get the two rods back in the water, my lead core, planer set up went off. Scrappy battle, and, my Lyman hunch had paid off.

IMG_7862.jpg

21 1/2" male coho

IMG_7866.jpg

What a great flurry of action, Rick in his "glitter pants", lol!! Coho scales everywhere!

IMG_7868.jpg

We were starting to run out of time, but, decided to make one more short pass back over the area where we had success. Trolled down, nothing, as soon as I began the turn...bang...fish on, Rick's second coho, a scrappy 17".

IMG_7870.jpg

IMG_7874.jpg

Trolled for a brief time after that, then packed up, and headed for port. Great times, laughs (especially the infomercial moment, where we were persuading the fish to bite, had to be there) and company. Thanks for an awesome morning/early afternoon on the water, buddy!!!

One last photo, fresh coho on the bbq (Juli's 18")

IMG_7899.jpg

Off to a kid's only fishing day tomorrow morning, then work in the afternoon. Happy Mother's Day to all the ladies on the forum!!!

Excellent report and pics Frankie :thumbsup_anim:

Sounds like you guys had a blast....

Congrats to Julie on her PB :clapping:

I wasn't so fortunate as you today.... got a good old skunkaroo :wallbash: Ah well tomorrow's another day :)

Again great job and thanks for sharing

Jacques

Thanks for the comments, guys. Yeah, Roy, it was a really nice calm day out there. Could have gone out in my 14 fter.

Too bad about the "skunkaroo" Jacques, hope you get into some today!!!

Off to the kid's fish/Mother's Day event here in Oxford County in a little bit, see if we can get the boys into their first rainbow trouts. :Gonefishing:

It was a great day on the water - enjoyed your company as always - you and Julie are welcome to join me anytime. Nice way to chrsiten the new down rigger setupsthumbsup_anim.gif . Thanks for the report -- my camera was on holiday yesterday (time for new rechargable batteries, no longer holding a charge) . Did Julie's arm recover from that little drag setting issue yet? w00t.gif