18,000 Lakers added to Lake O today

Ron

I just spoke with the MNR boyz and watched them dump 18,000 Lake trout fingerlings off the Cobourg Harbour. This is their second dumping in the last few weeks. If I'm not mistaken, the first allotment was 20,000 fingerlings.

So ya, the gulls got some, maybe 100 - 200 that is still a great number say at 17,800 the gulls didn't get!

I've seen them do the same thing on Lake Huron...cormorant feast. Too bad the MNR continues to stock species that most anglers would rank low on "type of fish they would like to catch" polls. Lakers in Simcoe, for ice fishing...definitely :thumbsup_anim:

Lakers in Lake O...considering they live long, grow large, and, absorb huge amounts of pollutants...no thanks. Not even a great fish for catch and release, considering most are caught in the summer, when they are far from their fighting prime.

Just my opinions :)

I've seen them do the same thing on Lake Huron...cormorant feast. Too bad the MNR continues to stock species that most anglers would rank low on "type of fish they would like to catch" polls. Lakers in Simcoe, for ice fishing...definitely thumbsup_anim.gif

Lakers in Lake O...considering they live long, grow large, and, absorb huge amounts of pollutants...no thanks. Not even a great fish for catch and release, considering most are caught in the summer, when they are far from their fighting prime.

Just my opinions smile.gif

I'll take 'em over the fall snag fest that they call a salmon fishery....just saying. whistling.gif

i believe they've stocked some at 50 point recently as well. i know they put in quite a few in the fall because i was getting a few in the marina while targeting perch and theres plenty more kicking around now and i saw a few of them wash up on the boat ramp.

No arguments on that point. However, the salmon provide a great open water sport fishery.

Oh absolutely they do and I do on occasion enjoy it.

But I do wish they'd stray away from Chinooks in favour of Cohos.

25 pound plus salmon just don't fair well in the tiny north shore streams of the heavily populated GTA region.

I've seen them do the same thing on Lake Huron...cormorant feast. Too bad the MNR continues to stock species that most anglers would rank low on "type of fish they would like to catch" polls. Lakers in Simcoe, for ice fishing...definitely :thumbsup_anim:

Just my opinions :)

The main reason they pump lakers into Lake O has nothing to do with creating a fishery. By showing that they're trying to re-establish a native species, MNR is able to coerce Fisheries & Oceans into continuing to pay for lamprey treatments.

Same deal with the Atlantic salmon, by the way.

Oh absolutely they do and I do on occasion enjoy it.

But I do wish they'd stray away from Chinooks in favour of Cohos.

25 pound plus salmon just don't fair well in the tiny north shore streams of the heavily populated GTA region.

I hear you, won't even fish the Lake O tribs. Big rivers, or rivermouths for me.

As for Coho's...YEAH BABY!!!! Spectacular fish. :clapping:

The main reason they pump lakers into Lake O has nothing to do with creating a fishery. By showing that they're trying to re-establish a native species, MNR is able to coerce Fisheries & Oceans into continuing to pay for lamprey treatments.

Same deal with the Atlantic salmon, by the way.

Great points, Craig!! I'm not even going there on the Atlantic salmon program :whistling:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

restoring a native species seems like a good idea. i'll support ecology over "cronzology" any day.

I really dont get the beef about the atlantic intro. :mellow:

Ron ,thanks for posting and the addition of the lakers in the great lakes is is a very cool effort by all involved.

My thinking is though,why repopulate fish in water that is so contaminated?Lakers have been known to carry the most mercury levels of all. I have to side sorta,with Frankie. I would fish the tribs, as it,s a place to fish,catch and release,but would I eat them,NO.

Now repopulate Georgian bay and Simcoe,now were talking.

Another government waste of money!what happened to stocking rainbows?The last major stocking was in the 70's and the run blossomed to almost 20000 fish for a few years in the ganny.I know it is basically put and take but I will bet some of you folks will remember catching them damn lake trout in the port hope harbour for a few years,they were a nuisance.What fish scraps better and runs up the streams in the spring,RAINBOW TROUT!Maybe should put a few walleye in the kawarthas also but no they are still wasting there time with atlantic salmon.WHAT A JOKE!

My thinking is though,why repopulate fish in water that is so contaminated?Lakers have been known to carry the most mercury levels of all. I have to side sorta,with Frankie. I would fish the tribs, as it,s a place to fish,catch and release,but would I eat them,NO.

Now repopulate Georgian bay and Simcoe,now were talking.

Thanks Brian, lol!!

One thing I want to make clear...I don't hate lake trout...in fact I love them in the winter!!! Fantastic fish for ice fishing...or in northern lakes. I just would rather see #1 Steelhead #2 Coho #3 Chinook being stocked for my license $$$$'s, in the Great Lakes.

Brian, we need to work on the baitfish population in Gbay/Huron.. Once those are established, you'll see the fish populations spike up again. No point in stocking fish if they've got nothing to eat.

I can imagine some MONSTER lakers coming out of Simcoe with all those damn herring though! lol

I' not sure stocking pickerel in the Kawarthas is the greatest idea since I believe it affects the natural strain already in the lakes. Stocked fish have questionable reproduction rates and i'd hate to see a fishery as good as the kawarthas affected by this. All things considered, the kawarthas have held up pretty good against the massive pressure recieved from the GTA and surrounding areas. Keep pumpin any and all kinds of trout and salmonoids in the big lake though, we all know know its a put and put back fishery anyhow. My 2 cents

Another government waste of money!what happened to stocking rainbows?The last major stocking was in the 70's and the run blossomed to almost 20000 fish for a few years in the ganny.I know it is basically put and take but I will bet some of you folks will remember catching them damn lake trout in the port hope harbour for a few years,they were a nuisance.What fish scraps better and runs up the streams in the spring,RAINBOW TROUT!Maybe should put a few walleye in the kawarthas also but no they are still wasting there time with atlantic salmon.WHAT A JOKE!

Rainbow trout...there populated enough, unless you really don't pay attention you should be doing pretty good out there catching them, is it as easy for lake trout? Are Lake trout more superior, in my eyes yes...sure they dont contribute to food money and government income but this dam world isnt about money, one os doing well as as you pointed .....they all spawn in the rivers like crazy...lake trout are sensitive and could use the help...quit ur bichi...oops :P