Royalty, Meal fit for a King

Fish Farmer

Rinse, and if you have a steamer that works well, shake of excess water, plop of butter and a tiny shake of nutmeg.

Or a covered glass bowl with fitted lid, 1/4 cup of water, on high for 3 mins, drain, plop of butter and a tiny shake of nutmeg.

How do you prepare the fiddleheads? I don't think I saw any around our place just yet...maybe soon though!

Get the water to a good boil and drop them in. Don't walk away the take only a minute. Rinse off and add butter salt and pepper. MMmmmmmm.

Get the water to a good boil and drop them in. Don't walk away the take only a minute. Rinse off and add butter salt and pepper. MMmmmmmm.

I've eaten Fiddleheads since I was a kid but there has been some question surrounding the toxicity of them. It is recommended that they be cooked for 10 minutes and change the water once in between. Also, make sure they are Ostrich Ferns not Braken(not usually around here) as, the later has been linked to cancer. The affects are rare but include nausea, vommitting and diarrhea...nothing that will kill you, so enjoy! I will be picking some this weekend :)

How do you prepare the fiddleheads? I don't think I saw any around our place just yet...maybe soon though!

I just boil for a few Min's then drain, dump on plate then butter pepper and salt some people shake a little vinegar on top.

After you pick them they are a pain to clean but well worth the work. Another thing it's hard to find a place to pick them close to Hamilton, most places are posted.

I'll have to try the Nutmeg as fisherman suggested, sounds good.

I have had them in a stir fry, and that was good.

Edited by Fish Farmer

I have to say that fiddle heads are a great free veggie to those that are willing to get out and get them.I myself like them and like mentioned,fried in budder and garlic with pepper topped with a squezze of lemon. I recall being waken up by pop in the spring and saying,who wants to go fishing? We be gone for a few hours then it was the,see these,start pick,n boyz. It was just as fun as the fish,n, as we competed to see who could pick the most. Funny how it took til know ,to remember how much fun fiddle pick,n was.

Thanks FF :clapping: Memories

I have to say that fiddle heads are a great free veggie to those that are willing to get out and get them.I myself like them and like mentioned,fried in budder and garlic with pepper topped with a squezze of lemon. I recall being waken up by pop in the spring and saying,who wants to go fishing? We be gone for a few hours then it was the,see these,start pick,n boyz. It was just as fun as the fish,n, as we competed to see who could pick the most. Funny how it took til know ,to remember how much fun fiddle pick,n was.

Thanks FF clapping.gif Memories

I picked up a bunch in Barrie last year... Free and organic, you can't go wrong.

Nipfish..they should be sprouting next weekin our area...let's go get some!

Thanks FF :clapping: Memories

Your welcome Brian and thank you because your story almost reminds me about my pop taking me and my sister out Speckle fishin and my dad taking bags to pick fiddleheads on our walk in the bush.

Thanks Brudder , nothin like memories