Ethonol plant in Barrie

misfish

I know for those that dont live here probly dont give a filtered try again please,but myself ,it,s a bit to close to a residential city,well right in the city to be exact.For those that dont know where it,s going,well remember when Barrie became famous for the plant ,that grew the plant,yep, the old Molson property.They will be tearing the plant down and putting up this corn mashing plant to make Ethonol. Pretty scary filtered try again please if you ask me. :w00t:

Thanks Roy,

A very interesting read. I'll reserved my opinions because of the political mindfield this could cause. :whistling::whistling:

Thanks Brian for bringing it to the forefront again. I know it will have an effect on the community, and with the prevailing winds, I'm going to get a good wiff most of the time. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Not only is the probability of an explosion possible,the stench,yes the stench,will be over whelming.I use to live by a milk bone plant in Bramalea, and every morning ,when I walked to the bus stop,the smell would make me throw up,right there on the walkway to the bus. Gross.

There is alot of vacant land on the outskirts of Barrie to have this plant,why put it right in the city? Do they think the 400 hwy will give them exposure ? Why not have it out in the country in the middle of a CORN FIELD!

First of all ... don't believe everything you read ( on either side of the ethanol arguement!!!)

Second.... there is absolutely minimal chance of an "explosion" - they may have the odd fire to contend with in their Drying system but they will no doubt have many safeguards in place should it occur.

Thirdly, I find it difficult to believe that the plant will smell that badly. If it does then blame the Ministry of the Environment for issuing the CofA - being a conversion of the Brewery they may not even have a Drying system and if they do I am sure they will be required to install a Thermal Oxidizer to eliminate the odour.

Fourth, I will be surprised if that project ever actually comes to be - there is a lot of buzz about ethanol right now and everyone seems to want a piece of the puzzle. Many of the rumoured plants are just not feasible.

I do agree however that the middle of a city is NOT an ideal location for a plant and I certainly would not want to look out my window and see one.

HARV

Regrettably, there is a lot a valid concern regarding the potential of bio fuels, especially ethanol from corn. It has supporters in the farm community, as it creates new demand for corn and may bring stronger prices thereby reducing the need for government assistance for the farm sector. Unfortunately, these plants require subsidies to get established, and there appear to be valid arguments that ethanol costs more to produce than it is worth, even if the price of corn stays reasonably low.

It may be different we were able to produce ethanol from high volume, low cost biomass. (like I believe Brazil currently does) One artricle I read said the U.S. ( and I assume Canada as well) could import ethanol cheaper from Brazil than we can produce it, it's just that to do so would upset the U.S. farmer and fly in the face of the U.S. trying to wean themselves from foreign supplies of energy. The article stated that the U.S. ethanol sector could not survive if it were not for subsidies, tariffs, and other protectionist measures by the U.S.

It will be interesting to see if these ethanol plants are still runnung in 10 -15 yrs. Andy

the problem is I still don't know what is Lies and Propaganda and what is the truth...

is the story I am reading orchestrated by the gas companies who sure don't want ethanol or is the info scientific fact or a pack of lies to confuse people.....either way it's working, because I am confused..the more I read the less I know......

Interesting article to say the least. My take on this, quit producing 300+HP cars and trucks and make the damm things go twice as far on a litre of gas instead. There isn't a highway anywhere around here that amount of power is required to keep a vehicle runnign at 110/120km/h, it can be easily done with half the power, it wasn't all so long ago, most vehicles were running no more than 150HP and could easily do 140+. But, as long as the ameri (Tim Allen) way of thinking is alive, it won't happen.

Interesting article Roy. I don't know were they got their numbers regarding the fuel mileage but I don't agree with the 20% less than gas statement. My '04 Ranger is a flexfuel vehicle & I only got 15-20 miles less on a full tank th with E85 than I did with gas with city driving. Plus the performance was much better with the E85 & I saved $.15/gal.

well it would create jobs,and help the community but yes there is the political aspect of it ,as well but like you guys said you would have to get lots more info and an environment assesment and all that stuff,so im sure it will take along time to do all that crap,so i wouldnt worry quite yet,lets see what happens first...cheers

We should always be suspicious of what government wants us to do. They always seem to have their own agendas and so do the Bureaucrats. The oil companies love this as it gives them another reason to say the price of gas is higher because the ethanol companies can't keep up with the demand for fuel. Who are the winners, definately not us unless you have shares in oil and ethanol companies.

Rob C

I thought that deal had fallen through, guess I have to pay more attention. Luckily I have the smell of the landfill nearby to mask the smell of the plant!

You really need to get out more.LOL

You can bet they got thier greedy paws in it Roy.There was a meeting with the city last night. Be interesting what came of it. All I know is they said the building was coming down and the new plant was going up.

Back door politics maybe.

Just read the local paper,seem the major concern is the stench. For those that live in Chatham,they apparently know to well what the smell is like. The CEO of northern Ethanol said the Barrie plant would have a system to control the odur,they call it the "regenerative thermal oxidizers"it appaerntly "burns the smell".

Another concern was more truck traffic on the HWY.That I dont have a problem with,thats why I moved north,so I could get a head start on it.LOL

Looks like we have a couple of years yet to worry,cOnstruction wont be starting til late 08 or 09,if it happens at all. They are also waiting for a certificate of approval from the MOE. The cost of the plant,200,000,000 dollars.

yeah it seems there are different stories about it

that it's hard to know what the truth is...

I did read that the newer plants have little if any smell

and that it doesn't take more oil based products to produce it then the amount of ethanol it will produce.....

who the hell could ever know what the REAL truth is

Enjoy the smell........a friend lives near the one south of Sarnia and he and the other residents are always complaining about the smell especially on hot still summer days!

I guess were lucky just getting a wind farm where were at.

I really cant see the fastest growing city in the country, allowing this plant to happen.

People will leave and no one will come.

Barrie I believe, cant afford that to happen.

Sure... Barrie can afford to do whatever it wants. The fact remains that it is within commuting distance to T.O. and that means people will put up with pretty much anything in order to live in that range.

In Burlington there is a pork processing plant, yep I can smell pig feces when the wind blows a certain way fresh baked cookies (Voortman) when it blows the other way...:lol: Milton has a large mushroom plant, you can bet that smells pretty darn good too, Hamilton-nuff said, , yet people still live there and they build homes within a stones throw of these places.

Any patch of land reflects $$ for businesses.

Tony