Force outboard motors

jigger08

Force was the old OEM motor for Bayliner boats. Not sure who made them but they where generaly percieved as entry level quality. I would have your locally Marina advise you if they are even servicable anymore. And if so, then do a complete inspection, compression test, etc...

chrysler became Force outboard when merc bought them out....I had a lot of luck with chrysler outboards

and they were the first ones to do their HP at the prop instead of the crank, so they were fast for thier size

As i remember it, When Chrysler went backrupt in the late 70's, the governmnet made them sell off there boat division and force marine was invented then bought by merc, Good motors easy to work on if your handy, but marine mechanics will not touch them because its very hard to get parts.

What size is on the boat?

As i remember it, When Chrysler went backrupt in the late 70's, the governmnet made them sell off there boat division and force marine was invented then bought by merc, Good motors easy to work on if your handy, but marine mechanics will not touch them because its very hard to get parts.

What size is on the boat?

It's a 50 horse on a 16 footer.1986 vintage.

I had a 40 Force and depending on the year you can get parts. There electrics were very bad for crapping out and there not cheap. The newer models made by Merc have Merc electrics but they still give some hassles. The older models with Chrysler electrics are getting very hard to find parts for. My motor (Merc style) had electrical troubles and in order to fix I had to change the CDI box which was an update and meant you had to change the coil as well, cost about $800 by the time I was done. They wouldn't be my first choice unless the price was right.

I've seen a few eye rolls from marine mechanics about these engines - never bothered to explore the reasons though.

I get the eye roll every time i book my FORCE in for repair or service,I have a 1989 50 hp force and have had a few small issues but nothing major.I have been told that if there is a major problem that Force are usually not worth the money to fix,

Pretty sure Force was Chrysler too. A friend had one I think it was a 50hp also, it has been more than 10 years ago though. He had no problems with it until he bought mixed gas at a marina that turned out not to be mixed. He had it for quite a while with no problems. They aren`t common down here though, no idea about getting parts.

I have a Force 70 HP. Bottom unit:vMerc parts. No trouble at all for 9 years or so. Two years ago started having some problems with stalling etc. even after 2 tune ups and some replacement of parts. After 11 years, perhaps I need a new motor. Would I buy another one: Probably not. Would I buy a used one? I really would consider some other options. Just my opinion and experience.

Some models/sizes had more troubles than others. The 85/90 hp were very common on the Bayliners and seemed to last a long time with no trouble. The 120 hp had serious powerhead troubles, My neighbour has a 40 on a 16'alum. Shortly after bending a prop, the lower unit went, you can visually see how small they are on a 40 or 50. Over a couple of years the head gasket went twice. Then later it blew a piston and he changed the power head to a 50. It is still working ok, but the lower unit was gone on the 50 too, thats how he was able to get it cheap. The marina seems to have a stockload of these things in various stages of disrepair. If you are getting it cheap and can do repairs yourself it might be worth a gamble.