High milage for snowmobile

2advanced

Hey guys

I am looking for a sled and have never purchases one before. Obviously I am most concerned with the longevity of these two stoke motors because they don't seem to have a very long life span

Is a 2006 skidoo with 15000km a ticking time bomb?

probly

Yes I would steer clear of that one if you have no experience with sleds.

The motor is a big part but there are other things to consider like skid bearings, shock, tracks, clutchs. A sled with that much mileage is going to need some work for sure.

Look around, right now is a a buyers market, dont wait until fall as prices will rise.

Oh ya just make sure you buy a CAT!

hahaha good luckand have fun

Hey guys

I am looking for a sled and have never purchases one before. Obviously I am most concerned with the longevity of these two stoke motors because they don't seem to have a very long life span

Is a 2006 skidoo with 15000km a ticking time bomb?

My price range is about 2-3k and I was looking for something like a 2003

There isn't much to choose from but 9000km+ seem to be the norm

I am fairly mechanically include and have lots of tools lol

But

Never worked on a sled

How diffiucult an it be lol

What I'm more worried about is parts. Is it expensive to do maintenance at 9000+km or should I spend a little more with less km

OHHHH I MISS WINTER!!!

just like any other machine there are tell tale sings.

15000 kms ??

what kind of sled /engine size/chasi/and suspension??

how mutch are they asking?

if you dont know what your realy looking at than i would say spend the money and buy a sled from a credible dealer with a warrenty.

im prety lucky i have good friends that are absolute sled heads!!

mine is a 96 MXZ 583

bought it with 9700kms and its bulletproof.

i have just over 12000km on it now and i have full compresion in both cylinders.

i put money into the suspension/track studs/carbides and good maitenance every fall.

dont use it for trail riding.

it is my boat in the winter.

love the ice fishing.

any questions just pm me.

Low milage sleds are hard to find for your price range. I would agree to look to the south for one they usually have lower milage from less frequent use. I have a 1998 Polaris Indy 500 bought it brand new and right now it has a grand total of 1800 miles on it and looks brand new but I would be lucky to get 2000 for it because it is 13 years old.

Look in the States. Lots of selection, lower mileage sleds and easy to bring back. And the CDN $$ doesn't hurt either!

They built a new customs building right beside us. It,s insane the amount of boats,sleds and bikes on trailers, roll in from the states.

Check out models and reviews I would always buy used over new sleds because the depreciate in value so quick plus you find out 5 years later what sleds are reliable and which ones always had problems so your better off buying used anyway. I got a ski-doo 2001 600 mxz because everywhere I looked guys had 15-20k on them before the engine needed a rebuild it's like the honda civic of snowmobiles. It really comes down to how good you take care of them, they are easy to fix yourself if you have a little knowledge and old sleds have no shortage of used parts lying around. That said I bought mine with 2400k almost new for $2500 and was laughing my buddy spent 14k on a new Yamaha and his breaks down more than mine and I beat him on the trails so don't let marketing and popularity confuse you, just keep looking, find the model you want first than you can narrow it down and find the best deal.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'd keep looking as well.

truthfully, you could buy a brand new sled and blow it up in 2 seasons, why take risks on a sled with that high of mileage?

also, being mechanically inclined used to be enough to work on snowmobiles, but modern sleds are like a car... they are full of wiring, a computer, and often require specialty tools to properly worked upon.

as was mentioned, you can get GREAT deals on sleds in the states.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

definitely take your time. when do you find a test make sure you do a compression test!

if i may offer a little hint as to a good place to start... (i know a few guys who will be mad i even posted this link because they bargain hunt all season long)

http://www.snowmobileauction.com/

Keep looking. I picked up a 2002 Arctic Cat 800 with 2000 kilometers on it for 3 grand. It is bullet proof. Keep looking you will find a nice sled for 3000

Arctic cat..bullet proof....you're joking right

Arctic cat..bullet proof....you're joking right

I was going to say, triples are known for dropping a cylinder and the owner having no idea. It will run on 2cyls just fine and wreck a crapload of stuff while it's at it.

i miss winter!!

where to start?

the most important thing to concider is.

are you able to get your machine running if something minor goes wrong when its -20 with a wind?

all the newer sleds have computers /efi bla bla bla

my point is bullet proof sleds are reliable simple machines!

IE.

up at nosbonsing late janurary . it was cold!

3 out of 8 seds started.

1986 yamaha 340 et/96 mxz 583/06 mxz500 !!

cats and polaris dead.

the 340 and 583 have been in our group for the past 10 yrs not once have we ever been stranded.

583 is mine .

theese are simple strong machines that require nothing but basic matinance

so my point is. simple is beter when dealing with what could be a life or death situation

not to say that polaris doesnt have good sleds out there (indy) but cats ?? seem to push limmits and fail.

im a firm believer in keeping engines simple. espicialy on sleds and boat engines

if somthing goes wrong i dont have a diagnostic computer in my back pocket..

Keep looking, there are some good deals out there, I sold my 96 Polaris a few years back for $3500.00 it was in mint condition with about 750 original miles on it. Only reason I sold it was that I just wasn't using it anymore and by the time I paid insurance and everything on it I figured it was costing me about $10.00 a mile to run it. Back then there wasn't any ice fishing on this lake and I had an ATV.

to get to your question.

Talking engines

15,000 km is a fair bit for a 2 stroke sled.

It is not a lot for a 4 stroke Yamaha.

The rest of the sled is still a sled and it is also a fair bit of milage.

If it has been well maintained then its not a big deal. If it has been rode hard and put away wet, its a different matter.

I have an 06 4 stroke for sale with 17,000 knm that I wouldn't hesitate to sell to my mother.

No I am not joking.

And Bill. A person would have to be pretty thick not to notice a dropped cylinder. Anyone with any sense of mechanics would know immediately.

When I was looking for a machine, a buddy of mine who is very well versed in all things snowmobiles told me to stay away from the triples for this very reason. I think you give people too much credit :) :)