Warning about filling propane tanks with adaptor.

Nipfisher

Propane

Technical Standards and Safety Authority

News Release

Toronto - The Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) have issued an alert regarding propane cylinder adaptors, designed to transfer propane from a BBQ-type cylinder to a smaller, non-refillable cylinder (typically 1-pound camp-stove bottles), that are being offered to the public via online retailers. These adaptors are illegal in the province of Ontario – as refilling non-refillable cylinders is prohibited by the Propane Storage and Handling Code – and pose safety risks to the public such as serious fires, explosions and burn hazards.

Propane cylinders must be filled by weight or volume as specified by the maximum value that is safely permitted by law. Cylinders must also be filled by a TSSA-licensed facility. Transferring propane from a BBQ-type cylinder to a smaller, non-refillable cylinder cannot be safely performed and the practice is illegal in the province of Ontario. The public is warned of this propane cylinder adaptor and the potential safety risks to the user.

I recently purchase my refill adaptor from a big box store (Lowes). I haven't had the chance to use it yet.....and no, I didn't "jimmy-rig" something up with pieces from the bbq section and plumbing wall ..lol. It's a Mr. Heater refill adaptor.

Well this isn't news to me, they should pull these products off the market immediately to prevent and accidents from happening... If you need to use a 1lb tank or something of similar size, buy a 5 lb refillable tank - way cheaper to fill, and meant to be re-used many times.

what accidents have happened

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

likely the only way this would impact anybody is if an accident happened, your insurance wouldn't cover the damages. not likely to happen, but possible.

it definitely isn't rocket science to refill a propane bottle.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I don`t know why anybody would risk blowing themselves up to save a couple of bucks! :wallbash:

there is no more risk then hooking up any propane tank to a heater/BBQ.....it's all hype....

there isn't enough pressure to cause any type of problem

and propane is a fairly stable gas..just like natural gas..do you think you could run it into all those home if it wasn't

there would be a gas explosion every day if it wasn't

hell I got a flat tire once, dragged out the spare only to find it flat

I had a couple of tanks of propane and a valve adapter so I filled the tire up with propane...worked great......

oh and I save close to 100 bucks a year on those little suckers

Edited by Papa Smurf

I think the law reads that it is ill eagle , (sick bird) to TRANSPORT self filled containers!

that is what I was told by every agency I contacted about 12 years ago when I tried to find out if it was legal......

there is no more risk then hooking up any propane tank to a heater/BBQ.....it's all hype....

and propane is a fairly stable gas..just like natural gas..do you think you could run it into all those home if it wasn't

I had a couple of tanks of propane and a valve adapter so I filled the tire up with propane...worked great......

Well :dunno: Papa but I would think that a leaking LPG cylinder or a leaking NG fitting in your house for that matter exposed to an ignition source would equal an explosion, probably why they tell you not to store propne cylinder indoors!

Well :dunno: Papa but I would think that a leaking LPG cylinder or a leaking NG fitting in your house for that matter exposed to an ignition source would equal an explosion, probably why they tell you not to store propne cylinder indoors!

but that happens to as many store bought ones as refilled ones

that goes for any stored in a house but that makes them no more unsafe then any other propane tan, which was my point in that.............

Edited by Papa Smurf

There is a neighbourhood in Toronto that may debate you on how stable propane gas is. Fill a tire up with propane hahahaha.....people wonder why some people blow them selves up, that just answered my question

There is a neighbourhood in Toronto that may debate you on how stable propane gas is. Fill a tire up with propane hahahaha.....people wonder why some people blow them selves up, that just answered my question

and of course it was not caused by refilling 1 lb tanks.. but lets see how many cars explode from gasoline compared to how many houses explode due to natural gas ....still one of the safest ways to heat a house..

and filling tires work and will not explode..I know lots of people who carried propane tanks for just that purpose, year ago.. ..now if you showed me a case where a propane tire exploded or for that matter even one link to a news story that claims a (refilled)1 lb tank exploded then you have an argument.....so far lots of talk no facts

Edited by Papa Smurf

Here we go again.....welcome to the Canadian Liberal Nanny state...

Some government level or no name organization always seem to think they know best what is good/not good for me....

As they say in Italy - Basta!

I am about to buy one of those adaptors myself to avoid been gouged with the outrageous high price of the small gas containers.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

and of course it was not caused by refilling 1 lb tanks.. but lets see how many cars explode from gasoline compared to how many houses explode due to natural gas ....still one of the safest ways to heat a house..

and filling tires work and will not explode..I know lots of people who carried propane tanks for just that purpose, year ago.. ..now if you showed me a case where a propane tire exploded or for that matter even one link to a news story that claims a (refilled)1 lb tank exploded then you have an argument.....so far lots of talk no facts

Not great at posting links but a google search would confirm a lawsuit filed in Texas a couple of years ago by a father of a dead man, apparently he BBQ`ed himself while using one of those adapters and one of those 1lb. tanks. I don`t know what the outcome of the suit was.

It would never occur to me to fill my tires with a explosive gas but thats just me. :wallbash:

one case in texas doesn't really mean much

now if you did a search and 50 cases popped up one might worry

but that just isn't the case...could you find one in canada...LOL

and as for explosive gas....try lighting a tank on fire ......

put a pin in the valve and get it releasing gas and light it.....outside please

it will just burn............

about the only way they explode is if they are in a very hot fire and not releasing gas themselves they explode..

there is little danger from propane tanks or there is no more danger from 1 lb refilled tanks then there is from a brand new one..........

like some one else said.WHY would someone want to risk their lives on serious injury refillling these things

CT has them 3 for 8 bucks at least twice a yeardunno.gif

As Papa said, the tanks wont explode, but since the gas is heavier than air, a leaky tank is the danger.The gaz could accumulate and a spark is all thats needed for it to burst into flame.Try leavin the valves on your BBQ open for 10 seconds before igniting.say good bye to facial and arm hair.

You fellows that are saying it isn't dangerous haven't seen the results from propane explosions.

Don't treat it as if it wasn't!

Filling a container more than 80% full doesn't leave enough room for expansion.

I have done courses on propane conversions in vehicles in the past and presently have a filling licence.

Also as a retired volunteer firefighter we also had extensive training on propane fires.

Proper handling is needed.

and how many tank explosions have you seen where the tank wasn't already in an intense fire/heat....

and I say again, a refilled tanks is no more dangerous then store bought tanks...... and without heat to expand it..a 1lb tank will not explode form being filled more then 80%

it just means there is no room for the liquid to turn to gas before it gets to the appliance..

in the greater scheme of things they are pretty safe

but again I say..and my point was a refilled 1lb tank isn't more dangerous then a store bought tank..each person can decide for themselves how dangerous a store bought tank or any propane tank is.............. everyone should have a healthy respect for propane

check out myth buster shooting tanks

myth busters

Edited by Papa Smurf

and I say again, a refilled tanks is no more dangerous then store bought tanks...... and without heat to expand it..a 1lb tank will not explode form being filled more then 80%

it just means there is no room for the liquid to turn to gas before it gets to the appliance..

myth busters

You've never seen the results of a cylinder going hydraulic.

"compared to how many houses explode due to natural gas ....still one of the safest ways to heat a house.."

Natural gas is not safe at all, it's the way it's handled that makes it safe. Following codes and laws with it's use, so you won't have a problem.

Same thing applies to the propane tank thingy.

That's all.

If you follow the instructions with the refiller and add a few precautions such as storing them in a well ventilated area, testing each one with soapy water, and even using a small scale to ensure they are not overfilled, then you wil be ok. At less than a buck to re-fill compared to 5 bucks for a new bottle, you are not only saving money, you save them from the garbage. A five lb tank is a better solution but when I'm pulling my ice sled the less weight the better........