Warning about filling propane tanks with adaptor.

Nipfisher

Guest gbfisher

and how many tank explosions have you seen where the tank wasn't already in an intense fire/heat....

and I say again, a refilled tanks is no more dangerous then store bought tanks...... and without heat to expand it..a 1lb tank will not explode form being filled more then 80%

it just means there is no room for the liquid to turn to gas before it gets to the appliance..

in the greater scheme of things they are pretty safe

but again I say..and my point was a refilled 1lb tank isn't more dangerous then a store bought tank..each person can decide for themselves how dangerous a store bought tank or any propane tank is.............. everyone should have a healthy respect for propane

check out myth buster shooting tanks

myth busters

LOL Terry ...I don't have to watch Myth busters to know that propane tanks do not blow up. Even with the help of a fire around it they only make a small fire ball. Shooting them does nothing at all. Even the 20 lbders do nothing when shot. You have to have a fire around them to make anything happen and even then its a fireball not an explosion.. :whistling:

You're more likely to burn yourself lighting the BBQ. :rolleyes: Propane has a scent to it for a reason and is your first clue to not light anything when you smell a leak.

Winternet is still on so it seems. :sarcasm:

stop with all the scare hype on filling the 1lb bottles. Tell me what's the difference when I go to crappy tire with my 20lb tank and the kid fills it up from the huge tank that we are both standing beside. I should be more worried about that huge tank exploding than filling a 1lb bottle. No one is forcing anyone to fill 1lb bottles. You don't want to do it don't buy them. If you do you can save some money. Done

" one case in Texas don`t really mean much" :wallbash:

Probably means something to the guy who died yes!!!

well I am sure it does

but it doesn't prove anything and it's a poor argument IMO

if one ford pickup has it's brakes fail, should they warn and recall all fords for brake failure......no you feel bad for the guy, but the math say there is no known problem

well I am sure it does

if one ford pickup has it's brakes fail, should they warn and recall all fords for brake failure......no you feel bad for the guy, but the math say there is no known problem

Maybe not a Ford pickup, but the Government certainly would if it was a Toyota!

well I am sure it does

Well your argument is that it is wise to use an illegal product! Thats a good! :(

Well your argument is that it is wise to use an illegal product! Thats a good! :(

No my argument is as stated in some of my post is when asked some years ago I was told they are/were legal to refill but may not be legal to transport within canada.....so I have been filling them with no problem believing it was legal and knowing it is safe

I am not sure if they have their fact correct that it is illegal..we will see.....but my argument is/was and will be there is no proof/facts that it is unsafe and with 30 years of experience refilling them I know/feel they are safe.......

"is it wise", that would be a decision each person would have to make on their own ...was that my argument?...not even once did I say that...safe...yeah I said that and stand by it

your argument seems to be "I know you are but what am I"

Edited by Papa Smurf

Each to their own. I filled about 30 1Lbs. tanks this winter, not a problem. An odd one leaked, I think it was maybe a little dirt or something, I just pushed the valve with a sharp driver and it stopped it leaking..

But if your not comfortable, just buy.

I think the biggest reason for it being illegal to refill those little tanks, is simply because if you do, the government can't charge you more tax on it. If they could make a few bucks off you every time you refilled your little tank all would be good in their books. This is similar to many other things that are 'illegal' or that you need a license for...(boat operator card :whistling: comes to mind)

Guest gbfisher

:D

Here's a picture of me as a young boy...

Someone shoulda taken that knife away from you. You might have cut yourself or somebody else or or or... :rolleyes: Just Ban knives altogether eh!?!?! They’re dangerous don’t ya know.

On another note. Perchn was great today. :good:

Edited by gbfisher

Someone shoulda taken that knife away from you. You might have cut yourself or somebody else or or or... :rolleyes: Just Ban knives altogether eh!?!?! They’re dangerous don’t ya know.

On another note. Perchn was great today. :good:

Nope....just need to take a course and get your knife operator certificate... :blink:

I agree propane is safe as long as you respect the gas, filling tires with propane is stupid, just imagine an accident with a vehicle filled with propane tires. This is however is what we deal with on OFC, remember people you are dealing with this mine set, no freaking respect untill someone gets hurt or death.The government puts in alot of precautions to help us deal with idiots who have no respect for death or hurt to inocent others.Can anyone imagine getting into accident and finding out you lost your love ones because some idiot filled his tire with propane instead of air.The same thing goes with filling your 1lb cylinders at home the government does not want to deal with the fire ball or explosion that may happen, if a regulated technician is at fault so be it.The fact is the government knows how dangerous propane can be, so regulations are put in place, but we still have idiots filling there spare tires with it, I have a propane filling Licsence, have had one for 15yrs, my advice is respect the propane, learn alittle about the gas and then make you decsion

see this is the problem..people write with no knowledge or experience in what they are talking about

a tire filled with propane is not a fire hazard, I know you want it to be and I am sure you are one of the people who ran around saying the world would end when they heard people would try to use microwave ovens in their homes..

but the fact is a tire filled with propane has less chance of exploding then the cars gas tank or the propane tanks being carried in the truck....you can cry the sky is falling the sky is falling but if you had looked at the links I posted you would see they could get a tank to blowup shooting it,,the used tracer bullets to try to ignite it ...no luck.......

I take it you don't smoke..cause about 2000 times more dangerous then propane...but run forest run...you will get there

is that a piece of the sky on the ground over there......

see this is the problem..people write with no knowledge or experience in what they are talking about

a tire filled with propane is not a fire hazard, I know you want it to be and I am sure you are one of the people who ran around saying the world would end when they heard people would try to use microwave ovens in their homes..

but the fact is a tire filled with propane has less chance of exploding then the cars gas tank or the propane tanks being carried in the truck....you can cry the sky is falling the sky is falling but if you had looked at the links I posted you would see they could get a tank to blowup shooting it,,the used tracer bullets to try to ignite it ...no luck.......

I take it you don't smoke..cause about 2000 times more dangerous then propane...but run forest run...you will get there

is that a piece of the sky on the ground over there......

Dude I smoke, but get into accident with tires filled with propane and watch the fire ball......give me a break, your disrespect for your own safety puts others at risk,you may walk away from a accident but how about the others that got caught in the fire ball.You think it's OK, like most but dude your putting other peoples life in danger driving on propane filled tires, don't you get it smart'en up a tire&rim is not a safe propane storage area.Are you really that dense, think about it filling a tire with propane is just idiotic, I can't beleive I'm arguing about this, your a moron and this is why the government puts restrictions on propane, obviously they need to restrict it more! !!!

Dude I smoke, but get into accident with tires filled with propane and watch the fire ball......give me a break, your disrespect for your own safety puts others at risk,you may walk away from a accident but how about the others that got caught in the fire ball.You think it's OK, like most but dude your putting other peoples life in danger driving on propane filled tires, don't you get it smart'en up a tire&rim is not a safe propane storage area.Are you really that dense, think about it filling a tire with propane is just idiotic, I can't beleive I'm arguing about this, your a moron and this is why the government puts restrictions on propane, obviously they need to restrict it more! !!!

see you don't have any idea what you are talking about...you are making up a problem that just isn't there

it is less dangerous then the gas in your gas tank...and if it did burn it would burn for about 2.5 seconds and would do very little if any damage

there would not be enough force from the ignition of the propane to cause more damage to things around the crash site.....you are not talking about a bomb..

if a tire some how went off it might singe your hair but not much more and if the tire blew it would likely not catch fire and would do no more the a tire filled equally with air.......

you are inventing a problem that just isn't there

and you have killed far more people with second hand smoke then everyone in canada with refilled propane has

killed...

oh and people are not driving around with propane tires......one time in the middle of no where I got a flat and I filled it to get to a garage to get the tire repaired.........you are trying hard to make a big deal out of something you know nothing about ...the way you are talking about nothing about it at all

you are making things up that just are not true

Edited by Papa Smurf

see you don't have any idea what you are talking about...you are making up a problem that just isn't there

it is less dangerous then the gas in your gas tank...and if it did burn it would burn for about 2.5 seconds and would do very little if any damage

there would not be enough force from the ignition of the propane to cause more damage to things around the crash site.....you are not talking about a bomb..

if a tire some how went off it might singe your hair but not much more and if the tire blew it would likely not catch fire and would do no more the a tire filled equally with air.......

you are inventing a problem that just isn't there

and you have killed far more people with second hand smoke then everyone in canada with refilled propane has

killed...

oh and people are not driving around with propane tires......one time in the middle of no where I got a flat and I filled it to get to a garage to get the tire repaired.........you are trying hard to make a big deal out of something you know nothing about ...the way you are talking about nothing about it at all

you are making things up that just are not true

I don't care if you drive 3" on a propane filled tire, your an idiot for even doing it.Listen propane gas is a volatile substance, it's not somthing we should mess around with, one mistake can lead to an ugly outcome.

If you don't beleive me, take a propane refilling course,these people are great to work with and they will open your eyes about propane,trust me I learned alot about this volatile gas. I agree it's not dangerous if you and everyone treats it properyly,it becomes dangerous when idiots misuse it to fill tires and such

I don't care if you drive 3" on a propane filled tire, your an idiot for even doing it.Listen propane gas is a volatile substance, it's not somthing we should f$%k around with, one mistake can lead to an ugly outcome.

If you don't beleive me, take a propane refilling course,these people are great to work with and they will open your eyes about propane,trust me I learned alot about this volatile gas. I agree it's not dangerous if you and everyone treats it properyly,it becomes dangerous when idiots misuse it to fill tires and such

sorry but you are full of crap you have no idea what you are talking about.....I have taken the course..years ago...I have played with and test propane in many ways and I am telling you it is a lot harder to ignite then people think...and everything in the world is/can be dangerous. all you can do is weigh it against other things in your life......

and if you do the math you personally will kill 100 people with second hand smoke for every 1 person that I kill with propane in a tire..that's it you do the math..play the odds..

so who is the moron......

you can't smoke ...then get all high and mighty about less dangerous things..it makes you a moron