Lake Ontario Salmon fishing

Ricky Bobby

Hey all

Thanks for the great advice on my questions about batteries etc for the new boat. I am picking her up next weekend. Details as follows

1. Princecraft 198SC w/200 Verado & 9.9 kicker

2. 2 cannon electric riggers

3. Bought 2 HDS 7 GPS

4. Bought Fortrex Trolling motor

Questions

1. what rod reels do you all like for downriggers & dipsy divers (I am aware to get line counters)

2. line preferences?

3. planer board rods &

4 preferred baits for spring?

5 Trolling speeds

Again, I appreciate the help in advance

Guest gbfisher

Hey all

Thanks for the great advice on my questions about batteries etc for the new boat. I am picking her up next weekend. Details as follows

1. Princecraft 198SC w/200 Verado & 9.9 kicker

2. 2 cannon electric riggers

3. Bought 2 HDS 7 GPS

4. Bought Fortrex Trolling motor

Questions

1. what rod reels do you all like for downriggers & dipsy divers (I am aware to get line counters)

2. line preferences?

3. planer board rods &

4 preferred baits for spring?

5 Trolling speeds

Again, I appreciate the help in advance

You should go to SpoonPullers and read the basics. Your question would take days to answer. What you are asking is different for each person. Everyone has their favourite lure or bait they like to run and all for different reasons and I can almost guarantee they will not work for you...lol. It can be an expensive learning curve figuring out what works for you.

Edited by gbfisher

x 3 spoonpullers.com

I don't think the mods here would mind the reference to the spoonpuller site. It is unique to trolling for salmon/rainbow (sometimes a little discussion about walleye).

You can literally spend days on that site absorbing information.

I would also recommend a sub-troll if you are going to go hard core. I use a moor sub-troll.

Regards,

Slayer

Guest gbfisher

I have to agree, for Greatlakes salmon fishing there is a lot to learn. Spoonpullers will give you almost ;-) to much to read.

A Speed/temp unit is worth the money, get one.

Safe Fishing First,

Jack

lol... with the reply's so far yer up to 5 g's or more. :D

Sounds like a nice rig! I know you didn't ask but consider outfiting your rig with;

- track system for rod holders (Bert's, Cannon, Persuit)

- down speed/temp (Cannon, Depth Raider, Subtroll, Fish Hawk)

- kicker motor speed contol (Trollmaster, Troll King)

Reels:

Okuma Catalina and Shimano Tekota are about as slick as it gets.

Okuma Convector and Daiwa Sealines are good.

Okuma Magda, Daiwa Accudepth, Rapala, Rhino, Walker, Dam, Shakespeare etc. are likely to disappoint.

Rods:

Shimano Talora, really nice and lots of use-specific selection.

Shimano Triton TDR (for riggers, planer boards) and Daiwa Heartland (riggers, planer boards, dipsy)are great values.

Don't waste your time with anything cheaper than the TDR or Heartlands.

Convert a 9' Heartland rod into a roller tip wire dipsy rod with the Torpedo roller tip. Ultra slick.

Line:

50lb Suffix or Power Pro Braid (riggers, dipsy, planer boards)

30lb Trilene Big Game Mono (riggers and planer boards)

30lb Courtland Flea Flicker for the flea season (riggers)

30lb Torpedo 19 Strand Wire (dipsy)

30lb Cortland Kerplunk Leadcore (long lining on a soft rigger rod)

Spring baits:

Lymans, J-plugs, NK size spoons and smaller, jointed rapalas.

Trolling speeds:

1.5 - 2.5, lots of turning to cover water and intice lazy fish

Edited by SlowPoke

One overlooked rod these days is the fenwick riggerstik twist guides. I've been running these for 20 years and just love them. Not sure who still sells these. Spring baits for me are a lot of minnow baits - 4". Renosky's and rapalas, storm. I have older Abu 7000 and have been looking at the rapala hydros this year. Very good reviews.

Edited by Fang

One overlooked rod these days is the fenwick riggerstik twist guides. I've been running these for 20 years and just love them. Not sure who still sells these. Spring baits for me are a lot of minnow baits - 4". Renosky's and rapalas, storm. I have older Abu 7000 and have been looking at the rapala hydros this year. Very good reviews.

I have a gaggle of those rods too and have also been using them for about the same amount of time. :clapping::clapping:

The old Fenwick Riggersticks of the 80's were not a special blank designed for that use , they were simply fibreglass Fenwick/Woodstream 9 foot 10 wt fly rod blanks tied up as a downrigger rod, still got a couple I put together with the twist guides. Also went lighter with a 9 foot 8 wt blank for spring fishing and have 9 foot 12 weight tied up as well, that was a higher modulus Fenglass blank, think they were marketed for a short time as the " Kingstalker " model. Bet if you laid your hands on some fibreglass flyrod blanks of current manufacture you would have something very similar to those old sticks.

Sounds like a nice rig! I know you didn't ask but consider outfiting your rig with;

- track system for rod holders (Bert's, Cannon, Persuit)

- down speed/temp (Cannon, Depth Raider, Subtroll, Fish Hawk)

- kicker motor speed contol (Trollmaster, Troll King)

Reels:

Okuma Catalina and Shimano Tekota are about as slick as it gets.

Okuma Convector and Daiwa Sealines are good.

Okuma Magda, Daiwa Accudepth, Rapala, Rhino, Walker, Dam, Shakespeare etc. are likely to disappoint.

Rods:

Shimano Talora, really nice and lots of use-specific selection.

Shimano Triton TDR (for riggers, planer boards) and Daiwa Heartland (riggers, planer boards, dipsy)are great values.

Don't waste your time with anything cheaper than the TDR or Heartlands.

Convert a 9' Heartland rod into a roller tip wire dipsy rod with the Torpedo roller tip. Ultra slick.

Line:

50lb Suffix or Power Pro Braid (riggers, dipsy, planer boards)

30lb Trilene Big Game Mono (riggers and planer boards)

30lb Courtland Flea Flicker for the flea season (riggers)

30lb Torpedo 19 Strand Wire (dipsy)

30lb Cortland Kerplunk Leadcore (long lining on a soft rigger rod)

Spring baits:

Lymans, J-plugs, NK size spoons and smaller, jointed rapalas.

Trolling speeds:

1.5 - 2.5, lots of turning to cover water and intice lazy fish

some great info there for sure

where abouts are you located? one of the best ways to shorten the learning curve besides researching other trolling specific websites is to hook up with other anglers and "apprentice" a couple times and feel things out before you go at it in your own boat

Thanks! The boat had the smartcraft gauges with throttle control, and the 9.9 also has a sep throttle setup.

I am getting 2 of the dekota reels, and have 2 of the cheap okumas, which i likely will just burn up before replacing them.

Boat also has a 36 inch cannon track on each side

that spoonpuller site gave me a headache

Guest gbfisher

Thanks! The boat had the smartcraft gauges with throttle control, and the 9.9 also has a sep throttle setup.

I am getting 2 of the dekota reels, and have 2 of the cheap okumas, which i likely will just burn up before replacing them.

Boat also has a 36 inch cannon track on each side

that spoonpuller site gave me a headache

Learning will do that and so will Salmon fishing. :D It's still fun learning though.