Baitcaster for steelhead float fishing

shaker

I'm relatively new to steelhead river float fishing.

I bought a noodle rod last year and have been using it with a spinning reel.

Would I be better off using my baitcaster reel?

I realize a centre pin reel would probably be best, but want to try to make do with what I already own.

It would work on big water with more current as far as that goes but if your not into it for a float reel right away a spinning reel would do a better job ,all pending on who you talk too. It boils down to personal preference..

In the old days ( way before float reels) I used to use a fly reel with 6lb mono and left it on the 'clicker' (I found the drag more reliable than the old spinning reels and liked the direct contact with the fish ... since Diawa came out with the whisker 1300 (just a beautiful drag system) spinning set up that has been my go to choice ... but I can't honestly say I have ever seen anyone with a baitcaster set up on a noodle rod ... I would think the balance would just be all wrong.

Hmmm...

I'd say completely master a spinning reel then move on to either a bastcasting set-up or a pin. Learn the basics of manipulating your float with a spinning reel and gain some confidence before you start pinning/baitcasting. I found it nice that I already knew where fish were when I started out with a centerpin. I wasnt dealing with learning how to read water and how to pin all at once....

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Baitcasting gear equals big water and lots of weight, I fish an 11'.6" baitcasting outfit rigged with a slip float just for a change sometimes and do alright but you really need a good current to help your drifts.

Still a ton of fun, and a nice change from the pin somedays.

There's an old guy down at the 'Geen that uses a setup like this and he lays a beating on fish. Of course he is reaching the seams waaaay out of reach of anyone else. Everytime I'm there I see him if I'm fishing around the trailer park. Always in the same place, lol...

I love floatfishing with a baitcaster. I have used the following reels daiwa steez, Calcutta DC and lately a shimano curadoE5. Most Important is using the correct rod. I can cast a 4 gram float father than my centerpin setup

I used to use a Daiwa Millionaire CVZ and a 1263 Loomis baitcast float rod set up with a twist. Sold it to a buddy and he broke it :wallbash: . It was a little too stout for Ontario bows but perfect for salmon.The CVZ is the best baitcaster for this technique because the line guide is similar to an old Abu Garcia C series. The bars don't ice up as badly as the small line guide on Shimanos and most other baitcasters. I could really get the cast out there which is helpful at the Niagara. The ideal setup for rainbows in my opinion would be a Loomis 1261 or 1262 and the CVZ. Hard to find here in the east but common out west.

One thing you have to remember also is your noodle rod is designed for a spinning/float reel not a BC and won't have the proper bend while fighting a fish ,I tried it and on my 10'6" rod the line was touching the blank in several places and it looked horrible .If you had the right rod it would definately work in fast flows like the others have mentioned I have seen it on that BC outdoors show a few times looks fun.

i used this set up when i started for steelhead. My set up is the same as what i use on my pin and i used to set the baitcaster to the min. adjustment that i can get away with for the casting, and it worked well even in slack water, of course you gotta watch out for the birds nest, that's why i have my thumb just aboce the spool almost all the time. Worked out, like tyler said it would be best if you are not learning too many things at one time.

I used an abu legend btw.

Heavy shot patterns or weighted floats are a key to long casts with baitcasters and pins. Drennan Pikers and huge Thill balsa floats do the job but the best float of all is the handle from an aquarium net. Just remove the handle from the net (Duhhh) paint the top orange or red so you can see it wayyyyyy down drift and Bobs your uncle. The key is that the handle is heavy in it's own right but it's made of hi float foam so even with pencil lead it will float. This allows you to get out and down at places, like the Whirlpool, where the big sivler fish are out 30-40 yards and down 25 feet, near bottom.

Sure, why not. dunno.gif

I've tossed a 4 gram on my Calcutta Mike and when we were out on the "Geen" I was tossing a 5 gram with no issues.

No reason at all.

Just seems surprising that a 4 gram float could be thrown further with a baitcaster thats all.

No reason at all.

Just seems surprising that a 4 gram float could be thrown further with a baitcaster thats all.

With a CP it depends on the caster and his style I would think.

But IMHO a 5 gram is about as light as I'd want to be fishing with a bait caster.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll follow TDunn's recommendation and try to master the spinning reel, and learn how to read the water etc.

Reading all the comments though, got me thinking of another question...my baitcaster rod is a 7'2" telescopic Shimano, it says line weight 12-25lb, lure weight 3/8-1oz. Would it be ok for steelhead float fishing, or is it not suited for that?

Thanks all!