My Buddy Caught a Giant Wiper on Lake Ontario!

I think i know where that fish was caught and have fished there very often over the years.

You have to launch a small tinny off a beach to get there at best time when all launches are frozen over.

Over the years have caught everything there mid- winter, atlantics, chinook, rainbows, pike, largies, smallies,

walleye, all the coarse species but mainly browns and white bass.Have even seen a 30 lb musky caught there. The white bass are like this one Dude caught.IMG_0012-4.jpg

A wiper of that size being caught in L.Ontario freaks me out.

Never heard of striped bass in the lake where did this come from?

I have to get past my disability and get out there next winter.

WOW! Thanks for post.

Hey Bob, my buddy did find out about that Ontario record from the DR. What a beast. He was disappointed when he heard, but his fish is still a great fish and very rare. Thanks for the info, I only knew about the record, I wasn't aware that other wipers were caught in the Detroit River. Bob, do you know how prevalent wipers are on the DR? Did Michigan stock wipers on the DR or a connecting watershed?

As for your question Egh, I have no idea! I didn't know wipers even existed in the Great lakes until now. I would like to know more about the Detroit wipers myself if several have been caught in the DR.

I know the white bass population on the Great Lakes is prevalent, but haven't heard of wipers until my buddy's catch. I was speaking with Marc Thorpe the past couple days, and he informed me that stripers have been re-introduced into the St.Lawrence River the past 5 years and are protected in the St.Lawrence. It's possible that a stray striper got into Lake O and got it's freak on with a white bass? In Marc's words, it could have been interracial sex hahaha. Got that this morning, thanks for that one Marc, still laughing :D

Another possibility is that a wiper migrated from the Detroit River? I don't know how prevalent wipers are in the DR? One thing I do know, is that wipers are very rare in Lake Ontario. If I had caught that beast, I would have thought it was a white bass as well. A striper or wiper would not have even been a thought.. until now!