Trolling Motor Batteries

Ricky Bobby

hey All. Picking up my new boat in a couple of short weeks (shake n bake!) and I will need to replace the trolling motor batteries. I have used energizers in the past, as well as the blue topped ones from Canadian Tire (no clue on the name)

Anyone have any other preferred batteries they use? I have an onboard charger in the boat already, so just the batteries get changed out.

Shake n bake!

Walmart & Costco have them as well as most battery suppliers.

They're expensive at $200+ each reg. price.

I'll give a nod to the CTEK charger as well. Even if you have an onboard charger, the CTEK is recommended by Optima and can be had for $80 full price at Canadian Tire. CTEK also sells attachments that can make it as convenient as an onboard charger.

Where does one get the optima batteries?

I don't know where you reside but Optima batteries are VERY expensive even down here at Sam's Club....PLUS you need a special charger to properly maintain them. They run about $150 to $180 compared to $69 for standard batteries (Sam's Club)...some guys swear by them, others swear at them because they claim no better then a standard battery at twice the price.

Bob

i just bought an energizer battery for my truck last friday at walmart.

the manufactered sticker on it was 01/11. :dunno:

Just looked yesterday and my local walmart had no energizer at all only everstart they were at the Toronto show mabye your wallyworld still has a few left pretty sure they are just re-labelling them the look exactly the same other than the labels anyone know the whole story gonna google it right now .

Everstart is a private label. There are only a few battery manufacturers the other names you see on them are private labeling. Walleye 1 for example is a label by Crown Batteries of Ohio.

I have had good luck with most batteries, the only battery I had that failed was a BPS branded battery.

Current batteries being used are Deka Marine master for starting and Interstate Mega Tron`s for trolling and they both perform flawlessly.

Edited by lookinforwalleye

The Walleye batteries are great, price wise they're $120-$160 ish range, but they are worth the money for a battery with longevity.

I personally bought a costco house brand (Kirkland) deep cycle for my trolling motor for like $80 all in, and it seems to hold a charge well, and have never drained it fully after a couple days out on the water. If you are looking for a good economical battery, check this may be a good option.

I also have a energizer deep cycle battery I bought at Walmart, and it's a great battery for the price as well, when they came out a couple years ago they were like $70 for a 800 amp size I believe.

1. Like it mentioned above there are only a handful of companies that physically make the battery, they are just sold with different stickers on them. 2. Optima batteries are way overated, check the actual capacity vs. size. vs price and you will see. 3. Go to a place like Total Battery that sells a lot of batteries otherwise you end up with old stock. Batteries that sit around for more than 3 months without a maintenance charge even if brand new start to sulfate. Do a google search on it. CTEK chargers are very good for off season maintenace charging, however, the smaller ones can't recharge a big battery very effectively.

As already mentioned most batteries are a like with only the price being the big difference (assuming size to size and spec to spec)....If you intend on doing a lot of traveling with the boat then get a battery that is available throughout your fishing range in case it fails under warranty. Also always keep the battery receipt with the boat.

Bob

I've used the energizer & Trojans. A couple years ago, was told aboput Total Battery, boith the name of the store, and the battery. Bought one, and will not buy anything else again. Compare them, you'll be glad you did. 16.5 lund, 46 lb minn kota, troll for walleye, using 4-7 power, and can troll for 6-7 non stop hours, and still have plenty of juice. My brother 21' nitro, 65 lb thrust 24 v system, can't kill the batteries in a day of tournament fishing.

Crown Battery Makes the Walleye 1 Battery, although it's under a different brand name now

Crown Battery

If you live in the Toronto or Montreal area check them out, they are a great TM battery, I've got a pair (24V 48# TM) 4 years old and they still last a full week at the cottage

CTEK is an amzazing charger for the price, especially if you cach them on sale at CTC for 40% off

jjcanoe