VHF radio?

moosehead

Looking to get a radio for my boat this year, boat is 16.5' lund so space is at premium would i be ok with a handheld or should i be looking at a fixed mount?

What is good? What are you guys running?

Also would be looking for a place to take the certification course near St.Catharines

Looking to get a radio for my boat this year, boat is 16.5' lund so space is at premium would i be ok with a handheld or should i be looking at a fixed mount?

What is good? What are you guys running?

Also would be looking for a place to take the certification course near St.Catharines

Go with a fixed mount as they have much more power.

Handhelds are generally 6 watt max output while a fixed mount is 25.

If you're looking for a compact fixed mount get yourself an Icom IC-M304.

It's the smallest I've seen and fits nicely in smaller boats.

Here's a couple of shots of the one in my 18 footer. wink2.gif

front.jpg

new.jpg

reverse.jpg

I went with the Uniden Solara and it works fine for me. I have a knockout on the dash so installation was a breeze but they also come with a bracket if you want to mount it elsewhere on the boat.

I have side rails on my boat which made a good place to mount the Shakespeare antenna.

I took my course & exam last fall thru the Peterboro Power Squadron and it was very interesting. They supplied books & a video a month before hand which gives you lotsa time to study, then we all met on a Saturday morning where they go over everything for a couple hours, then you write a multiple choice exam.

Cost for the books, video, refresher course and exam was, if I remember correctly, $85

Cnv0610.jpg

The only thing I can add is that pretty much all radios have to pass a minimum standard, some add a we bit more to keep the innards dry, some have a few more features such as multiple channel scanning etc. But, the most important item when trying to "go the distance" with a transmitter is the antenna, you go cheap, you may as well prop up a limp noodle. If at all possible, go wit the 8'. I've got a 16' Princecraft, I use an 8' that has the lay down mount on the rear corner, when traveling, it lays down along side the gunnel with a small bungey to keep it secure.

Yup

OH, OK......crash course.....knob on the left turns on the radio and also controls the volume. The funny looking thing that has a curly wire is call the mic...push the button on the mic and talk into it....when done talking release the button and listen...don't talk when you hear someone else talking.....that will be $69.95 or $75.00 in US dollars.....thx.gif...Please tell a friend about us.... :rofl2::whistling:

OH, OK......crash course.....knob on the left turns on the radio and also controls the volume. The funny looking thing that has a curly wire is call the mic...push the button on the mic and talk into it....when done talking release the button and listen...don't talk when you hear someone else talking.....that will be $69.95 or $75.00 in US dollars.....thx.gif...Please tell a friend about us.... rofl2.gifwhistling.gif

is that the one that you have to talk weird like ..take care we care, keep you nose between the ditches and the bears outta yer britches... or keep the shiny side up, and the greasey side down 10-4.

wink.gif

Whenever I watch TV and they have someone on the radio that doesn't know how to use it I always thought that was a screw up by the TV producers. Thanks to Bob I now know that most Americans don't know how to use their radio properly and the TV guys got it right.

Thanks Bob for clearing that up.

Whenever I watch TV and they have someone on the radio that doesn't know how to use it I always thought that was a screw up by the TV producers. Thanks to Bob I now know that most Americans don't know how to use their radio properly and the TV guys got it right.

Thanks Bob for clearing that up.

No Problem.....I also like to watch TV about talking on a radio.... :rofl2::sarcasm:

Good, Better, Best in a Marine VHF Antenna

The best will have a polished high-grade stainless steel ferrule, soldered internal connections using high quality material like silver plated brass, a well-built fiberglass exterior with an aircraft-grade finish, and be foam-filled to isolate signal radiators from vibration and moisture intrusion. You will most often see these antennas installed on expensive sportfishing boats and yachts.

A more moderately priced unit will still have silver plated brass elements, but instead of soldered connections they will probably be crimped, foam filling will give way to foam spacers, while the ferrule and fiberglass will be slightly lower grade. These are the antennas most of use should be using on our recreational boats.

The least expensive marine VHF antennas will have a non-metallic ferrule, crimped internal connections using lower grade materials, and a less robust fiberglass housing.

i was wondering what is the fine for using a vhf radio.

I have been checked twice on lake huron and not one did they ask for that.. They do ask for the saftey stuff and this year i was asked for my operator card but never said anythign about the vhf.

Thanks

Strik

i was wondering what is the fine for using a vhf radio.

I have been checked twice on lake huron and not one did they ask for that.. They do ask for the saftey stuff and this year i was asked for my operator card but never said anythign about the vhf.

Thanks

Strik

I do not know the fine but it is a grey area, unless they actually see you talking on it, you could just be monitoring the weather reports.

As well, if you need to use it to call for help, you are probably not that concerned about a fine.

When I was thinking about installing a radio in my boat last year I also asked about the fine for not having the license and heard everything from $25-$200

Some said not to worry about it but I decided the course could be a good thing and who knows, maybe I'd even learn something so I went ahead and took it and payed my money.

At least now I can go ahead and use it whenever I want and don't have to be looking over my shoulder or worrying about getting checked by the police.

It may never happen, but if it ever does, I'm good :thumbsup_anim:

Good Morning

For the course call your local power boat squadron or call The Coast Guard Station

Whatever radio you buy, you would be wise to have a DSC radio and register the MMSI number(Maritime Mobile Service Identity)

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/eng/CCG/MCTS_Mmsi

Like lew said you need to do a course.

The radio I use and it stays attached to me at all times on the water is a Standard Horizon HX850S it floats is water proof has excellent range a GPS and DSC. I also have a standard horizon fixed unit in the boat that i have tied to the chartplotter with the same capabilities (this is good assuming I dont fall out of the boat or lose power)hand held backup I fish alone quite a bit

MMSI and DSC in a nut shell if you hit the panic button the GPS will lock your position and send an emergency alert this will be packaged with your Lat and Long and MMSI# which has some very specific information about you your boat emergency contacts and and most important your position.YOU ARE A VERY SMALL SPEC ON A LARGE BODY OF WATER worse when its rough an exact point in the water is very usful to others if needed. Is this a smart choice I truly believe it is the service is in place its free and TIME COUNTS!!

Good Luck with you quest :thumbsup_anim:

Peter

Biteme.esq said "Whatever radio you buy, you would be wise to have a DSC radio and register the MMSI number(Maritime Mobile Service Identity)"

I concur 100% - get the DSC and hook it to your GPS - if there is trouble you want everything in your favour, hopefully you'll never have to use it.

David aka Superdad