Ever see a snow tornado ??

lew

Like probably everywhere else in Ontario, it's very windy here and we just had a heavy snow flurry go thru.

I happened to be looking out the patio doors to the back yard watching the world go by and saw a mini tornado about 15 feet high made outta snow travel across the area.

It wasn't just blowing snow, but and actual mini tornado that lasted about 10 seconds as it crossed the yard......pretty kool stuff :thumbsup_anim:

Never saw one before so I Googled it and it seems there not really that unusual.

I see them with regularity. By that, I don't mean all the time but it's almost predictable with a strong east wind (60K+) in the same location near our terminal in Buffalo. I'm betting it won't be the last one you see in that area, when the conditions are right.

I tried to photograph it once but it just looked like a nice snowy field. LOL

Back in 1983 my bride and I with her parents went through a tornado at the cottage I built at Chautauqua Lake......here is what happened as I described it to someone else in a PM earlier.

LONG story but I built a cottage near Chautauqua Lake....it took me 4 years to build it as it was 75 miles away on 2.5 acres of farm land but only 2 miles or less to Long Point State Park boat launch on Chautauqua Lake (great hunting and fishing). I had a built in the hill basement/garage with a 24'X 28' cottage on top of that.

My bride was 8.5 months pregnant with my oldest son and we were spending a long weekend with my in-laws when on May 2nd 1983 a tornado hit while we were in the cottage. It lifted it up and set it back down kitty corner on the foundation. If we had walked out the front door we would of fell 8 feet down but lucky after it was over we went out the back door that had step nailed to the house. Didn't know the house moved until we got outside...did THOUSANDS of dollars of damage to my cottage, my car and my father in-laws car but spared the boat that was in the basement...also completely destroyed my 15' travel trailer I stayed in while building my dream cottage.

Went it was certain it was going to hit us we put my wife in a corner of the house directly across from the large front window and covered her up with our bodies...only injury was to my father in-law and myself but they were only minor cuts probably from glass. We were pinned against a metal cupboard that we had can and dry goods in. It suck that out of the house without us realizing it. It also suck out the Anderson sliding glass door and FRAME WORK with all the kitchen furniture.

Across the street about 500 feet down the road from where the tornado came from was a HUGE OLD barn...that blew up and all that wood was hitting my cottage...a piece of wood about 4" square came right through the wall in the front bedroom and stuck in the wall like a harpoon and moved the bed about a 1'....another large beam about 2.5" x 10" x 20' long hit the poured concrete foundation near a window opening and broke the 8" of concrete and landed in the basement but did not hit the boat or my riding lawn mower that I stored down there.

My family and many friends said we should call our first born Gale....LOL

Bob

This past summer a firend and I were fishing on a river up near Wawa. We heard something coming through the bush. We stopped talking and a mini twister came off the bank, cut right between us, and went across the river. Kicked the water up about a foot. Freaky. We nailed several hos and bows in that pool: now called the Tornado Pool.