Need your opinions..

Muskieman

I was pulled over in early December by an Officer on a power trip accusing me of being on a cell phone.. which I wasn't.. I don't own a cell phone.

He's a guy my age that I played football in school with.

*** Officers name has been changed***

When I got pulled over .. I rolled down my window and said

" Eh, Mike " he said " If you see me having a beer in town on Friday or Saturday night you can call me Mike.. but today you're gonna call me Constable Davis"

I asked him why he pulled me over and he said

"You were on the Phone"... I denied it and gave him consent to check my car... he did ...While huffing and puffing he checked the glove box and the console storage.... no phone to be found.

He had witnessed me putting a pen in my hat.

He then said "Randy, you can leave now"

I said ... Constable Davis.. "If you see me in town on Friday or Saturday night having a beer you can call me Randy .. but today you're gonna call me Mr.Kirkwood" he chuckled used a few choice words and went back to his cruiser.

His boss, is a GREAT friend of mine and an Ex Employer.. I told him all about it.. Cnst Davis was taken aside at work and reprimanded for being an asshat.gif . It got around the office and his peers are razzing him... most of his peers are good friends of mine too.

Now... I was out last Saturday and so was he Cnst Davis.

He was being really loud and throwing me insults.. I shrugged it off.. and left for another establishment... not long after he showed up at the same place.. still being an arrogant asshat.gif .

I was playing pool with another friend and

Cnst Davis..Intentionally stepped on my foot and hit my cue just before I took a shot and made me scratch... I know that he's looking for a physical confrontation... I also know that I can take this guy if ever it would happen.

And to top it all off he pulled my wife over today and tried to find something to charge her with ... from inspecting the truck and delaying her lunch hour by 25 minutes before letting her go without an apology or a fine.

He's driven by my house 6 times within the past 2 hours.

My question ... is he always on duty? and if he is and I'm pretty sure that I'd win the battle... what would be my charge and what would be his.

I tried getting hold of his boss today ... but he's in Florida

Randy

canadian.gif

hold off on doing anything stupid...when his boss comes back from holidays >>file a formal complaint against him as a member of the PD and a restraining order against him as a civilian...

if you think it will help....next time you see him as "Mike" ask him whats up his ass and if you can give him a hand replacing it with your foot :whistling:

Document, document, and document some more....If it comes down to you against him in court,without documentation you lose, and you won't be able to hold your job anymore.

That documentation can get him transferred - I assume he is OPP, then your problem is gone. If he is a townie, then you may have to go after his job. Sounds like one of the type of cops we don't like.

In a fight, he who yells first loses.

This guy obviously has a grudge against you. Getting in a fight with a cop is never a good idea. Although you are friends with his boss and with some of his co-workers, there are probably other people he works with who don't know you, or may have it in for you as well. You could document everything that happened to you and your wife, and record when you see him drive by your house. Find a place to talk to him and tell him you have everything documented, and if he doesn't lay off you'll file a formal complaint.

I say shoot him and let GOD sort it out

ok kidding

I say report him again

if he is doing it to you he is doing to others who don't have a friend on the police force..

and you will be doing your community a favor getting rid of a bad cop....

he is a sworn police officer - police powers on and off duty. and on or off duty, he has a cell phone and more friends than you do.

an interesting article is here considering on or off duty conduct

http://www.llbc.leg.bc.ca/public/pubdocs/bcdocs/341409/ceyssens.pdf

and an excerpt is here.

"The test in policing is not dissimilar. Courts of law and tribunals have consistently ruled that the police

complaint process captures off duty conduct, so long as a nexus exists between the impugned off duty

conduct and either public respect for the constabulary or the fitness of the police officer to hold the

office of constable."

if you really beleive he is "out ta get ya".

avoid at all costs. get hold of unit commander or equivalent or professional standards branch. they might tell ya to get lost, or not, but at least you have a record of your complaint.

hopefully it just blows over. you're not going to win, if you know what i'm saying. but officers have codes of professional conduct too. this situation has lose lose lose written all over it. a good time to be the bigger man and stay out of it.

good luck with your problem!

He's always on duty, but I gotta ask, why even mention it to his boss in the first place? If he was laughing after the fact, you probably should have to and left it at that.

he chuckled in a sinister way, swearing with attitude before getting into his cruiser....

I was at his bosses place over the holidays having a few beers and his name came up .. so I mentioned the incident.. He's a new member of our municipal force and not well liked at all , even in high school he was an arrogant butthead.. and still is.

When he stepped on your foot, that in the eyes of the law is considered assault.

You then had the right to defend yourself!

like what has already been said:

file a formal complaint.

document every thing with times as-well

assault X 1

harassment X 3

Sounds like there's some untold/unknown history, like the house on fire - shot thread.

All I can see is that in high school ,I was a better football player

and could out-bench press him by about 100Lbs... we never really butted heads or hung around together .. we have a lot of mutual friends... Everyone that knows him say that his new position has gone to his head.

Take the higher ground Randy, don't do anything you'll regret.

If the harrassment continues file a formal complaint. If it persists after that contact the local media.

If this officer is smart he'll let it go otherwise he'll most likely be unemployed.

Exactly my thoughts, and a cheap security camera and a vcr wouldnt hurt either.whistling.gif

I spent 75$ on the camera and it saved me 500$ in parking violations.A neighbour really hated us, being a home renter at the time in the area.

FYI, not to bump the thread in any means, A little birdy told me that a ticket left on your vehicle, with hand written #s and letters at the top of it, Is a called in violation,by whom ever.And double check that the ticket is fully filled out.If not they cant process it legally.

When I pick up my kids from my Ex, I'm usually alone. I have a voice activated recorder that records everything and it sits in my front shirt pocket. I minimize saying anything to my Ex as she is very good at putting on a performance and fudging the truth when she wants to. On one occasion I was accused of bad mouthing her/verbal abuse and her lawyer sent me a very strong letter. I downloaded the brief conversation that we had that day(I'm always polite and tolerent) and burned it onto a Cd. Sent the CD as evidence to her lawyer. I got a wriitten apology from my Ex and the lawyer. She says nothing now when we exchange the kids. Case closed.

The point is that you may have to go to these types of extremes to protect yourself. It is not against the law for you to record your own conversation. So instead of "he said.....I said...", you have hard evidence should you ever need it. Documentation is good too, but nothing beats pictures a, video and/or audio.

This is harassment that you are getting. I live in a small town too and we have had a few Officers that have tried similar stuff to what you are describing. With a little effort and written complaints with some HARD evidence, these guys moved back to Toronto.

As long as you are not breaking any law you are allowed to have the peace of mind that everyone has a right to expect. Check the Canadian Bill of rights.

If driving by your house 6 times a day is bothering you, I'd take apicture with a time stamp on it. Colect as much evidence as you can then file a complaint. If it escalates and you go to court you have atone of evidence. Keep two copies of everything just incase.

muddler

This is why sometimes I hate cops, abusing the law... over powering innocent people... I think he hated you back in a days and the time come you meet again... Now his trying to used the law by twisting it for his favor... I hope hi got fired... get what he deserved!

like everyone said file a complaint... document everything... good luck Randy.. God Bless

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

"violence is the last refuge of the imcompetent"

i've dealt with bad cops before as well and there is no way for you to win but to deal with their superiors. you can file a formal complaint at any time and they must conduct an investigation. they will likely look out for the guy and nothing will come publically of it, but behind close doors he'll get it.

he may find himself doing paperwork for the next 6 months.

Personally Randy, i think this will all blow over with time. Considering you said he was an old highschool friend and you know all of his coworkers, it sounds like a situation of hurt male ego. Give it a couple of weeks, then talk to him and let him know how you feel,heart to heart.He surely knows better than to ruin his carreer over something so petty.

Paul

every police officer would know this....

As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality, and justice. I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities. I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession. . . law enforcement. (Dantzker et al, 2003)

better get a fire extinguisher Randy and a few notebook pc's with web cam's that you can save the data off-site too. before you talk to his boss again, make sure you have footage of his actions.

anyone he works with at the bar (or bars) that night he was causing you problems?

every police officer would know this....

As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality, and justice. I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities. I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession. . . law enforcement. (Dantzker et al, 2003)

every police officer MAY know this.... but to live by it ..yeah right......................

Qutie honestly if he was just mildly harassing me or if maybe the incident was still fresh and that night at the bar he was drunk I would probably let it go. To me the line is messing with my family. Having pulled your wife over for no reason and harassing her I would certainly say bring it to the attention of his superiors. More formally this time. And like others have said document every single last thing and if you can get some hard evidence. They won't be able to just ignore it and if you aren't satisfied with the result then go to the media.

Whatever you decide to do I hope it works out for you and he gets what he deserves.