Question about border/taxes

limeyangler

Hi all,

Just wondering.....is there a $ threshold for paying taxes at the border when you buy something online and it is shipped from the states?

I bought some items....total $15. Its taken 3 weeks and still no parcel. I paid $20 shipping. I did hear something about UPS holding things up, something about 'brokerage'.....but am unsure what is happening.

Any ideas?

I have had some e-mails from the supplier(fishing related), but to be honest was a bit peed off with the latest reply, i wont go into it yet about what they are saying before i can get an idea of why the hold up might be happening.

I have paid way less shipping on much more expensive items on ebay and regular retail outlets from the U.S. and had it arrive within the week.....so i'm thinking its something to do with it not being sent by USPS and getting dinged by either UPS'brokerage' fees or the freekin' government wanting another slice of my ever diminishing pie....or both.

Whaddaya think folks?

Edited by limeyangler

I bought some items....total $15. Its taken 3 weeks and still no parcel. I paid $20 shipping. I did hear something about UPS holding things up, something about 'brokerage'.....but am unsure what is happening.

Any ideas?

If they're coming UPS, you should be able to get a tracking number from the sender then go to www.ups.com enter it on the tracking page and find out exactly what is happening. I've watched things get scanned upon arrival in Canada, get shipped back across the border for brokerage, then back to Canada, then go back again... :dunno:

UPS charges a fortune for brokerage fees and chances are it isn't included in that $20.00 shipping charge you already spent, and you'll get charged the additional brokerage fee C.O.D. upon delivery. Like fishgreg said, use USPS if your supplier offers the choice.

Im my experience shipping with UPS or fedex is a mistake. Always go with the USPS.

Thanks for the quick reply Fishgreg....what are your experiences with ups and fedex...why is it not good to ship with them...if i can find out i can tell the retailer to use usps as they are saying its "our government i should blame" as this is happening 'with everything they send to Canada"

Edited by limeyangler

I just ordered a $24.99 item from BassPro , buy the time it was said and done with duty , taxes border fees handle fees, it cost me near $80 through Fed EX , but i needed the item in a hurry so i had no choice !

Good Luck !!

Always USPS from the states !

Edited by Wiser

Fedex only charges a $10 brokerage/handling fee + tax collection. USPS is $5 + tax collection.. UPS is a rolette wheel.. pick a number.. any number.. could be $70+ !

There is no duty if the product is made in the USA or Mexico... rarely do they catch anything as "offshore" shipping from the US that is made offshore.. and the only time duty is applied.. Usually under 7% if it happens.

I ordered some stuff from BPS.Took 3 weeks, cost 36 bucks shipping and found the same thing later in the le baron catalogue for 20 bucks cheaper. BPS is good, if you can go to a store, other than that, forget about it.Most companies make lots of prophet from shipping overcharges.

I just ordered a $24.99 item from BassPro , buy the time it was said and done with duty , taxes border fees handle fees, it cost me near $80 through Fed EX , but i needed the item in a hurry so i had no choice !

Good Luck !!

Always USPS from the states !

So if this is the case here....and i dont necessarily need this item...what are my "choices".....?

Do i just cut my losses and let them keep it and lose $37 instead of paying $80+ for $15 worth of goods?

Who the hell can i complain to about this? This is outrageous if its the case.

I make a note never to order anything from the States if it is shipped by UPS. Some places will ship USPS if you ask, some will not.

I did ask UPS once what their brokerage charges were and it is a percentage of what the cost of the item is, plus a standard fee, plus taxes etc. It is outrageous and I've been dinged a few times. Learned my lesson the hard way.

When it arrives (it will eventually Simon) just pay the stupid fee and never have anything shipped UPS again.

Joey

If it's UPS Simon.. they're probably waiting for you to call them and give them a Credit card number to cover the brokerage and tax collection. Do you have at tracking number???

No Wayne i dont have the number..i have to contact the retailer and find out who they have used.

Thanks for the info/advice. :thumbsup_anim:

I make a note never to order anything from the States if it is shipped by UPS. Some places will ship USPS if you ask, some will not.

I did ask UPS once what their brokerage charges were and it is a percentage of what the cost of the item is, plus a standard fee, plus taxes etc. It is outrageous and I've been dinged a few times. Learned my lesson the hard way.

When it arrives (it will eventually Simon) just pay the stupid fee and never have anything shipped UPS again.

Joey

Thanks Joey, yeah might just do that. Sucks...but whaddaya gonna do right?

I find it interesting though that the retailer sends me an email saying that all the stuff they send to Canada gets held up, yet has no explanation for the hold up or info about who is shipping and/or extra charges customers may be liable for.

Not right if ya ask me.

Edited by limeyangler

another thing to factor in here is, alot of ontario parcels coming from the Us will actually be shipped to a port, like BC first. When that happens it usually adds a few weeks to the delivery. However, if a parcel is brokered, that shouldnt be the case at all.

limey, if you ever really need something in a pinch from the states, hit me up. I was born in international falls MN and have a mailbox on that side. Shipping usually only takes 2-3 days that way, then another day from Fort Frances to Dryden

Hi all,

Just wondering.....is there a $ threshold for paying taxes at the border when you buy something online and it is shipped from the states?

It seems $40 is the magic number for taxes. USPS will generally ship to your door with no fees regardless of who the package is from or how the form is completed. UPS will arrive to the door free if the shipper selects 'gift' when filling out the packing slip.

Usually when shipping to Canada from the United States, UPS shipping will initially be cheaper. When it gets to your door they add on the brokerage fees and applicible taxes/duties. With USPS, you pay a higher fee upfront but that includes a standard brokerage fee... I thought it was $3.50 but not sure. The trouble with UPS is; the brokerage fee is based on many things and nobody but UPS can predict it.

Standard shipping with UPS can be tracked and delivery times often max out at 5 days. At least you get great service for the big fees. USPS standard shipping runs about twice as long and tracking is an option. The good thing is, there's seldom any surprises when it reaches your door. With a high shipping price and slow service it sounds like your seller has shipped USPS! I'd be inclined to think your package is lost in the system.

I have had some e-mails from the supplier(fishing related), but to be honest was a bit peed off with the latest reply, i wont go into it yet about what they are saying before i can get an idea of why the hold up might be happening.

I have paid way less shipping on much more expensive items on ebay and regular retail outlets from the U.S. and had it arrive within the week.....so i'm thinking its something to do with it not being sent by USPS and getting dinged by either UPS'brokerage' fees or the freekin' government wanting another slice of my ever diminishing pie....or both.

I'm not too sure of the USPS/Customs procedures but I know when a FedEx or UPS shipment gets hung up at the border, the truck is usually carrying 500-1000 shipments. They always have; some shipments slated for inspection, port mismatches, pars not on file etc. All of which can be corrected and/or inspected within an hour or two with the assistance of the brokers. If they can not be corrected, they're put into bond. This might extend delivery by a couple/few days depending on the people handling the procedure. If it does not clear bond, it is returned to the shipper.

Whaddaya think folks?

I think you should start covering you butt and prepare for a PayPal/eBay complaint. Don't let it lapse beyond the 30 day (check that) window of opportunity to initiate an investigation.

"Brokerage fee" is other words for they bring a manifest into Customs with a few hundred items on it and get it stamped.

If you're shipping international and you have an option to clear customs yourself (and you live in driving distance to Pearson airport) it's cheaper to just do it yourself. You declare it, bring a copy of the receipt, and pay taxes. The brokerage fee is because the shipping company is clearing it with customs on your behalf. (I've heard it can be up to 70-80 bucks but I think it depends on the weight of the item, and who is shipping it)

Also sometimes it may take longer if customs needs to examine it.. so I would find a tracking number and call someone to get the status of the shipment.

Good luck!

another thing to factor in here is, alot of ontario parcels coming from the Us will actually be shipped to a port, like BC first. When that happens it usually adds a few weeks to the delivery. However, if a parcel is brokered, that shouldnt be the case at all.

limey, if you ever really need something in a pinch from the states, hit me up. I was born in international falls MN and have a mailbox on that side. Shipping usually only takes 2-3 days that way, then another day from Fort Frances to Dryden

NOW HE TELLS ME!!! :rofl2::rofl2::P

Thanks man...i will definitely use MBPS in future!

I'm gonna contact them this morning and find out a tracking number.

Thanks for all the replies/advice....good to know for the future.

This was not an Ebay/paypall ourchase so complaining that way is not an option, neither is collecting from Pearson...i'm a little bit far away for that, although the drive down along the coast of Lake Superior is beautiful :P

I'll let you all know the result of this...who knows...it might just be taking a while and turn up at no extra cost....doubt it though.

sadly. the goverments have tweeked the industrys to become taxation agents. brokerage is apaperwork goldmine for the brokerage firms. unless i can not purchase the product in canada,and only then will i be held hostage. how is it you can take shipments from asia, not be gouged but get gouged from u.s. shippers.since 9-11 brokerage,shipping,and taxations have been forefronted.these procedures have been killing trade between north-americans..we try to ship thru the mail services it is slower but, cheeper.

Everyone is right on about UPS and FEdEx. If it gets delivered (this has happened to me)and if there is a price tag you have to pay to receive it, just say you don't want it and return to sender. Than you need to inquire about a refund, but I wouldn't throw even $10 more on top of $20 shipping to receive a product. The store should know shipping policies and thus should refund your money without prejudice upon receiving their goods back. I bought $60 worth of fishing stuff two weeks ago, $18 shipped via USPS, had it within 7 days, no charges!!Of course the order was wrong and two products were defective :w00t::( Hope everything goes well for you?!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Over the last month or so I've placed at least a dozen orders online for stuff from the States. Most shipped via USPS, some UPS.

I've received everything within a week. Something's definitely not right waiting that length of time.

Beyond the ridiculous fees UPS charges, what's really annoying is they don't accept cash when delivered to your door.

I had a UPS delivery last week with a $5.85 charge that I was forced to put on my credit card.

What if someone doesn't have a credit card?

I had a UPS delivery last week with a $5.85 charge that I was forced to put on my credit card.

What if someone doesn't have a credit card?

They probably wouldn't be shopping online.

UPS drivers accepting cash would be too much of a target for thieves.