Question about border/taxes

limeyangler

just like crossing the border in yoiur vehicle, some cars get stopped and some dont. not all usps packages will get tagged for brokerage fees - but all ups packages will be tagged. so sometimes i pay at the door for usps stuff, sometimes you dont, but it will always be less than ups, who i just wont use anymore.

the vendor is likely not responsible for any delays. nor are they responsible for any customs fees or duties. and beating up on them really isn`t fair. they are not holding your parcel, or charging you duty, or collecting hst.

the hit and miss part can be a little frustrating, and the fact that the odd package takes two weeks longer than a similar package is odd too. it hasn`t been long enough to freak out yet, im going on 30 days for a package out of the states but its the odd one i guess.

good luck hope you get it soon and the brokerage fairy is kind to you.

just like crossing the border in yoiur vehicle, some cars get stopped and some dont. not all usps packages will get tagged for brokerage fees - but all ups packages will be tagged. so sometimes i pay at the door for usps stuff, sometimes you dont, but it will always be less than ups, who i just wont use anymore.

This is not accurate. "Brokerage" is determining the class of goods and reporting to customs for shipment. When you cross the border in a vehicle and the goods belong to you AND ARE IN YOUR POSSESSION, you do not require a broker, you simply declare the goods and country of origin.

When shipping an item, class of goods and origin will determine if the goods are eligible for entry into Canada and if duties and taxes will be applied.

With USPS, you are charged a flat brokerage fee incorporated into the shipping price. When the package arrives at your door, you MAY be required to pay duty and taxes.

With UPS, brokerage fees are over and above the shipping price. When the package comes to your door, you WILL pay brokerage fees and MAY pay applicable duties and taxes depending on the item value and whether or not is was declared gift/sample etc.

To make matters more confusing, some companies will ship UPS but handle brokerage and applicable taxes themselves. Cabela's is a perfect example of this. No surprises at the door when the UPS guy hands over that Cabela's box.

Thanks for all the replies folks.

it arrived yesterday in our post box...no extra charges!

Looked at the date stamp and they had not shipped till almost a week and a half after they took my order online.

I did speak to the guy who actually designed the product...really nice guy....he offered straight away to just send me another order by USPS if it turned out i was gonna get shafted...at no extra cost....ASAP.

I did say that i felt his quick responses and personal attention was great and he deserved a mention alone for the outstanding customer service.

Its basically a spare line tidier with a cutting edge...i just put it all on my spools that are forever unwinding in my tackle bag...AWESOME LITTLE INVENTION!

I dont know if i'm allowed to post the link so no hard feelings to the mods if they delete it...but it really is a cool little gizmo...and the customer service top notch so i feel it deserves a mention.

cool little gizmo link

Once again...thanks for all the replies and advice...OFC rocks!

Although the goods were shipped by USPS i did pass on to Rob(the designer/owner)the issues that can arise when using Fed-ex or UPS cross border.