Vacations??? Am I the only one?

jedimaster

Did you manage a trip on the Jolly Roger while you were there? Best $45 I ever spent!!!!!!

a four or five hour cruise with swimming, dancing and a steak dinner with all the drinks you could handle to wash 'er all down with. Been on that thing about 1/2 dozen times!!!! partytime2.gif

All you can drink rum swizzles served in 1 gallon jugs :stretcher:

I admit to being a Disney junkie. The place is ever evolving, so things are always changing. Bass fishing there and through the area is also good. Once every 3-4 years is good enough though.

Lying around the beach just tain't me. I need to be doing, and there is a lot of Canada still to do. :canadian:

Around 1992 I took my 2 boys and wife to Disney for the first time....went back the next year and again was amazed how well run this HUGE business was run....invested 5K when we got home and about 4 or 5 years later sold it after a 3 for 1 split and purchased a nice 20K+ coupe.....my son still drives it...since then we have been back about half a dozen times with last year being the most recent.

But life is about variety for me and the wife....errrrrr....that was until she discovered VEGAS and Black Jack....so we will be spending a few days again here.... PC260114.jpg

BTW I also HATE the beach.....dirty sand everywhere.... :wallbash:

Dude, I just took a week's vacation time to ice fish. LOL I totally hear ya! Yeah, prepare for months on end, spend a ton of cash so you can fly somewhere, spend more cash and drink a lot on a beach. I'd rather spend a little more on fishing for a week and come home and get drunk every night for 1/80th the price LOL

For what it costs to go to some of these island destinations for a week I can go to Alaska for 5 weeks and stay in my camper and chase trout and salmon every day!!! thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

Russian_Camp.gif

There are beautiful beaches to hang out on. beach.gif

Misc_8.gif

And beautiful turqoise waters just like the islands too. afro.gif

River_3.gif

HMMMMMMMM, a week on some beach in a third world country or........................

Yes Gerry.. the Sunset on Jan 20th

stmaartenjan2010170.jpg

..but any store will do..

stmaartenjan2010206.jpg

Marteen has become a tad too busy.. we hadn't been there since '91 and I don't think we'll be back.

The wife and I were on that beach and in that shop a few weeks ago Wayne and yes it was busy but the beer was cheap as I recall 1.50

I think we sometimes forget that marriage is a partnership. It's not just about what suits us personally.

The first time we were invited to go on a holiday in Mexico it was about the last thing I wanted to do, but I knew my wife really wanted it, so I sucked it up and agreed.

The first few days were every bit as boring as I figured, although I discovered there a lot of topless sunbathers just down the beach. That brightened the day somewhat. Then I realized the food was excellent - another bonus. But I was still bored sitting by the pool every day. I started to wander around the pools and the beach meeting new friends, some of whom remain good friends 15 years later, folks from all over Canada and the US. This was getting better all the time.

So I started looking at my other options. There were tours to be had very reasonably priced. I've always thought guided tours were kinda tacky but it turned out that there were lots of fascinating things to be seen not far from Cancun. There is a huge amount of Maya culture to be seen, from pyramids to entire cities that have been lost in the jungle for years but have only recently been unearthed. Coba is one of the newest locations to be made accessible and it's incredible. Unfortunately the pyramid at Chichen Itza can no longer be climbed but the one at Coba is open. It's about 300' high and a very steep climb. Not for the faint of heart.

Then one day I participated in a swimming pool dive experience, free, just to put on the gear and paddle around the bottom of a 5' pool. Too cool. And that led to a 3 hour resort course and an easy dive in 30' of water on a gorgeous bit of reef absolutely covered in exotic fishies and a whole bunch of Southern Sting Rays. We even saw a Nurse shark in the distance. This turned into a 10 year obsession for me including diving the Yucatan cenotes at least a few days on every holiday. Cenotes are caves btw. And they're beautiful. Intimidating at first but once you learn to do it right (i.e. with extreme care) it's amazing. This one little adventure led to me meeting folks and diving with them all over the Great Lakes, but even better, the Florida Keys and up the east Florida coast. To learn to dive safely and well I made a number of trips to quarried in Pennsylvania (Dutch Springs) and Ohio (Gilboa). The Gilboa trips became more of a gathering of friends than dive training.

So don't be afraid to share your holiday time with your spouse. It turned out that I had more fun in Cancun than my wife ever did just because I put a little effort into it. And she still thinks I do it for her.

JF

I think we sometimes forget that marriage is a partnership. It's not just about what suits us personally.

The first time we were invited to go on a holiday in Mexico it was about the last thing I wanted to do, but I knew my wife really wanted it, so I sucked it up and agreed.

The first few days were every bit as boring as I figured, although I discovered there a lot of topless sunbathers just down the beach. That brightened the day somewhat. Then I realized the food was excellent - another bonus. But I was still bored sitting by the pool every day. I started to wander around the pools and the beach meeting new friends, some of whom remain good friends 15 years later, folks from all over Canada and the US. This was getting better all the time.

So I started looking at my other options. There were tours to be had very reasonably priced. I've always thought guided tours were kinda tacky but it turned out that there were lots of fascinating things to be seen not far from Cancun. There is a huge amount of Maya culture to be seen, from pyramids to entire cities that have been lost in the jungle for years but have only recently been unearthed. Coba is one of the newest locations to be made accessible and it's incredible. Unfortunately the pyramid at Chichen Itza can no longer be climbed but the one at Coba is open. It's about 300' high and a very steep climb. Not for the faint of heart.

Then one day I participated in a swimming pool dive experience, free, just to put on the gear and paddle around the bottom of a 5' pool. Too cool. And that led to a 3 hour resort course and an easy dive in 30' of water on a gorgeous bit of reef absolutely covered in exotic fishies and a whole bunch of Southern Sting Rays. We even saw a Nurse shark in the distance. This turned into a 10 year obsession for me including diving the Yucatan cenotes at least a few days on every holiday. Cenotes are caves btw. And they're beautiful. Intimidating at first but once you learn to do it right (i.e. with extreme care) it's amazing. This one little adventure led to me meeting folks and diving with them all over the Great Lakes, but even better, the Florida Keys and up the east Florida coast. To learn to dive safely and well I made a number of trips to quarried in Pennsylvania (Dutch Springs) and Ohio (Gilboa). The Gilboa trips became more of a gathering of friends than dive training.

So don't be afraid to share your holiday time with your spouse. It turned out that I had more fun in Cancun than my wife ever did just because I put a little effort into it. And she still thinks I do it for her.

JF

Some very good points there John, thanks.

We have an 18 month old, I'm just plain scared to travel far distances right now. My wife and I have had mini vacations by dropping off the kid at one of our parents and hit a hotel for a couple nights. Those are fun getaways for us. We hit the movies, pool, have a nice dinner and go for a walk. It's worth a few hundred bucks to get that much needed break in together.

My wife and I have had mini vacations by dropping off the kid at one of our parents and hit a hotel for a couple nights. Those are fun getaways for us. We hit the movies, pool, have a nice dinner and go for a walk. It's worth a few hundred bucks to get that much needed break in together.

Loved those weekenders with Debbe when the kids where small. Some of my best holiday memories...and we where never more then 5 hours away from home.

Me too. I'm like a little kid down there. Unfortunately we've gotten out of that mode since we've been going to Cancun every January. I'm hoping that our new grandson who's due any day now will be my excuse for some more trips back to Mickey Land. I even enjoy the drive down there. Not so much the drive home.

And you're right. It's smack in the middle of great bass fishing country. In fact it seems to me a member here wrote about hiring a guide and doing some fishing there a few years back.

Sure, it's tacky and cheesy and expensive, but dayum - it's fun.

JF

First time I went to Cancun (about 30 years ago)... it actually WAS a fishing trip .. we drove up the coast about an hour went out for the day in a 'punta' and caught lots of 5' barracuda with a local who took us out for the day for about $50 :)

I agree though beaches aint my thing ... unless there is coral .. then I love to snorkel ...its almost like fishin except you can see them but cant really catch them (now that spear fishin is all frowned upon and all)

Edited by camillj