New kitchen cupboards question

Eddyk

Im going to completly gut the kitchen in my new house and install all new cupboards. My question is should I go with a big store like IKEA or HOME DEPOT or should I go with a small independent company. With the big stores they hire a private installer but with the small store they do there own installation. Has anyone had any good or bad experience with either or have any opinions which way to go ?

I had Home Depot Install a door.

I was not happy. After researching, unfortunately after the fact, I found I could have gotten it installed for about half the price had we found our own installer. Simple math and common sense says that HD must make money on the product and the install, but they pay the installer and keep a portion. That says to me they upcharge the install.

They do have good product, but find you own installer if you go that route, IMO.

Eddyk I have had two major purchases from the big box stores and wasn't happy with either one's install (subcontractors from the stores). Both jobs weren't done on time, as a matter of fact the one a kitchen floor install that was quoted as taking one day took over two weeks and two subcontractors later and myself finishing the job.

Did the kitchen cabinet thing and hired a small shop and work was done by their own people and was quite happy with their work, but most importantly the WIFE was happy :D

From my experience in the future I will stick to installs from the smaller guys or do it myself.

Whopper

Edited by Whopper

Based on my experiances with home depot I only buy things there when I have to. If I have to ask them a question on anything then I will get my stuff elsewhere. They are usually incorrect. I know it should not be that way but I have gotten better service from other stores.

I would rather spend the money an go to a smallercabinet shop. have them give you a design layout you like order the cabinets do the tearout yourself ( should be real easy ) and let them install.

I have met a few folks that their companies do installs for HD and they all say that they will do it cheaper all by themselfs and will do a better job when there name is on the line and not home depots.

HD must make money on the product

Not on everything! Some products are marked up 10% or less. HD makes their money on the way they invest their suppliers money while they are holding onto it for 60 to 90 days. Hd is fine for a do it yourselfer and then that is what you get, a do it yourself application.

And it's not fair to slam HD or any other firm that makes a bit of a mark up on the cost of an installer, they are taking on the responsibility of the installation along with the coordination of it all.

If you want a good quality installation of cabinets, windows, doors or other products search out a reputable local contractor. Don't cheap out by going to a handyman type of character or a fly by night guy. (In the window biz these are known as "hook and ladder" guys.)

Ask your friends, neighbours and relatives for referrals, check the BBB and ask questions!

stay away from the depot on the installed services. Im a general and I do about 70 kitchens a yr, the quality is nothing to write home about and the install services are about the same with the depot. Where clients run into issues is if there are delays or problems.

I would stay away from Home Depot for installation of anything

they hire sub-contractors who in turn hire sub-contractors and no one assumes responsibility for the work

I know someone who had one of those poured houses built by HD it was out of level and wrong sizes, no windows would fit

...they are still trying to get it corrected........their dream house ...is a piece of crap that they don't even want to live in now.......I wouldn't let HD install anything

I wouldn't let HD install anything either. My girlfriend has had a couple of things done by them and we were not impressed at all. Ie. - going to have to have all the carpets re-stretched, lifting and buckling. Bigger bucks to install then some others I had quote me when I was getting new doors put in a well. (almost double the price) Friends of mine had the guys come out 4 times to get their kitchen counter top installed, they kept cracking the top. :rolleyes::wallbash: Some others might have had good experiences but I've heard of none.

I second the custom cabinet maker. We renovated a house and went that route. We then bought a house with a re-done kitchen by HD. Everyhting looks OK, but every time I open and close a cupboard it irritates me. You really notice how often you use the cupboards. Go with the best you can afford. Future buyers notice the difference as well.

cheers

When I renovated our house I bought all my kitchen cabnets from HD. I was pleased with the quality and the price but I did the assembly and instalitation myself. It wasn't that hard to do, I took my time, followed directions, measured everything twice and it turned out quite well and I saved a pile of money on the labor to have them installed.

Friends of mine are building a new house and bought all their cabnets through Direct Buy. Their cabnets came all pre assembled (except for the counter tops) and the quality is excellent. Doors & drewers work smothly, the quality isn't bad (they are composites) and buy purchasing them through Direct Buy they saved a fortune.

I work through a custom cabinet shop in Fergus.

We do completely custom kitchens (even build our own doors)

Take it from me, stay away from anything Ikea or HD.

They are slap together box cupboards, not dado'd edges.

(basically means they are slapped straight on instead of half and half mounted)

Id enjoy seeing atleast one HD kitchen come complete....they are always missing a door or side gable. Not to mention the selection is crap.

Custom shops deal through numerous companies to supply; hardware, handles/knobs, stain colours, countertops, types and shades of wood, crownmolding...etc

Its a no brainer IMO.

With a small custom shop you also get service.

I have replaced doors and hinges from kitchens built 15 years ago all for free.

Theres no written warrantee but if you research a company and see that theyve been around for over 20 years then you know what your getting.

In my opinion, if you want to rip out the old cabinets and install the new ones yourself, that is fine. Go ahead and buy the units from a store such as HD.

If you want someone to install them, that is different. Most contractors require a combination of labour and materials to make a decent gross profit margin on there work. I would say that if you clean out the old ones and make the walls ready, let the cabinet contractor supply and install the new ones. He will be responsible for fit, quality, and everything else that goes with the job. He makes a profit and you get a decent job that you are happy with. Maybe a couple of quotes along this line to be sure the price is fair and you are good to go. You still save by supplying part of the labour for the rip out.

Good luck!

Id also like to add that installing cupboards properly is not an easy task at hand.

Mass produced cupboards usually fit to the ground.

Water and kitchens go together in one basket and Im sure most

of you know what water does to particle board.

Higher end kitchens have self leveling feet that are a few extra bucks.

The base for the cupboards are one piece and they snap on and off whenever

you need to access underneath cupboards.

Id love to PM you but my PMs are whacked.

Rattle trap has it nuts on here.When a homeowner supplies the parts the contractor is giving away any quality control he has over the job and cannot warranty the materials.Better to have the contractor supply the parts and labor so you have some sort of recouse if it doesn't work out.The other route to go is to buy and install yourself,if you are confident that you can do it yourself buy the best quality cabinets you can and go for it...good luck,

Joe

BTW I have seen some of the contractors that HD uses and there is no way in he doubletoothpicks that they would get anywhere near my house.

ill never have anything installed by anyone else because i like to do everything myself so i have no input on the home depot installation. but, i do know how contractors figure their prices which is why i do everything myself....

as for people at home depot not knowing anything. i guess the brantford store employees must be ALOT different than others. obviously you need to talk to the right person to get proper answers. you cant go ask billy over in plumbing a question about what drywall mud to use.

i bought a house a month ago and im redoing everything. insulation, drywall, flooring, and everything in the kitchen and bathroom. the people at home depot have helped out a great deal so i go there for everything. even with a bunch of very uncommon problems they have helped solve the problems. i just found out a couple days ago the people in lighting have to take a little course on residential lighting. obviously the young employees cant help ya much because they dont have experience but the older ones really know what they are talking about.

as for cabinets i was going to buy all new ones until i checked out a few prices. cant afford all new cabinets so it was either paint em or strip them and see what the paint is hiding. so i decided to strip the paint (5 coats!) and im glad i did because the cabinet doors are a really nice looking wood with awesome grain. not sure what kind it is though.

i say go buy your cabinets and try putting them in yourself. just search the net for tips and take your time.

I am putting cabinets in a small room I've torn down and rebuilt. It's going to be a walk in pantry. I just finished another room for my wife, basically it's a walk in closet. We got all the cabinets and cupboards from IKEA. For these rooms, IKEA is just fine.

A number of years ago, we did a new kitchen. (Beckerman) We've raised 4 kids and the cupboards have held up well. The doors, drawers and cupboards are still solid. I don't think IKEA would have held up as well.

In short, if you're on a budget, a little handy, and not to particular about style or longevity, IKEA is fine. However; the kitchen is the most used and abused room in the house, and I would suggest you take the time and check into getting it done by someone who does it for a living. Quotes are free, and they should be able to give you a reference or two so you can see or hear about their work. Good luck, Andy

Edited by Andy